Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #31
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 467
Stay tuned for the continuation of day two. A chance of redemption and the hunt for clutch plates!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #32
UK Jimbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
enjoying this one :)
UK Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #33
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick
Stay tuned for the continuation of day two. A chance of redemption and the hunt for clutch plates!
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #34
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Thumb

Great report, I'm taking my son on the TAT next year. I asked him what he wanted to celebrate his HS graduation, he could have picked Europe or Florida, nope he wants to hit the TAT, that's my boy. I have wanted for years to make a trip like this with him and for it to be his idea makes it even better. I hope you and your Dad have a great ride and make lots of memory's, be safe and thanks for the report.
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #35
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjohn
Great report, I'm taking my son on the TAT next year. I asked him what he wanted to celebrate his HS graduation, he could have picked Europe or Florida, nope he wants to hit the TAT, that's my boy. I have wanted for years to make a trip like this with him and for it to be his idea makes it even better. I hope you and your Dad have a great ride and make lots of memory's, be safe and thanks for the report.

Are you planning on doing the bypasses? It was the trip of a life time, and there is no one I would have rather gone with. I really don't think anyone was qualified besides my dad to put up with me
Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #36
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,370
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #37
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

My dad finds me, and I have never seen him look so relieved. We had made it, the road from here was mostly flat. The road was very scenic, but I was still tired.

We came to a really small town, I mean there were four wheelers parked at a restaurant. If that isn't an indication-I don't know what is. I will have to come back and edit this because I don't remember the name of the town. Pitkin?

Finally we rolled into Gunnison. I sent an OK message on the spot, and looked around for the next most important thing, food. Then we spotted it, the most wonderful thing in the entire world. I am not kidding you, subway looked like heaven. As I was climbing off to go inside I almost ate it. But phew- not parking lot biff. This was also probably the only time on the TAT when I didn't care that I looked like ish. With helmet hair and a dirt streaked face I walked into that subway head held high.

While I was ordering the boys show up! And the group was back together again. Oh...except they had better things to do then catch up. Bret and Ben needed to pick up some armour. Hancock and Tomichi had convinced them.

A sour feeling crept back into my stomach. Some people are really only concerned with themselves. I remembered my dad practically changing other peoples tires. I was mad that he went through physical pain to help someone else. Especially when we needed them this much. They just turned the other cheek.

" Dad, I'm going to take away your bike key if you help him."

Yes, I might have a little bit of a temper. But my dad did a good job of calming me down. We needed the group because it was safer. Yeah, because I'm sure only two out of the four people would care if I launched off a cliff. The others would be concerned because my dad wouldnt be able to ride with them.

Looking for clutch parts, Looking for clutch parts...Nothing. We run into the boys again, gearing up. We pick up some new tires. Make some small conversation. The tool started picking up some new equipment around the shop, since we wouldnt be riding with him. Okay, so he was ditching us forever?

We could do a quick tire change and then slab it with the group 40 miles or so to Lake City. It's 5 o'clock in the afternoon on a saturday. Tool shakes his head, nope they have to be out of there. And so we were left...for the third time that. They couldnt help with tires because they were too tired.

WTFWTFTWTFWTFWTF. Seriously? You cant even help us change our tires? I do remember, my dad bent over changing your fooking tires. What the heck.

ALL FAITH IN HUMANITY IS LOST.

Paramedicrogers looks down and says ' this sucks guys.'

At this point I vote for breaking down the group. The Kentucky boys are ours, we found them first. And you other guys? Good luck and good riddance.

They ride off into the sunset. We stay at the Days inn. Too tired to change tires. We grab a snack from a gas station. And my father being the crazy that he is, manages to bring a Big Gulp back to the hotel on his bike.

Sleep. Tomorrow we formulate a plan.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-23-2009 at 06:56 AM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #38
Ocelotl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thumb Thanks for bringing us along

I'm really enjoying reading this! Thanks!
Ocelotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #39
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
N

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #40
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Good report to read. I'm enjoying it. I have been understanding something very important by reading a lot of ride reports. Only ride w/ those that you know and trust. Keep the groups small. Out of everything, try to have a sense of humor about everything. :) Keep it going.
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #41
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
Good report to read. I'm enjoying it. I have been understanding something very important by reading a lot of ride reports. Only ride w/ those that you know and trust. Keep the groups small. Out of everything, try to have a sense of humor about everything. :) Keep it going.

Looking back at it now, things weren't as bad as I thought. There really was one person out of our group that I had several issues with. But I think sometimes its good to take the chance. We met the Kentucky boys, who are the most hilarious people ever. I loved riding with them, and would do so again in an instant!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #42
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

We woke up around 8. It was SO nice to sleep in. I never thought that I would use sleeping in and 8am in the same paragraph. I quickly remember that we were screwed. It was sunday, and I had no clutch.

That dad however...he had plans. We stored some of our tools in nalgene bottles and he was dumping them out on the bed. He might as well have been talking to himself because I don't know what he was saying. Something something something donation.

I learned how clutches worked that day. Both bikes were open, and parts all over the cement. Uav generously donated half of its good plates, and took half of my scorched ones.

Here is sunshine looking much better!

My dad looked at me and reminded me that I was not to do what I did again. That is, let my clutch spin into non existence.

We slabbed it to Ouray, Colorado. I love love love this town. This is not my first run in. Screw Moab Dad. Yankee Boy Basin!!

He shot me down. We needed a group if we were going to go up into the mountains. Not to mention our poor tire condition, and obviously running two bikes on one good clutch.

GRRRR!

Our next town we came to was Naturita. Ghetto...I mean seriously. I often wonder why people live where they do. People were born in Naturita and they just couldn't get out.

We stopped at a store to use the facilities, and something horrible happened. I was in the bathroom fixing my hair when I saw something black run through it. I did a quick yank of my hair band, and shook my hair like crazy. Gross Gross Gross. I HATE BUGS! How long had it freaking been in there. I may or may not have screamed. You guys will never know

Rushing back outside, I dodge the looks from people. I had my dad check my hair, and the bug was gone. Maybe it had just crawled down my shirt. Thanks Dad, your words always make me feel much better.

From here we caught up with the trail and headed to Moab. Jeep town, and slick rock. Onward.

Our tires were in poor condition, but we managed.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #43
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

The poppas Pirelli.

My Parker DT was all but gone. Suckage.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #44
jetdoctor
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 159
Hi Alix,
Keep working on your report. I am especially interested in your second leg out in Nevada, and Oregon.
I would not be too tough on the "tool." Everyone has to make their decisions on how and when to continue. Your dad obviously had things handled, and no one was leaving you to the coyotes. If he is who I think he is, he was already a long way from home and had maybe one chance in his lifetime to do a trip like this.
It can be hard to decide what is ethical, while still being respectful of others.
So what happens next?
Doug

See my Pictures at:
http://www.pbase.com/jetdoctor
jetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #45
5StarWonder
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Great writing ... thanks for sharing. I've only ridden with those I know ... thanks for the heads up. I guess it's just like anything else we do. But ... charge forward!!!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

03 BMW F650 GS 'beemer baby' aka the Billy-Goat, she takes me where I wanna go
[/COLOR]
5StarWonder is offline   Reply With Quote