Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #91
jcorni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
If there is anything I can do for you locally( S D area) while you are on your trip let me know, I will be glad to help.
jcorni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #92
rogerfjrfaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Talking SD to SA

Crashmaster
Sorry to here of your setback but good gear is the best, I have the same rideing gear, I'm in for the duration of this post.
roger'sklr
Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #93
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Wow Crash, I didn't realize you took your name so seriously LOL Good to hear you're OK and still planning to head south.

I've subscribed to this one! Your pace sounds slower than mine so I may catch up in a month or two

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #94
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
Glad to hear you're OK and that the crash is not a trip stopper.

I'm pretty sure you learned it the hard way, but take it from someone who lives in Latin America: always be alert when on the bike (if your mind starts wondering, maybe it's time to stop for a drink, a photo, a piss or whatever), keep your speed slower that you would keep on similar roads in the US (not taking into account the US speed limits) and give other vehicles plenty of space.

Ride on!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #95
dutch2004
Dreaming the dream...zzz

Oddometer: 66

Dude! I subcribed to this thread for the adventure, the girls, the roads, the pictures, the excitement of traveling in a different world. Cut the crap, no more of this accident sh*t!!

Good luck with all the fixes. I believe you can send your jacket back and if they can't fix it they'll send you a new one, no charge. Check it out anyway. I'm glad to hear you are OK, albeit a bit shaken up. Take care out there and be safe!!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #96
sp4ce
Orange Invader

Oddometer: 431
Fooknell Vince. Guess you won't be boring us. Glad you are OK.

I straightened my subframe by laying the bike on its side, hanging it from a ceiling beam by the subframe and jumping on it. Worked OK...not totally straight, but mostly. Something to consider if the $$$ start adding up. Wish I had something laying around to offer you...US headlight? Throttle cables?, well-loved Caribous? None really worth much to you.

Get her back together and enjoy your ride. Buen viaja, jefe.
sp4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #97
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Eye Witness

So much to tell................ Vinny you have some splaining to do. Three rides and we only loaded Vinny's bike into a Mexican truck on two of them. I have seen dead bodies before, Vin was a flipping dead ringer until he cracked an eye and muttered, I think I am okay. Shit, I was already taking parts off his bike............... I will let Vinny tell it all under my watchful eye. Not a mark on the Vin, however, I think his feet died - I thought it was low tide or the stool backed up when we got our room in GN - it was Vinny's feet.

No sand in you mangina Vincent. Spill it & post the photos.

Didi I mention that I had to to eat 390 miles of thermonuclear heat to get home from Tecate. Hey, no problema, Vin lives, I can't imagine the balance of the re-ride.

Glad you made it in one piece, would you start looking left and right once in a while???????????

YUMA, no hoes here. I am going to bed so I can leave a midnight.

I'm out.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #98
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Just got home. Glad the renters arent in my place yet. I dropped the bike off at All American KTM in Ramona, CA. Good dudes, great shop. Tim the mechanic got off work, then drove me 45 minutes to my house, then had to drive another hour back to his house. Amazing. They are ordering up the parts and I'm going to have them do the work because I have more than enough shit to take care of, and I trust them to work on my bike. Actually, its the only KTM shop I trust to touch my bike, they do excellent work. I cant say enough good things about RJ, Brent, Tim, and Pops at All American KTM. Top notch people, and they run a first class customer service operation.

Actually, its surprising how little damage was done to the bike considering other bikes I have seen that have crashed on the pavement.

Anyway, I know the bike has mirrors, or well, it used to. I know how to use them, most of the time. It was a brain fart moment that happened at the worst possible time, and it bit me. If you dont think it could happen to you, think again. I feel bad enough about making a stupid mistake, I got complacent. I will make mistakes again, I will have moments of complacency again, but hopefully without dire consequences. Thats the way it is. Maybe a little reminder note on the dash is a good idea. Funny thing, running 115 mph down a Baja dry lake bed doesnt phase me. Nor does riding that fine line between blasting through the whoops or wadding yourself up in ball of broken metal and bones. However, when youre just happily cruising along some slab enjoying the view is when the worst shit is most likely to happen. When I ride off raod I am amped up and hyper aware of every little nuance in the trail ahead. The pavement tends to lull me to sleep. Not good.

