Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #91
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV
I think we are all just hoping for the best, now please let us dream that someone will give us what we want, even for a little while...
As long as you know that it's just a dream....

I'll try to visit one of the local dealers, maybe they know more since GG is Spanish after all.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #92
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,896
Oh yeah I know it's just a dream... But it's a nice dream.

And if were being realistic I may as well say that I wouldn't be buying one even it it had DRZ type service intervals.

But having said that I also said I wouldn't own a KTM...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 AM   #93
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
With the El Dakaro rules for 2010, I doubt you'll see the 515 in this bike. I think that's why you probably wont see a 690 Adventure any time soon either.
I wouldn't be so sure. the Dakar is only one race. there are still plenty of rally's that the big bikes will be raced in. And KTM wont have anything to do with the Dakar anymore so they will still be developing the 690 race bikes

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #94
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
hi,

the only thing i am interested in, is how much would cost on the spare gas gas shop section of the fiberglass fairing plus the optics and frame support, cause if it is as cheap as gas gas spares are , would be a good buy to install it on another bike.

for me it is just a 450cc enduro bike with a tank and a fairing........so it is not at all a dream bike for me mostly because the engine, not really as reliable as a big bore on dual purpose use.

recently i wanted a rally-adventure bike, so i decided to modify my XR650R for that purpose, leaving my 525 as it is, a enduro bike.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #95
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
This type of bike would be ideal for what i want, I mostly ride on weekends only say one sunday a month, 400k round trip at best. And maybe one or two longer runs during the year, so this bike could be a good alternative to my current DR. I contacted GG Australia, who said, they were still working out if there was going to be any ADR changes to the bike, so price and availability were not forthcoming. He did say they were keen to get it here.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #96
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV
So what else can you tell us about the Desert?

You obviously have inside information if you know its just an enduro with a bigger tank and fairing.

I think your missing the point of what we are hoping for, a lighter bike with decent suspension decent fuel range and LONGER SERVICE INTERVALS!

I acknowledge the fact that you may be right and it may be just a tarted up enduro, but I haven't seen anything to support or disprove it yet.

I think we are all just hoping for the best, now please let us dream that someone will give us what we want, even for a little while...
No inside info.. I'm just using common sense and compairing these available pictures to the current enduro model. Why would believe it has longer service intervals? If it did would you want a 30 hp model? It ain't gonna pull 45+hp and have a 40k mile engine.If it was available with a 550+cc engine then maybe.

I'll stop pointing out the obvious and let all of you dream. Sorry to possibly burst the bubble.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #97
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
Not a super bike just a super cool bike
I agree with this. VERY attractive and something new. If as many buy as dream i'd expect KTM or Husqvarna to possibly throw a body kit on an existing model. 570 Husa. would be the coolest.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #98
ropedrag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
Seriously guys how many of you wanted a 450 enduro bike before you saw this one. The only thing changed from the standard model is fuel tank size and a chuck of fiberglass but now it's your dream bike?

Tell me what i'm missing.
Their are hundreds of discussions on this and other forums on how to plate a high strung 450. This comes plate ready. How may other high strung 450's are there on the market that you can plate without issue, not many. Any that are fuel injected?

There are several shops and businesses that specialize in making and selling extended range gas tanks. This bike comes with an extended mileage range. Of the list of bikes made above how many can even get within 20 miles of 100 on a tank of gas?

There are several shops and businesses that specialize in making and selling fairings such as this "chunk of fiberglass". Again this bike comes with.

So a company comes along and makes a production bike that has factory components that allot of folks either like or would later add to their bikes. Why would it surprise you that folks are interested?

I personally feel a dream bike will never exist, I want a plated lightweight high strung 450 that I can slap a set of 17" supermotard wheels on and commute to work with and play hooligan with during the week, then slap knobbies on to get serious in the dirt with on weekends and get me more then 40 miles from a fuel can without worry that I'd make it back. Of course my dream bike would only need service after a bunch of miles and not just a few hours. Let's face it every bike is a compromise in the "dual sport" range and is why I usually have 3 different bikes in the stable. But if this bike fits close to someones wish list that's awesome!

What I think is interesting about this bike is that it offers, off the showroom floor, components that others don't offer. It also will likely expose allot of riders to something new and different. Who the hell cares if someone wanted a 450 or not before they knew this bike existed? Really.

I know my riding ability, style and preferences are always changing and I hope to hell that never changes. I think its fucking awesome if a bike, no matter what style, get's someone excited to go ride.

ropedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #99
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropedrag
Their are hundreds of discussions on this and other forums on how to plate a high strung 450. This comes plate ready. How may other high strung 450's are there on the market that you can plate without issue, not many. Any that are fuel injected?

There are several shops and businesses that specialize in making and selling extended range gas tanks. This bike comes with an extended mileage range. Of the list of bikes made above how many can even get within 20 miles of 100 on a tank of gas?

There are several shops and businesses that specialize in making and selling fairings such as this "chunk of fiberglass". Again this bike comes with.

So a company comes along and makes a production bike that has factory components that allot of folks either like or would later add to their bikes. Why would it surprise you that folks are interested?

