Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
PAB OP
Baja Junkie

Oddometer: 73
5th anual Desert Assassins Rip to the Tip wrap up and lies - 2010 Tecate to Cabo ride

I am sort of a ADV rookie with some time in but not a ton of posts. I dig the site almost as much as I dig Baja and the photos and stories take me places I have never been.

My life is the Baja and I hope that by sharing it more people will get to experience her and want to look into what a majestic place it is.

The 2010 Monster Energy Rip to the Tip hosted by the Desert Assassins (my race team) and presented by Lucas Oil was pretty special and in all 41 people crossed into Baja as a part of the group. Those 41 I hope are going to post photos and stories and we hope those that wish they were there enjoy it.

29 riders overall roosted Baja with 17 achieving every mile of the 1376 miles, that I thought was pretty impressive.

We had great support with 3 chase trucks, the Dirt Newz media truck with the sat dish, a plane from our friends at Baja Search and Rescue and a helicopter to help capture the fun and support the troops.

Day 1 consisted of a downpour with rain, hail and snow all greeting us as we rode from the Tecate border crossing to Horsepower Ranch outside of Ensenada. 119 miles on the day as we played slip and slide on the Compadre Trail.

Here's part of Day 1 from the lens on Jimmy Lee Cook of Sinister Films while flying in the helicopter with Jim McCoy....please note that these were posted within hours so they are quick and dirty but do show the beauty of Baja. My favorite part of day one was the blooming yellow flowers and you can really see them from the helicopter, the bummer of Day 1 was that all the radios were wet and it was impossible to use them, some of them never came back at all over the 8 days........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLNSx...eature=related

I hope it looks good to all

PAB
ADV wanna be

PAB screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 03:26 PM
PAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
SP's Dad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Great Trip!! Another EPIC Baja adventure.

Thanks to PAB, and the rest of the crew that put it on!

Big Thanks to the sponsors, Monster Energy, Lucas Oil, Metal Mulisha, Yokohama, VP, Desert Assassins, Baja Bound Moto, Alpinestars, Lost, Hammer Nutrition and more.

I will have to wait to share my favorite part of the trip, as it didn't happen until Day 5.
SP's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Dual Badger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Thumb Baja is King

Very nice! more please.
Dual Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Trey650
Are We There Yet?

Oddometer: 1,873
A few picts from my 4 days chasing. This adventure is too intense for most to imagine. I've been privileged to get to ride parts of it.

Class 10 Cage
Save $5 on Smugmug!! Use code cQNk2QFrIDFCo

Trey650 screwed with this post 05-06-2010 at 09:53 AM
Trey650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey650
A few picts from my 4 days chasing. This adventure is too intense for most to imagine.

That deserves an explanation. Great photo....if not photoshopped.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Trey650
Are We There Yet?

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
That deserves an explanation. Great photo....if not photoshopped.
It was OX doing a great jump. Sad the pict was not in focus. I have to remember to take the shots out of auto focus when it matters. The sequence would of been epic if it had been in focus. Many more photos to come. I was really pissed when I saw the end result.
Class 10 Cage
Save $5 on Smugmug!! Use code cQNk2QFrIDFCo

Trey650 screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 10:40 PM
Trey650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,457
Nice.. Maybe next yr...

Cameron, was there homes being built north of santa rosalita near the seven sisters??
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
PAB OP
Baja Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
Nice.. Maybe next yr...

Cameron, was there homes being built north of santa rosalita near the seven sisters??
No houses that I saw and no more people than is the norm in the 7 sisters. The people who own what I understand to be an online pine cone company were at their house but were the ONLY people we saw in the "sisters". It was so rad, we rode through their front yard basically and they waved a very happy wave! EPIC

As for the photo of OX jumping higher than the heli, no photo shop! The heli was doing follow cam stuff and OX was boosting like a 120 foot hit, it was sweet!

The heli is actually next to him, the footage is insane!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
PAB OP
Baja Junkie

Getting started with such a large group can be a hassle and we have each rider move ahead 50 feet to join the "ready to go group" so we all know who the lagger is. If you are last into the group more than once we make sure you know that you need to be faster getting your crap together and stop holding up the group.

FOX Shox main man and championship desert car and moto racer John Marking had a shocker right out of the gate. He had ridden his new bike about 60 miles with no issues and when he tried to start the bike at the border it failed. Moto legend Johnny Campbell (we just call him 11-time) came to the rescue and although he got the bike to run he told me "this bike is going to be a major problem"

With 30 bikes running and ready I had to make the tough call to "trailer up" John. This is a dreaded statement to hear as it is shameful to have your bike and you get in the truck. Luckily the Baja racing Bradford Brothers had their old race bike as a spare in one of the trucks and we called it out of the truck for JM. John got to ride and later when we arrived to Horsepower Ranch Johnny, Turbo Tom Gevis and he worked on the bike and got it running for day two......I had a feeling that the Bradford back up bike was going to see some action over the remaining 7 days and was actually waiting for Manny Ornelles to fly into San Ignacio later in the trip to join us.

This video doesn't have a much riding but it has a bit of an explanation of the trip and some good shots of Horsepower Ranch, just outside of Ensenada, if you have never been there before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXKVvj8nByQ

Day one had some crappy conditions and it was cold and brutal but somehow the helicopter was able to fly and shoot some footage.

The one real bummer from Day 1 was that our good buddy Rodrigo Ampudia had a big crash at near HP Ranch and needed medical attention. He had come out to show us some trails in the area and after getting some moto laps with OX he wanted to lead out into some trails. OX was with Rodrigo when he rode off a down slope and ended up in a large rain rut. OX said it looked pretty bad and our trip medic Jesse "the Baja Nomad" Beck was on point and we put him on one of the backboards we hope to never use but carry. Jesse and Casey Currie went to the hospital with him and I called his Pop while the Ranches van transported him.

Here's the video of Rodrigo being extracted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5asA_...eature=related

Brapppp
Old 05-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
DA_PUP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My adventure

I must say that this is top three of the most epic and fun journeys I have ever been on. I got to meet some really cool people and see things that 99.999% of the world will never see. I love Baja, she is so beautiful and harsh at the same time. I also want to thank my fellow Desert Assassin brothers who I am lucky enough to share these adventures with. Here are some pictures I took along the way. I hope you enjoy them.

Me with a statue on the coast near Erindira

Soaking wet near Ojos Negros

Divel shouldn't be allowed to captain a ship.

Dave's diving board

Barb Walker taking in the view.

Ridge riding the mud hills.

Bruth enjoying some two track

Lobster cruising some single track

Norm "The Undercover Badass" with a cholla

Mark Bradford under a Boojum tunnel

Casey Currie and Divel inspecting a dead whale

Epic shell beach riding, seemed like it went on forever.

Two flats at once, you have to bring tubes on this ride?

The local gas station was open.

Me in front of the San Ignacio mission.

Having fun with our families in Cabo!
DA_PUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
EPIC Thanks for sharing. Great video. Looks like you got caught in the same storm that we did, El Nino was brutal this year. What date did you leave.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
PAB OP
Baja Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho
EPIC Thanks for sharing. Great video. Looks like you got caught in the same storm that we did, El Nino was brutal this year. What date did you leave.
Our trip started on Thursday April 22nd at the Tecate Border and we landed in Cabo on Thursday the 29th of April at the Office!

We did a short easy day to start and to finish. 2010 was 8 overall ride days and we have done the Rip over the last 5 years in 6 and 7 days as well.

We rode into Mexico at Tecate to ride the entire peninsula but we won't always start there, so far we have 3 Ensenada starts and 2 Tecate. Not sure where we will launch from in 2011 for the 6th Rip but I do know this.....In year 10, 2015, we will ride down and back with a couple days in Cabo as our break with the families!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Pab and crew.....GREAT pics and videos! The pic of Lob and the chopper was crazy! Fun times no doubt.....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,794
amazing!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
PAB OP
Baja Junkie

This is a pretty solid ride video from Day 2 of the Rip as you ride along with my helmet camera. We roost the heck out of one of the guys that missed on a sand hill climb

Day 2 consisted of Horsepower Ranch then slab to Santo Tomas and then down the beaches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5O-T8IL7UA

My Menzies off road partner Larry Job lost a transmission on his bike and lost his full pull.

220ish miles for day 2 ending in El Rosario

Here is the link to Mathis Riiber's spot tracker. We turned them off in a few segments to protect some single track.

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=197879