Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #76
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 631
Holy shit!!! Definitely an interesting start to your adventure. Im hooked. Glad to hear that youre okay after what sounded like a crazy crash!
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #77
Dogtown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Crashmaster!!!

Dude! Holy Chit!!! Glad to hear your ok!! Man, I tell ya I spent half my time looking in my mirrors on Mex 1 because even doing 70+ mph freaks are pasing you like your standing still! Mother Fu*ker!!! That really could have been it!

Let me know if you need me to look for any parts or gear up here in Nor Cal. I got a set of Ortlieb softbags you can have if ya want em! Unless you want to go with some hard boxes to protect that bike a bit more in a get off!

Oh, your regular MD should write you a script for "just in case" pain meds for a trip like yours, hit him up!

Sean

Marin County To Cabo!

Dogtown screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 09:11 PM
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #78
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Subscribed! It always seems to be that lost moment of concentration......
or those damned black cows at night seeking warmth from the blacktop....

Ride on, while I get another pad for my easychair and vicariously come along.
prsdrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #79
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Holy shit Vince...I go riding for a week with no internet access and this is what I come home to find! Glad you're okay buddy!

Gimme a call when you're back in San Diego. I'm flying Thursday night for 12 days and then I'm off for five weeks.

Get home safe!

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #80
BusinessSocks
A real Trucker Cap

Oddometer: 59
This is definitely an interesting thread.

I try to imagine what circumstances would lead to my ability to begin this type of journey. Currently it seems I can only keep my fingers crossed.

Good Luck. Now that your crash is out of the way, you should be good the rest of the trip.
BusinessSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #81
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 17,055
We seem to have it all, adventure, a good story teller, and a wreck right off the bat. This could be *my* ride LOL

Subscribed and have a Tequila for me

John
Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #82
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Whoa!

Hey, I have done this ride- only for about eight months though, not two years. I plan to follow along ifn you don't mind.

Are you spending plenty of time over at www.horizonsunlimited.com ? You should be if you are not.

BTW this ride report has he best title I have seen here in a long time :-)
Old 09-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #83
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Geez! What a way to begin the ride south! Super glad you're OK. Hope the bike is too and that you're able to carry on soon.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #84
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Sorry, this is too good to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster to Raoul Duke
Damn dude, you got a long way to go. Quit crashing that scooter, its got to last a while.

Do what I do when shit goes wrong, sit down and think about it for a while, relax. Have a couple of pulls off the Tequila flask that should be in your pack, it makes everything seem a lot better. Beat the bike into submission with whatever means at your disposal. Ride.

glad youre not busted up.
I´ve had EXACTLY that same fear since I got down here - the high speed double pass coming up behind you. It´s like this whole country uses The Fast and the Furious for driver´s ed.

I´ve been down once on a collision so far. Topes mishap where I bounced off a guy´s rear bumper. Oh yeah, watch out - no one has brake lights either....

Seriously, glad you´re alright! Get your ass down here pronto man.
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #85
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
In San Quintin now. I will hit the border tomorrow and start the parts ordering.

I anticipate a couple of weeks before I'm ready to roll again. The bike seems to be running fine and as far as I can tell the forks are not bent. I feel kind of bummed about heading back home to fix things up, but its way easier and quicker than pushing on to Guadalajara to wait on parts and fix the bike, not mention it will be much cheaper to do at home.

Yesterday ztrab (Miguel) and I stripped the bike down and rigged everything back together to get it in a ridable condition. We did all of this in the parking lot of the Malarrimo hotel in G. Negro.

I'll need new handlebars, handguards, tank guards, headlight and headlight mask, new frame behind the mask that hold the wiring harnesses, new luggage rack, possibly a subframe, new bags, throttle cable, mirrors, windscreen, new front rim, rear brake lever, front brake lever and possible master cylinder, helmet, riding jacket, pants, and some other stuff I cant think of right now.

To tell you the truth, I'm just happy to be alive and well. I didnt even get so much as a scratch on me. tumbling down the rough ass Mexican asphalt at 70 mph is quite an experience. Had I not been geared up the way I was I would have for sure had to test out my medjet assist insurance and go to the Scripps trauma center in San Diego. Thats assuming that I would have survived.

I cant say enough good stuff about the Motoport Kevlar mesh. I dropped at least 6 bills on that jacket and it was worth every f'ing penny. The pants did their job as well. All of it had the quad armor, and I can testify that its good shit. In addition I was wearing Sidi Crossfire MX boots and they saved my feet and ankles. I realize how very lucky I am as well. I could have easily been run over by the truck.

I've had some spectacular off road crashes in my little riding carreer, but this one on the pavement was really spooky. It was not so much the speed, but it was the possibility of getting run over by the pickup, or Miguel's HP2 that was so frightening.

I also cant say enough about Ramon and Rubin, (the guys in the truck) Eventhough the whole thing was my fault, they helped me out and took care of shit like I was a brother. Wow, just good solid people. I tried to give Ramon (the driver) some cash for gas and to fix the bumper of his pickup, but Ramon refused to take a dime from me. So when we stopped at the hotel and Ramon got out of his truck I slipped a couple hundred bucks in his center console without him seeing it. It was the least I could do. I figured the guy at least deserved some compensation for his time and fuel and to the fix the dings I put in his truck.

I'll work on uploading some pics and some proper ride report text in the next couple of days.

I am not deterred by this incident. I'm looking at it as a shakedown cruise and promise to get going again as soon as my gear comes in and I get the bike fixed up.

Thanks for your comments everyone, its much appreciated.

Hasta luego.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-21-2009 at 10:28 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:38 AM   #86
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,038
oh crap !! thats a bad start, but a start nevertheless

wish you safe riding .....
Old 09-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #87
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Esta "chingooon gueyyyyyy"!!!!! no mames!
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #88
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Bloody hell Crashy!

If this is a way you start a ride, I can't wait to see the stunt at the end.

Take care and I hope the bike repaires get sorted out soon.
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #89
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,401
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #90
jcorni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Remember that is not an airplane your on, it actually has mirrors Thank god your ok. Maybe place a little reminder note on your dash to check mirrors at least until it becomes a habit. I know when I first started riding on the street it used to freak me out when a car would pass and I had no idea it was coming. Good luck on your trip, I'll be watching from Ramona.
Joe
jcorni is offline   Reply With Quote