User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
tonymarchman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Going to Mexico for affordable dentist

http://tonyspics.smugmug.com/Sample-Gallery/i-bnKQNHK Re: Going to Mexico for affordable dentist

by tonymarchman Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:15 pm

I left Nashville on Thurs about noon. I had to wait for it to warm up to 37 degrees and then I made a run for the coast and warmer weather. After riding in really cold temps for some 4 hours it finally got up to 50 degrees.

I made it to New Orleans (the big easy), had lunch Mulante's a for real cajun eatery. Shrimp gumbo prepared New Orleans style. This was a huge place in the warehouse district, so it had really high ceiling and the most massive support columns and beams. There was a decent size dance floor and a stage for the band. I would like to be there for dinner sometime. I bet that place was really hopping.
After lunch I checked around for a room and learned about a basketball game in town so all the rooms were double the normal rate. I rode slowly over to Canal St and entered the French Quarter. It looked pretty much the same as it did when I left 40 years ago. The names of the bars were different but the same old game. I did manage to find the Cafe Du Monde which is located near the river. This is an open air coffee and beignet shop across from Jackson Square which attracts a lot of tourists and affords excellent people watching. I ordered a coffee and one beignet and he came back with 3. I took one bite and realized I had to eat all 3 before I left. May I say the coffee was excellent. They serve coffee with chicory and it is very strong so they mix it half and half with hot milk. This is the best coffee ever!! After eating too much I headed back to the scoot. Since I could not afford a room I decided to head out towards Baton Rouge before dark. It was near impossible to find a room there as well. I finally found one for $50. and moved right in. Next morning I continued on to Houston to meet up with my buddy Tex. We have a great dinner and talked motorcycles for a while. I mentioned I was selling off some vehicles as paying for 6 of them was just too expensive, Tex replied I know what you mean, I have 17 vehicles registered. He is an unintentional collector. These great deals come along and he could not pass it up.
Anyway we said our goodbyes this morning and I headed south to Galveston to enjoy the beach for a few hours. I left after lunch and headed to port Lavaca and then on to S. Padre Island which is where I am now. So far I have logged !533 miles on the majesty.

tonymarchman screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 06:38 PM
tonymarchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 727
I had a friend that went to Mexico for an affordable surgery. Unfortunately, all he got was an affordable casket.

True story. RIP Max.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
A friend went back and forth to Baja,just over the border for major dental work,implants,bone grafts,crowns. Once she found a dentist that would work with her it all worked out ok. Still spent 20,000 dollars but would have spent near 60K in the US.

Lots of trips back and forth from nor cal,not an easy thing.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Hey Tony
Wheres your final destination? I just got home a few days ago from Tijuana, had a crown done.
Buena suerte
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 AM   #5
tonymarchman OP
Adventurer

Hi Cal
I plan to cross the border at Reynosa. One of the inmates recommended a dentist there, said he was a good friend. I plan to start with a quote from him and if I like the proposal, I will get fixed up there. If the quote is unreasonable I have referrals in Nogales and one south of Yuma where John Downs went with his sister.
After the dental work is done I want to wander down the coast to explore the beaches if the weather is good.
Thanks for asking
Best Regards
Tony
Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 426
Safe travels. Hope the dental procedures work out well for you. Prices in the USA are pretty outrageous.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Safe travels. Hope the dental procedures work out well for you. Prices in the USA are pretty outrageous.
Like that sig line, that book should be a mandatory read for all advriders.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,089
cheap dental work here in Vancouver.
self-taught Chinese doing it in their basement.
no law against it, per se.
the police just confiscate the tools. some ancient looking tools, by the way
2 incidents in the past year.
there was a line-up in the "waiting" room.
no complaints from patrons. none.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
If you think they are outrageous in the US check out Canada!! I've researched this and California is 1/2 price to Canada and Mexico is half price to California.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #10
Big Lee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
How much then? I have had a scrape and polish, an xray and 6 fillings re done all for 50

I wish my parents weren`t so generous with the sweets when I was a kid
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I'm in, this should become a great thread
Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
more about the dentist please. My dental insurance is more than routine cleanings and pays 80% of nothing!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
tonymarchman OP
Adventurer

I got to within 10 miles of the border and had a flat on the interstate. While I was attempting to plug it a really nice guy named Arnold stopped by to give me a hand. We discovered a cut and installed one plug in it hoping for the best but she still leaked. Arnold suggested I follow him to his house and we could work on it there. I rode it on a flat tire for almost a mile and then we removed the wheel and drove to 3 different tire stores before we found someone who said,"I can have it here tomorrow". I treated Arnold to supper and we had a nice talk. He invited me to stay at his house tonight. What a really nice guy. You meet the nicest people when the plan goes to hell.
Tony in Mercedes Tx
Old 02-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
this is crazy.
i like it.

... how many days is it going to take you to get to mexico ?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
HoJoOkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Tony,

Exciting trip. I'm in for sure.

Safe travels.
HoJoOkie is offline   Reply With Quote