Also. Miguel (ztrab) is a f'ing rockstar. I dont want to say too much good shit about him because he will need to buy a bigger helmet. I would ride straight into hell with him and be giving the devil the adv salute as we rode by, because in the company of a solid dude like Mike, we will get through anything. Thanks for everything Miguelito, you're grade A amigo. When we get to the Philippines, I will hook you up.

This trip is not over. It just had a little setback for a couple of weeks. I am headed back out as soon as the parts arrive and bike is good to go. Hell, I'm already packed, I just need some new bags, and new riding gear and get the bike back into long distance shape.

It's WAY easier to re-group in San Diego than to ride 4 times the distance south to a place where I could get things back in order, at probably 5 times the cost. It just made the most sense to take care of this in San Diego. I was only a day and half away via pavement. It was a no brainer.

Thanks for the encouragement and offers for help, you folks rock! Stay tuned and thanks for hanging in there with me.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-16-2009 at 09:43 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #99
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Home via Tecate

We bugged out of San Quintin around 9:30 am Wed., naturally on Mexican Independence Day when all those little towns close off Mex 1, to cap off the abbreviated Adios Vinny 1000. I made it back to Tucson at 5:30 am the next day. Holed up in Yuma around 5 in the afternoon Wed. to wait for the sun to go down - my wife being smarter than I will ever be, convinced me to rent a room and sleep until midnight - I called Vinny to see what he was up to before I sacked out and he had been at the KTM dealer since early afternoon sipping cool beverages in the mild coastal breeze while I was begging gas station attendants to hose me down in Ocotillio and El Centro. It was actually cooler there than when I started across El Golfo north to Mexicali last Friday (116 degrees). We did so much hot weather riding/sleeping that I had to bump my AC up at home.

On day 2, Vinny soldiered up and spent 4 plus hour cooking himself on a 20 mile stretch of the worst washboard road in Baja looking for things like my FM2, registration, cash, and my RX stash, all of which bounced out along a 4-mile section when I failed to zip the f'ing tail bag up in my haste to get to Gonzaga the day/night before, after spending 4 hours in the moonless Baja night sky looking for a vehicle to give me a jump start. Since I got in at 3:am, stalled my bike at the gate about 1 plus mile from Alphonsina's - never seen a gate before - I left my bike in the weeds and walked with Pedro, Vinny's latest new best amigo who assure me it was no muy far..... woke Vinny from his puddle of sweat so I could drink his water and whine, and of course met up with three crazy families from Tecate who drank all the way from home to Gonzaga and also arrived at 3:00 am. The guys got the family settled in, drank some more beers and took me to jump start my bike. Turns out one of them was an expert rider with at least a 28 inch inseam. He had to ride my HP - what do you say to a Baja Amigo who just helped you out. Anyway, what's a new Remus can between new buds............So an hour and half of sleep and blissfully pondering my air conditioned room in San Felipe after Vinny returns empty handed, I proceed to drink and swim my life away on day 2 of The Adios Vinny 1000. Vinny returned, parched and smelling like low tide with the grin of doom - heat stroke was a small price to pay for him to see the look on my face when he handed me my paperwork, money, Spot, cap, cash, pills... poof, back to plan A, more heat and deprivation until we drop into La Paz. Hey I said I was in and I showed up Friday, err technically Saturday, and I wasn't going to wus out, day 3 plan was to stop at Coco's then head to San Ignacio or Mulge, depending on what was still standing. Coco was awesome but he only had two other riders stop since his return in early January. His place has been rebuilt, he need more Baja-sikided underpants, meds, cash and mosst importantly, riders to stop in.

For our southbound day, we had the typical Baja bongo hot line reports, water, no water, power no power, road is gone, road is fine.... we weren't concerned cuz we have great travel luck.

The rest is history, lot of laughs once Vinny was convinced he wasn't in a comma hallucinating all of the events after his incident (his feet should have been in the morgue). In the grand scheme of things - no problema.

