User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #46
Sask_pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
good trip

it's a well documented problem, all my trips originate from Sask, and unfortunately end here. but the flat straight roads at least give you a reason to keep going and get to where the curves start, and they start to unwind me on the way back.

looks like you had a great trip, we have to get together at least one more time for breakfast or beers before you pull the pin, okay?

Sask_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #47
aj226
Sloth

Oddometer: 670
Good to know that you spent yesterday productively.

Will there be a farewell tour of western Canada, or will we have to hunt you down in Minneapolis?

Aj
Old 11-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #48
Grainbelt OP
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj226
Good to know that you spent yesterday productively.

Will there be a farewell tour of western Canada, or will we have to hunt you down in Minneapolis?

Aj

I'll probably swing thru Edmonton for the bike show again in January, if nothing else.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #49
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,292
Nice to see the ride report got finished.
No matter where you end up we will always welcome you back into this part of the world. Come on back any time you want. Lots more roads...

Rob
Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #50
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,306
Nice finish (finally) , glad you could stop by and spend some time. You're welcome in our home anytime, and as Rob said lots more roads. Ours are just twistier.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #51
shoxroxice
Likes this ADV stuff

Oddometer: 96
Nice RR - and good to see someone who did it on a roadie. I'll give my 650R a touring-shot this spring.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #52
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
I headed south on 2 from Edmonton, planning to go west to Saskatchewan River crossing, ride 1A, then take 93 to Radium and south.

Edmonton to Red Deer - nothing much to report, though I used an H3 as a blocker (smokey and bandit style) to run 130 for the majority of it.

Between Rocky Mountain House and the lake pictured below, I fell in with a rider on a GSX650F for a while. He almost got taken out by a two-up bagger when he pulled out to pass them, as they pulled out to pass a motorhome. I hate watching that from 30ft back and not being able to do anything.

The little lookout over the lake toward Mt. Michener was as beautiful as I remembered, and the temps were climbing as it was late morning and we were in the bright Alberta sun.

Great stuff! I enjoy it when I recognize so many locations in travel shots. The lake between Nordegg and Saskatchewan River Cross is Abraham Lake. It's actually man made by the Big Horn Dam and would otherwise just be more of the North Saskatchewan River - the one which flows later through Edmonton. Saskatchewan River Crossing on the Banff-Jasper highway is so named because that marks the headwater glacier of that river.

Most times between Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg you will almost always see wild mustangs on the highway and in the ditches.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #53
DUC54
Giddy Up!!!

Oddometer: 95
I'm glad you enjoyed riding in our back yard!!!! It is very interesting and rewarding to read about others experiences riding in this neck of the woods. It puts a different perspective on what we take for granted. This is a very grand place to ride and live. If you return and want to ride other parts....Washington State...look me up I would love to show you some of my favorites!!!

Giddy Up!!!

Allen