Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
triniriderz OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
CCM 404 London To North Africa

First would like to say hi to all

(Just moved this from Thumpers)

So I have just come back to London after a year living in Trinidad and could not wait to get the bike out of storage, as I was doing this I started to fancy heading off to Tunisia or Morocco so will decide in the next week or so on the destination.. I want to leave before Sept if I can sadly all my mates are Sports bikes "only" riders so will be going on my jack jones..

Bit about the bike its CCM 404 is a great bike based on the DRZ400 E but with the tasty WP supension fore and arf and a few other bits thrown in, Trying to get it ready for the trip, the main issues is the seat and not having a screen soooooooooo..

Gona fit a sheepskin hide within the next few days. I have ordered a sheet of black Acrylic and will make a "Dakar" style screen that will fit to the headlight so should offer some wind protection and also give the SATNAV a bit of protection. Luggage will be a old Alu case that came off my NX650 that will be mounted to the rubbish CCM rear rack and a set of Material panniers will go on and that will be about it.. I do have a set of Hepco Becker Alu Panniers but cant be bothered Fabing a mounting rack plus the subframe would need a bit more work and second thing is they are 4500mile away ...

Dusty top box just rescued from the loft

Having to change the gearing to a 40ish tooth rear sprocket so better for highway speeds, I have already done the normal DRZ400 engine mods inc the Stainless gearbox spacer and fitted case savers..

Will update when other bits are fitted..

Ray
triniriderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Richzrx12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Nice one mate, good luck with it. Which route are you taking? I live just outside Montpellier so if by any chance you're going on the boat from Sete (which is a 40 minute ride from my house) you're welcome to give me a shout and if you have any last-minute mechanical niggles I can take you to someone local who can fix them. Or you can just enjoy a glass of local wine. You're welcome to crash here too if you want although my 3 week old daughter is keeping some unsociable hours at the moment...
Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
triniriderz OP
n00b

Thanks Pal may do..
No real route planned yet but steering more towards Tunisia than Morocco at the minute, and im sure there will be some mechanical niggles its a CCM after all!!!!.. Not having a large tank option is a slight worry but not major.

Gona do a quick two day shack down trip to le touquet in the next week or so but im just waiting on silly bits to be delivered before I can really set off.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Richzrx12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I've sent a PM with contact details in case you do plan on heading down this way. I'm sure you know, but don't forget (in case you schedule a rest day in France) that everywhere is closed on Mondays...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
simonworkwear
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Your Trip

Hi, your trip sounds great.

I have just come back from a little trip to Morroco, we rode from Tamworth (West Mids) and did 5500 miles in 10 days and rode as far south as Maraketch (spelling is awful i know).

Great trip, we had loads of fun and i am sure you will do.

If you want any help or advise, please just ask.

Enjoy

Simon
simonworkwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
triniriderz OP
n00b

Thanks Fellas will make a note..

One thing that does play on my mind is fuel but im not one to over plan so will just see what happens..

Was really hoping to have the Black piece of acrylic that I ordered to have arrived so I can get the front screen made and fitted, just hope it comes Monday!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
triniriderz OP
n00b

So after one of the busiest weeks of my life I finally found half a day to get this thing cut, moulded and mounted.. So my CCM 404 now has a Dakar screen

It started off as a bit of 24"x24"/ 3mm black Acrylic sheet that I cut to shape and moulded with a heat gun to fit the lines of the standard Polisport headlight, This maybe the worst shaped enduro headlight to do this mod on due to the funny shape but hay ho...

I also reinforced the mid lower half with a Alu strip and some glass fibre so it can take a bit of a bash and a knock. I just took it for a blast around town and a few mile down the North Circular and must say it does a great job of keeping the wind off and offers great weather protection for the GPS unit so im fairly happy with how it turned out just wish I could get a large Acerbis tank for it ;)

So just got a Dakar sticker to put on and the screen and it is finished.. I only put the sillly 82 number on to cover up some drill holes that I was experimenting with whilst fitting. The Alu top box will be mounted on Monday as im off Paintballing over the weekend and will also fit the Sheepsfleece seat cover at the same time, still need to lower the gearing and do a quick shackdown trip to northern France before heading South on the big one.. So hoping to jump the Channel mid to late next week (Hopefully) :

Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Skawtish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
what kind of GPS mount is that?
Skawtish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
triniriderz OP
n00b

Its a Touratech mount for the TOMTOM rider one..

Main reason for buying it was the standard TomTom mount was really rubbish and I had bout 3 replacements under warrenty due to them coming apart with wind blast, the Touratech mount solved this problem due to the mount holding the unit in the cradle and not allowing any movement of the unit when locked in place..

I fitted the Ram mounts as I have a few bikes and can just change it from bike to bike...
Old 08-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
triniriderz OP
n00b

Had a spare evening so just fitted the top box.. Not the best rack to fit anything to, only want the box for a bit of security for the SLR and Vid Camera to be honest....