Looks like Vinny will sprint down the peninsula on his restart solo, though there are lots of riders, maybe posers? on the board that ought to finish the Adios 1000. Me, I am cleaning the shower tile with a tooth brush, washing windows, fixing the sprinklers, getting fitted for a dress........... Thanks for having a pulse Vinny, though you are still a pecker-head and you better send me my gator or I am calling your mom

Saludos,

Miguel
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #100
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

I kind of got out of order here with the crash and all, but let me back up a little bit and start from the beginning to get a proper RR going............

It was a surreal morning as I loaded up the bike and rode away from my home. I felt detached from reality. It was almost like an out of body experience, watching myself load up and ride away. However, it still feels like a little two week Baja trip as I sit here at Mike's Sky Rancho. I'm in a familiar place with familiar sights, sounds, but I'm still close to home. My backyard, so to speak. It has not yet sunk in my head what I actually intend to do. Holy crap.

Here is the obligatory shot of the ODO before departure.

I stopped at Tecate, and got the tourist visa, which I never get when I ride Baja, but this trip is going a bit further. The Migracion officer asked where I was going. I told him I was going to Tierra del Fuego. With raised eyebrows he looked at me and said, "Tierra del Fuego, as in South America, Argentina? On that moto?" "Si" I replied. He mumbled something like, "good luck with that" and went back to filling out the visa. Maybe he knows something I dont.

Headed down the Compadre Trail toward Ojos Negros............

Then onto Mike's Sky Rancho.

Its been a while since I have ridden the 990 loaded up. Although the bike performs well with a load, it really is a different machine in "burro" mode. It took a little getting used to all the weight as it almost got away from me when I was going through some small whoops bottoming the rear suspension. In the coming weeks I'm going to try and figure out what I get rid of to lighten the load. I'm thinking that I should have gone with hard bags and ditched the duffle on the tail. All my stuff would have fit in the 2 Gobis, but damn, I hate those bags. Well, I'm committed with soft bags for now so we will have to see how they hold up.

The new tank bag I'm running is awesome! I've tried several different tank bags and this one is perfect. Its a Giant Loop Fandango and it fits the 990 perfectly, doesnt get in the way when standing and getting your weight forward to plant the front wheel, zips off in seconds and is verybwell made.

I've been to Mike's at least a dozen times and it feels strange to be here with no one else around but the folks that run the place. No wonder, it was over 100 degrees in the valley as I climbed up into the mountains. Its also weird to see my 990 parked here as I usually come through here on my 450. As a matter of fact, I think this is the first time I've brought the 990 to Mikes.

I did about 215 miles this day over 8 hours with stops for the visa and a lunch break at Valle de Trinidad.

I'll be up early to avoid the heat as much as possible and make my way toward Gonzaga Bay where I will eventually meet up with Miguel.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-17-2009 at 10:21 PM
Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #101
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

I thought I was going to get a nice early start from Mikes but I slept so well that I woke up at the crack of 8 am. So much for an early start to beat the heat. I sat down to a tasty breakfast of machaca and coffee then had to spend a little quality quiet time in the library before loading up the bike. I think I hit the road around 9:30 am and it was already heating up into the 90's by the time I took off.

Nevertheless it was a beautiful morning riding out to Mex 3 were I picked up some old SCORE course to Diablo dry lake, then Zoo Road into San Felipe. As many of you may or may not know, the new paved road from Puertecitos to Gonzaga is progressing rapidly. The pavement ends about 12 miles past Cow Patty cantina, but the road bulding is well underway for another 15 miles past that and everything is a complete mess with diversion roads all over the place, big trucks, big graders, lots of dust and deep churned up earth. If you dont ride this road sometime this winter, chances are that when you do, it will be mostly pavement. Make no mistake, the government is serious about getting this road done, pronto. The number of construction crews and heavy equipment I passed along the way was staggering and now rivals any highway construction project in the US. Once the road is completed it will be the major trucking route from Mexicali to Mex 1 near Chapala dry lake, forever changing the flavor of Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay. Its progress I guess, but that doesnt mean I have to like it. Like Mama Espinosa says, "Bad roads bring good people, and good roads bring all kinds of people."

The road grading and bridge building ends about right here for now: Bird Shit Rock.

By this time its about 3 in the afternoon and the heat is downright oppressive.

I pulled into Alphonsinas around 4 pm to the comfort of shade, water and an ice cold cerveza.

I just love this place. Too bad its soon going to be changed forever.

It was friggin hot. Did I mention that? Early September is the hottest time of year on this part of the Cortez coast. Well into the 100's, no breeze and as humid as a steam bath.

Even at 10 pm it was so hot in my room that I could'nt sleep, so I brought the camera outside and got a couple shots of the Sagittarius and Scorpius region of the Milky Way in stunningly dark skies. It was very slightly out of focus, but the 30 second exposures turned out well enough to display at web resolution.

I finally dozed off into some fitful sleep around 2 am. It was still hotter than hell (mid 90's or so), but to make things worse the west breeze had started to pick up and felt as if you were standing in front of a 1 million watt hair dryer. F'ing brutal.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-17-2009 at 10:19 PM
Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #102
2laneblacktop
Tarmac

Oddometer: 3,052
Excellent, you're well on your way !!

2laneblacktop screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 12:13 AM
2laneblacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #103
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
Regarding bags... I hate the Gobis also because they are too wide.
Have you given Pelicans a try?
I love mine. Not Caribous (IMO they are too expensive for what they offer)... I have a Happy Trails Rack with Happy Trails Mount Kit with a pair of Pelican 1550 cases (aprox $500 for the whole setting).
They are narrow enough to allow me to lane-split decently (for a bike with bags) and after sliding on the pavement for aprox 50 yards with no damage (aside from scratches, but still 100% waterproof) I think they passes the crash-test. (protected my bike very nicely also....)
Since you need new bags, I'd advise you to take some hard cases (lockable) for your trip, whatever you prefer. There are lots of places in Central and South America where you will need to leave your bike parked by itself (border crossings are the worst) where lots of people are around and might swipe some of your belongings in a soft bag (a simple knife will do). YMMV.
Great RR so far.
Hopefully you'll be able to get back on the road fast!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #104
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Around 3 am I'm still lying in bed, half asleep, half awake, and miserably drenched in my own sweat, I see a silhouette of a person poking their head through the window next to my bed, WTF? I hear, "pssssst, Vicente?" It was Pedro, the dude the guards the gate. I jump out of bed, open the door and Pedro is standing there with Miguel. WTF?

I say, "Jeez Mike, wtf are you doing here? I thought you would get a room in San Felipe and spend the night in some air conditioning before coming here?" Well, he got to San Felipe around 6 pm and decided what the hell, its only another couple of hours to Gonzaga and its cooling off a bit, so why not press on. However with all the new construction there are so many diversion roads around the new road bed that in the dark he got totally confused about where he was. I could understand that because even in the daylight I had taken the wrong diversion road several times, and it took me a while to get unf'd and get back on track.

At one time he found himself on the new road bed cruising along when all of a sudden the road disappeared from his headlight beam as it illuminated nothing but blackness. Oh shit! He did a panic stop only to discover that 3 feet in front of him the road be ended, and there was a 60 ft drop off where they were going to build a bridge. Damn, that was close. To top it all off, upon trying to start the bike again, he discovered that his battery was dead. It was well dark by that time. After some time had passed and a huge amount of effort, he managed to get that HP2 bump started. Later, while lost on one of the diversion roads again, he killed the bike. Shit. After hours of dicking with the bike trying to get it started he figured he was going to spend the night lying in the rocks and wait until morning when a vehicle may come by and he could get a jump start.

As he was sitting in the dark he saw a vehicle driving around in the distance, stopping at one house, then another, then another. Seems like some folks were out doing a little late night shopping in the vacant houses.. The truck finally comes up to him and its a husband and wife team. The wife drives, while the husband goes in each house to do a little shopping. The back of their truck is filled with crap, food, furniture, house hold appliances, anything you could imagine. They gave him a jump start and got him on his way. They may have been thieves, but at least they were nice enough to help him out.

He killed the bike once again in the deep sand next to the new gate at the side of the runway where the road goes by the Gonzaga houses. Thats when Pedro found him and walked him down to Alphonsinas.

Miguel, at 3 am, just happy to be out of the desert and off the bike............

Long night for Miguel.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #105
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Awesome pictures and this looks like it can end up being a very cool trip. I wish you luck.

As far as the rediculous heat, you gotta get used to it. Tylenol PM really helps out on bad nights though.
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote