Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
zzmelayu
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poustman

My impression is that more folks consider the bike capable of vigorous fieldwork than feel it is not up to the task. This suggests to me that the rider more than the machine is the measure of what terrain an F650GS can tackle-- and that it will do very well indeed well on paved roads for anyone.
Poustman, I will be pushing the envelope of my ability on this bike in the next few months and I will be more than happy to share my experience with you.

Set it up right for offroad adventure travel, I think the bike is unstoppable. Of course it does not have the 1200GS power nor the 800GS ground clearance nor the 650 Dakar light weight. It was not meant to be. It is perfect for shorties like me (or petit women) who want a smooth fast bike on tar with lots of offroad capabilities to explore any gravel road or mountain pass.
zzmelayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
conrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmelayu
Great picture !
Old 10-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
rolo99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Anyone know what tires are on the Blue 650 in the front?
rolo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #19
Morten K (DK)
Dedicated all-roader

Oddometer: 13
I like it A LOT

I was getting rid of my sportsbike this spring and was looking to buy an all-road bike. I decided on the BMW F650 GS Twin and I LOVE IT !
It is a perfect commuter in the city and with a few modifications (primarily wind screen and seat) I'm looking very much forward to taking it on long journeys next year. Also I have done a weekend of dirt road touring and it did an excellent job, even with the standard Bridgestone battle wing tyres.

So it is really a multi-purpose bike just as I have hoping for.

/Morten K
BMW F650 GS 08
Denmark
Morten K (DK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #20
Thorvald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Can only agree with everyone else here. I have both the F800ST and the F650GS. The 650 is basically my 800 but slightly taller and upright seating position lol.

Don't forget that it's not a 650cc motor, it's an 800cc. Everyone seems to get confused on this, it has loads of power for two-up and long tours.

If your taller, you can consider some of the NEW items in the BMW catalog, the Touring Windshield (I bought it and loved it). They also make a comfort seat now but it's too tall for me (and a rallye seat but it's WAYYYYYYY too tall for me).

I've started to load mine up for more off-road adventures (Skid plate, crash bars, hand guards, TKC-80 tires, etc). Looks like it's going to be a killer setup when I'm done and a blast to ride (the F800GS was also just too tall). Thankfully the F650GS and F800GS share the same frame, motor, etc so everything that fits the F800GS fits the F650GS.

Cheers
Tim
Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #21
zzmelayu
n00b

Heidenau tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo99
Anyone know what tires are on the Blue 650 in the front?
The tyres are Heidenau K60
Old 10-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #22
zzmelayu
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrado
Great picture !
Thanks Conrado.
It was the only 650 twin on the trip running with the proven big boys 1200GS/800GS.

P.S. Photo taken on the salt plain of Verneukpan, South Africa.
P.P.S. Here is another pix of the 650 at sunrise

zzmelayu screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 06:01 AM
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #23
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Thanks Conrado.
It was the only 650 twin on the trip running with the proven big boys 1200GS/800GS.

P.S. Photo taken on the salt plain of Verneukpan, South Africa.
P.P.S. Here is another pix of the 650 at sunrise

that's a hell of a shot man! dam nice scene, bike, camera & dam nice photo-taking skills!
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #24
zzmelayu
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han
that's a hell of a shot man! dam nice scene, bike, camera & dam nice photo-taking skills!
thanks nat_han. It is a pleasure to share it with other inmates.

The picture only tells part of the story. The real thrill is the part of riding your beloved bike hard all day, pushing yourself, then finding a nice campsite, watching a gorgeous sunset, cooking a good braai (BBQ) and sleeping under the stars!!! I doze off with a big grin reminiscing what a great day of riding it was and what the next day will bring. Aahh to be on the open road!

Better still to do it with good mates!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #25
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:

The 19" alloy wheel is a worry but unless you ride it hardcore it should not be a problem to 95% of the riders out there.

PM me if you want more info on my setup
Dude, BMW should use that as a PR shot. It takes a few glances to realise they're not all 800GS!

What's with the orange lens covers? I've seen lots of South Africans do that...

PS - Take it from a Wee owner, a 19" alloy front is only a problem if you forget what you're riding. Keep the pressures a touch higher, and be mindful it's not a WR250, and it's fine.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #26
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
The F650 Twin is a great bike for touring. From WI to the Dragon, this is my second time down here this year. Foot pegs are getting a little scraped up. It is a low one. 10000 miles and counting.
Crilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #27
zzmelayu
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Dude, BMW should use that as a PR shot. It takes a few glances to realise they're not all 800GS!

What's with the orange lens covers? I've seen lots of South Africans do that...

PS - Take it from a Wee owner, a 19" alloy front is only a problem if you forget what you're riding. Keep the pressures a touch higher, and be mindful it's not a WR250, and it's fine.
18 bikes on the trip, 16 BMWs: 1 650/T, 2 800s, 3 650 Dakars, 10 1200GS/GSA

@orange covers: makes you 200% more visible on road when you filter thru traffic (in US, splitting traffic). It is legal in SA. Most Cagers are courteous here in SA, they actually pulled to side to give you space to let you overtake. Offroad, you see your buddies behind you through the dust cloud better.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #28
la fletche
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Not sure how many BMW dealers there are in your area but I would be more inclined to go for something like a Kawa Versys, More road oriented but with good upright ride and fair shock clearance.