User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 457
Western TAT: 12 dirt naps

The name is Mav. The experience is limited. And the Bike is a DRZ400 E.

In August I left for the Western TAT. I was going to go with my Father and some guys we met off the internet. The following will be the story of our journey, presented solely from my perspective.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-05-2009 at 07:05 PM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
kkug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,979
Bring it on!

SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
one2many
Ghetto Superstar

Oddometer: 106
one2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Mtnjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Should be fun.
Mtnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,619
Hey - Looking forward to hearing about this one!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Intro

My mom and my grandparents were all convinced that this was some idea from my crazy father. But the thing is, I happen to be just as crazy as he is. In fact, I was convinced I was going to make this journey before I had a dirt bike.

My first dirt bike was a CR85. Not because my dad wanted me to have something small, but because I am vertically challenged. Not a single dirt bike was made with myself in mind. I am going to take these next few lines and talk about how not small that bike was.

Not only had I never ridden in the dirt. I never had experienced a power band. And let me tell you..that CR hits hard. My first day ever on that beast my dad told me " Whatever you do, don't stall it at the bottom of this little hill."

Well at least he can't say that I don't listen. I freakin pinned it to win, and well, I high sided. I also learned that my little stunt shouldn't be repeated. After I caught my breath I stood up and smiled, dirt bikes were for me.

Here is the little red rocket.

After that I transitioned to a KTM 400 EXC. That thing was awesome, and I got some good use out of it. We got rid of it 3 months later because it was due for a rebuild. It was during riding this bike that I found out about my 1st gear problem. I like to start in 2nd...whoops!

The orange machine at the car wash.

Then came the dark times, I went 6 weeks without riding a dirt bike. I did have a DRZ 400 SM that I rode daily

This thing is AMAZING. And after loving it so much, I chose started to look for a DRZ 400E. After looking and looking we finally came across this bad boy. It already had the Yosh as well as the Kouba links

Don't worry folks, I only got two rides on these tires. I got some more aggressive ones for the TAT

And what happened to my SM? Well, lets just say my dad borrowed it...and made some changes!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Warning: After watching these video's you may question my preparedness to go on the tat

Old 09-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Now that the nitty gritty background info is done with, I can start with the real TAT. Well, Tomorrow is the journey to GET to the start of the TAT. Stay tuned! Many more pictures to come!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

On the road!

I would like to point out the very essencial fact that I don't see many dirt bikes driving around from a different state. Maybe this is because they aren't touring bikes...Maybe.

Before we had started our TAT plans I read up on some peoples RR. They all said that the seat hurt. What a bunch of wussies. I had ridden my DRZ and never had any problems. One day my dad showed up with an ATV pad. It raised the bike a quarter inch it seemed. This tip toe on one foot thing was getting pretty complicated.

I loaded up all of my gear onto my bike and viola! It was perfect. Well, perfect with the exception that I kinda couldn't get on. So at 5am when we were about to leave I managed to get on via the kickstand. A pure adrenaline rush every time I had to switch to the right foot to put up the kickstand.

Bret, the guy going with us on his XT225 shows up and we hit the road! But not before my father gives me some advice! Put your jacket on! Whatever, it just going to get hot and I don't want to deal with it.

We started the climb out of the Salt Lake Valley and BURR! I couldn't feel my hands. At least now I was awake. 60 MPH was a sweet spot, anything above and it was like I was riding on a thumper or something. I missed my SM with its tires and higher gearing!

We stopped for breakfast and gas. I thought I was bad but Bret was literally shaking from the cold. It took him a good 20 minutes to be able to get back on a go!

Our bikes were only getting about 40 MPG.

We really should have taken more pictures this day! But I guess we were all just too excited to be getting started!

Hours and Hours and Hours later we hit the welcome to Colorado sign! And what happens next? We get tracked down by our first ADV guy. Disconnected is rocking his new bike and headed back home I was only slightly jealous!

We were supposed to stop in Montrose, But we pressed onwards to Gunnison. I was super excited, this is one of my favorite places in Colorado. Sadly we had no time to raft the Taylor. Which kinda sucked, but after 400 miles I'm pretty sure I would have drown!

We stayed at the Days Inn, and I managed to get an employee discount. The best thing is I don't work there
Old 09-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #11
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,291
This is going to be good.

Subscribed.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
A fine report

Mav,
very good, the face plant vidio was fun. Your writing style is good. I'm enjoying your report.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,337
Good read ...
Can't wait for more

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

I wake up to a pillow in the face. I was having the best dream ever, it was that I didnt have to wash my clothes in the sink. Oh, it gets better, I also didnt have to hang them to dry for everyone to see. For the sake of being cheap we were sharing rooms. I wasn't sure how much I liked this yet. On the bright side, to be literal--we got to stuff our loops in the daylight. Hmm someone had wrapped my clean clothes to keep the loop safe....and my clothes dirty. Dads these days

Today we get to meet our riding companions. Was I nervous? Of couse! What fun would the TAT be if I had to spend all my time with jerks. My dad said that they were cool, So I was crossing my fingers. But before I get ahead of myself we still had to drive to meet them. Getting to check out a suspension bridge? Score.

Fresh and clean mountain air

Taking a break--because just like popular belief touring on dirt bikes freakin sucks. Come on guys, get your heads out of the GPS and phone!

I was so sick of taking pictures already that out came the faces! I know I didnt take a serious picture unti we hit the ocean.

My dad was telling me about a T shirt shop owned by a fellow ADV'er. We take a pit stop in salida to support.

Not only was Hayduke super awesome, his shop had some amazing T's, and stickers. It did not take me long to find the perfect addition for Sunshine, my yellow DRZ.

Salida was really one of the coolest towns that we got to go through! The downtown was amazing! So of course we gotta show a picture!

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 05:34 PM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Do you know what twenty dollars can buy you? Well I can name a couple of things. But at twenty dollars a person we were able to bargain our way into the park. Freakin' 20 bucks to meet the rest of our party at the other side. Well, you can say that it serves us right for falling into a tourist trap. We were running late so we had to bust a move!

The sting of the twenty bucks was instantly lessened when I saw my dad head for a bridge filled with people. The looks on their faces, this was one of the many times that I had wished I had my helmet camera on.

After making our way through the crowd of people, we reach the other side of the park, and what do we see? Our companions for the trip! Well..almost.

Bummer! Where were the guys!? Finally we come across this rather safe looking contraption... And what do we see? Our guys are in line!

You see I am totally okay with flying over my handle bars and taking the risk of possibly breaking my neck. One thing I am not okay with is falling to my death packed in a red sardine can with a million other people...

They must get a lot of loving couples that come through here to visit.

Finally we get out of the box and get a chance to meet our new friends! The day is young, and we still get to meet a crazy man!