User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #31
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
You'll have to come and do the dirt you missed

What no Gray Creek Pass? You were in Christina Lake and the next stop was Fernie; YOW! Heading west you missed the Rossland - Cascade Hwy. You're going to have to backtrack and do some penance for too much unnecessary slab!!
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #32
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
No doubt about that. Next year I will enlist local knowledge more and have less of a target destination in mind. I would like to get further up into Myra Canyon area, try to stay on the KVR from Summerland going eastward. Slab is evil shit, unless it happens to be going through a war zone.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #33
bcbadger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I use mine all the time, but have had the odd occasion when it wasn't so easy to find a couple of suitable trees for hanging it. I have the hex fly and it is way, waaay better than the original fly. I have spent an entire weekend with the rain coming down sideways and the wind howling, and still remained high and dry in the hammock. As for your Giant Loop Bag though..... I am very interested in that and was wondering how it attaches to your bike, how much I could expect to pay for one, and where I would go to get one? Not trying to turn this into a gear thread, but am extremely interested that luggage. If you would be so kind as to pm me with info it would be much appreciated, and thanks for such a great ride report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar
I did use it once I think on this trip. I have had it for a few years now and use it a lot usually. On this trip there were not a lot of decent trees around and the weather was great and there were virtually no mosquitoes so I just bivied on the ground, or on picnic tables. The hennessey hammock is about the best sleep you can get in the bush in my opinion, especially if it is pouring rain or you are on uneven ground. I use the snakeskins and in the picture the hammock is actually underneath the fly. I would like to get the hex fly on day as it is quite a bit larger.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:05 AM   #34
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/
Old 09-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #35
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

I really like the design on the Giant Loop because it is simple, light and it works very well. Just likethe Hennessey Hammock. Light is right!! The quality is top notch. I think they will fit anything with number plates.
They bolt on through your number plates and top of your rear fender. Instead of just drilling holes in my number plates, I inserted Rivnuts into them used 1/4 inch bolts and fenderwashers. The website has good generic instructions. They also make a couple of new products which look interesting. I ordered mine from Tasky's Metric Cycle in Washington.

Here is the load of stuff I fit into the Giant Loop and the Sealine bag I strapped ont he back. I think I could have left most of the stuff in the Sealine bag at home, mostly clothing, and got away with just the Giant Loop.

Here is a picture of the bike loaded, with the rear rack in place.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #36
rambling
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Thumb Great Ride Report

Thanks for the ride report! Great to see another Canadian with a KLX250S making a long distance tour.
rambling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #37
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Thumb

Great RR......................

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #38
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #39
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 505
Hey Red, I read this thread again, and I forgot how great it was and that it was well put together. In fact its on my top 5 ride reports of all time. Let me know if you want it linked over on the ride reports at www.kawasakiforums.com ;)

2005 ST 1300--2006 250S--2006 XT 225
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #40
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar
I really like the bag. I can carry all my camping gear and a few days worth of food in it, I also strapped a waterproof pack on to the Giant Loop which carried more clothing than I needed. My laptop was in my backpack.
You can ride your bike like a dirt bike with the Giant Loop bag.
... even if I can't ride my dirt bike like a dirt bike without the Giant Loop bag? That must be what is holding me back, gotta get me one of those bags, then watch out!

What a great report. Have a '07 KLX250S and have been looking into getting a bigger tank. Did you do a write up on how to get the gas out of the wings?

John
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #41
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by deej
Hey Red, I am adding this to the official ride report over on www.kawasakiforums.com What a great report, and I'm sure you have more to add. Thanks. Oh and you and I share a great common bond. I too had the Hodaka back in the day...it was my first bike, and I often think about that bike when I'm out riding on the KLX.
Wombats little brother!

[IMG][/IMG]
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #42
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drklr
... even if I can't ride my dirt bike like a dirt bike without the Giant Loop bag? That must be what is holding me back, gotta get me one of those bags, then watch out!

What a great report. Have a '07 KLX250S and have been looking into getting a bigger tank. Did you do a write up on how to get the gas out of the wings?

John
Thanks John,

I highly recommend the Giant Loop if you want to go lightweight.

I did add to a thread about the Acerbis tank and the fuel in the wings problem.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335944
Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #43
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
Redpillar, thank you for sharing such an incredible ride with us!
I could sense the exhilaration of exploration you felt. I like that you were on a small light bike, traveled alone and conjured up some old motocross skills.
Lovely country too!
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #44
klondike300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
You do any oil changes along the way? Granted, this wasn't hard pounding all in the dirt riding but that's a good haul on the KLX. Debating on taking mine from Seattle to Alaska so that might settle part of my internal debate.
klondike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #45
redpillar OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks RDS, riding alone has some drawbacks but I think that the benefits outweigh them. The light bike just makes things that much easier to go alone.

Klondike, I did change the oil about 1 third of the way through just because I I already had a couple thousand kilometers on the oil I started with. Otherwise I think I would not have done it till I got home. I think I would push the oil to about 4500 to 5000 klixs if I had to. I didn't want to pack oil with me.