I personally feel a dream bike will never exist, I want a plated lightweight high strung 450 that I can slap a set of 17" supermotard wheels on and commute to work with and play hooligan with during the week, then slap knobbies on to get serious in the dirt with on weekends and get me more then 40 miles from a fuel can without worry that I'd make it back. Of course my dream bike would only need service after a bunch of miles and not just a few hours. Let's face it every bike is a compromise in the "dual sport" range and is why I usually have 3 different bikes in the stable. But if this bike fits close to someones wish list that's awesome!

What I think is interesting about this bike is that it offers, off the showroom floor, components that others don't offer. It also will likely expose allot of riders to something new and different. Who the hell cares if someone wanted a 450 or not before they knew this bike existed? Really.

I know my riding ability, style and preferences are always changing and I hope to hell that never changes. I think its fucking awesome if a bike, no matter what style, get's someone excited to go ride.
Nicely said.
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #100
GOT DIRT?
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
hi,

the only thing i am interested in, is how much would cost on the spare gas gas shop section of the fiberglass fairing plus the optics and frame support, cause if it is as cheap as gas gas spares are , would be a good buy to install it on another bike.

for me it is just a 450cc enduro bike with a tank and a fairing........so it is not at all a dream bike for me mostly because the engine, not really as reliable as a big bore on dual purpose use.

recently i wanted a rally-adventure bike, so i decided to modify my XR650R for that purpose, leaving my 525 as it is, a enduro bike.
Are you serious? There are documented examples of rfs motors with over 20000 miles on them. Yes they may be a little more maintenance,but after you adjust the valves a couple of times and change the oil,they are pretty simple procedures. I am sure that XRR will run with out an oil change for 20000 miles. As a rally type bike I feel that 525 would smoke that XRR.

AMA, BTR, AND NETRA MEMBER
GOT DIRT? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:07 AM   #101
vuugti
Pretty much...

Oddometer: 379
Wow, you guys managed to turn this into a tangent'fest!

Always has to be some douche trying to rain on the parade.

Anyone hear anymore on price or availability? The dealers listed for PA are non-existent.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #102
Iceveign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
thought I'd give this a bump and see if anyone has heard anymore new about this. On another forum someone stated that this gasgas would be using a Yamaha motor, does that sound right to anyone?
Iceveign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #103
Iceveign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_rally
I searched as best I could but couldn't find a thread on this. Supposed to be coming to the US in 2010. Discuss....

Model
EC 450 Desert

Engine
Cylinder size 449 cc
Type 4-stroke single cylinder with 4-valve cylinder head.
Cooling system Liquid
Bore x stroke 97x60.8mm
Ignition Integrated in the injection system
Fuel System Electronic injection (Battery less EFI)
Clutch Multidisc hydraulic operated AJP
Gearbox 6 gears.

Frame
Frame Deltabox build with Cromoly "B" tubes
Front suspension 48 mm upside-down Marzocchi fork, 290 mm travel
Rear suspension One-piece aluminium swing arm progressive system with
Sachs shock absorber, 320 mm travel
Front brake 260mm. disc, double-piston caliper Nissin.
Rear brake 220mm. disc, single-piston caliper Nissin.
Front tire 90x90 - 21" Michelin
Rear tire 140x80 - 18" Michelin
Kick starter Forged aluminium.

Size
Wheelbase 1465 mm
Seat Height 940 mm
Minimal ground clearance 370 mm
Fuel tank capacity 17 liters
Mass 133 Kg
What a sweet looking bike
Iceveign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #104
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Gas Gas makes their own motors. I am assuming this is a version of their current 450 motor.

You are thinking Scorpa. They use the Yamahas in their trials bikes.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #105
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
I was just drooling over one of those the other day. If I could afford it I'd almost be willing to give up my Husky for one. I wonder what the rear subframe is like.
For anyone who doesn't understand the low fender or the fairing position the bike says "Desert" not "Single Track Special". This bike is meant to be ridden at speed.

The low fender keeps road crap from flinging up off the front tire and out in front of the bike at speed. This problem is compounded with greater suspension travel and a larger gap between the tire and the fender. When this happens you ride right back into your own airborn muck and lose both your headlights and your vision from the debris. I tried to make a low fender work on my Husky but it has to be far enough away from the tire that it doesn't clog with mud and would be crushed on the lower triple clamp when the suspension bottomed. If it would have worked I'd have a low fender today.

The fairing position is like that for a reason. With a fixed fairing it needs to be far enough away from the triple clamps & handle bars to allow a full lock turn as well as allow for instrumentation as mentioned before. The angle needs to be correct so wind goes over your helmet. This helps with fatigue as well as keeps airborn crap out of your face. I'll take this setup over nothing in a 50mph headwind any day.

Here's an experiment I did with my Husky for the very reasons I mentioned above. You can see how far the fairing (from a 950 KTM) sticks out.

Here's another Gas Gas to drool over. Don't know if I'd want to trust my nuts on that seat front though. More pics here

Perfect.
I'm going to go to bed now and dream of Baja. Nighty night, folks, and thanks for this thread.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote