User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
lakecntyrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
First KTM Adventure In The Oregon Countryside

After having the KTM 990 for over a year now, and riding a number of short day trips out to the coast, it was time to take it out for an adventure ride. Plan was originally to trailer the bike to Grants Pass, Oregon, and meet my Dad and his friend Jens, and ride around Oregon. It seemed a waste to cover all that country with the bike on the trailer, so decided to trailer the bike to Lakeport, California, and ride-up highway 101. I would spend the first night camping in the Redwoods outside of Crescent City. After that, meet-up with my Dad in Grants Pass, ride out to the Oregon coast, and then back towards Eastern Oregon.

I was really looking forward to go, but was going to miss the family ...

The next morning, packed the bike and was ready to go.

After about 5 1/2 hours on the road, finally arrived at Mill Creek Campground in Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park. It was a last minute decision to camp there, and did not get the best spot, but it was a good start.

Life is good ...

Broke camp and set off for Grants Pass. Welcome chill in the air, after the hot ride up from Lakeport. Coming out of the Redwoods, Crescent City presents itself through the trees. No fog. Great morning.

Another last minute decision was to take a short detour into Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park before I met my Dad in Oregon. On the web, discovered that you can get into the park via Howland Hill Road in Crescent City. This is a spectacular ride, about 6-7 miles of well maintained dirt road.

The scenery on this road is incredible, but unfortunately, my pictures did not do it justice. I've attached a couple that turned out okay.

Finally, made it to Grants Pass. My Dad's friend, Jens, joined us, and we were ready to go.

The plan was to go over Bear Camp Road through the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest, and camp somewhere by the coast.

On Bear Camp Road.

As it turned out, we didn't spend much time on the coast. The wind gusts were strong, and it was a pain riding through it. We did what we could to get back inland, and decided to drive down Elk River Road to look for a place to camp. Found a near empty campground along the river. It was primitive, no water or garbage, but great campsite, as you could walk to the river and hear it rushing right next to the campground.

When we woke-up, decided to head east. At the top, the fog was streaming over the mountain tops.

Great terrain.

While I was busy taking this picture, my Dad and Jens encountered a bear on the trail ahead. Looked at them a couple of times before it decided to take-off. Need to keep your eyes open while traveling this country.

Great single lane roads.

To make a long story short, we intended to go east, but on the dirt road, made a wrong turn somewhere and ended-up going west. The riding was great, but it was an 80 mile detour, which ultimately, changed many of our plans to go deeper into eastern Oregon on this trip. We did about 300 miles on pavement and dirt this day, and unfortunately, I didn't get too many pictures, as we were trying to make some time to the next campground.

We pulled into Union Creek Campground, quickly cooked-up some camp food, and called it an early night.

Afer the long day before, we decided to do an easier ride the next day. First stop, Crater Lake.

I had never been there, and it's everything people say it is. Really glad that we were able to visit on this ride. After Crater Lake, off to another beautiful Oregon lake - Diamond Lake.

This day was an easy riding day and we were taking our time. Time to head over to Lemolo Lake Resort for some lunch at the lodge.

Beef tri-tip sandwich - welcome change after camp food ...

After eating, crossed Lemolo Lake Dam ...

... and headed down numerous beautiful backroads.

Around every corner, another picturesque scene.

This was the first trip for Jens and I on dirt with the big bikes. The KTM was right at home on these roads. Jens and his V-Strom had no problem tackling them either.

Time to pull into our last campground of the trip - Waldo Campground.

A short walk from the campground to the lake ...

Great end of the day.

At this point, we had been eating whatever we had on board the bikes every night. It was totally fine, as we were prepared for it, but we thought we might be at a restaurant or two during the trip. Jens and I were having fun giving my Dad (the trip coordinator) a hard time, and the people in the campground next to us evidently overheard us. They came over feeling sorry for us, thinking we had no food, and offered us leftover lasagne they had that night. Of course, that added more fuel to the fire ...

For the final day in Oregon, we originally planned to be further east, and work our way back to Grants Pass, but it would have been too much riding to do all of this in a day. We decided to work our way back from Waldo Lake to Grants Pass, and spent much of the day on highway roads. After we returned, I decided to cut some of the next day's riding off and headed back for Crescent City to get a hotel room.

Next morning, ready for the final leg. Beautiful morning in Crescent City.

... and you can't beat driving down the California coast.

Arrived in Lakeport tired, but wishing it could go on. Great trip. Six days, 1500 miles of riding. Can't get enough of riding through Oregon. Time to plan the next one ...

lakecntyrider screwed with this post 08-31-2009 at 06:55 AM
lakecntyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Looks like a great and relaxing ride!Thanks for the report and pics
Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
79SouthJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Great pix! Thanks for posting. I have to head north one of these days.

Jim
79SouthJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
JMB_ADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thumb

Thank s!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
Firestorm

Oddometer: 5,221
Nice! Oregon is a nice place isn't it
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
dezertpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
That was rad, that is my next bike (The KTM).
dezertpilot is offline   Reply With Quote