Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #46
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,902
Yer dad sounds like a great guy Mav Chick. Good on ya fer riding with him and good on ya fer this here report!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #47
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Great writing MC!

Hey. Enjoyed the others RRs on this trip but sooooo interesting to read your snip on the ride.

Girl you done good!

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #48
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Really enjoying this report. Thanks for the video of hancock pass. I want to do the western TAT next year, and i was curious what it is like (rocky and steep, it seems).

Sorry you are having problems with people in the group. I know from experience that even with close friends who have similar riding skills, issues can easily develop that make the trip a real bummer. Often it is best to let the group split up and get together later down the road to keep people happy. But leaving you and your dad with a burnt out clutch at the top of the rockies - I can see why you were pissed.
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #49
LongCliff
Bagger

Can I ask how Bret's XT225 ran on Hancock pass? Was it ok with the altitude?

The xt225 normally runs very lean, and I was hoping the altitude would just richen it up a bit and it would still run ok?

I know your busy with the trip, and if you don't have time to respond, don't worry about it.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #50
leonphelps
TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongCliff
Often it is best to let the group split up and get together later down the road to keep people happy.
I concur with that....different people have different skills...best to meet up at the end of the day to swap stories. Riding alone is fine.....Just have a SPOT in case you are FUBAR...if you have cell service.
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #51
leonphelps
TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:

The xt225 normally runs very lean, and I was hoping the altitude would just richen it up a bit and it would still run ok?

I know your busy with the trip, and if you don't have time to respond, don't worry about it.
My WR250F ran fantastic at the high altitudes....

As you get higher it will run leaner...not richer.....
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #52
LongCliff
Bagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunceiii
As you get higher it will run leaner...not richer.....
Are you sure? Air is less dense (thinner) at high altitudes. Less air, same gas = richer mixture.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #53
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 464
We had reservations at the Super 8 in Moab. And let me tell you, once we got there...biggest super 8 ever. Luckily for us, they honored our employee discount. Not only that, but they were sold out! Phew! Close one. The super 8 was very nice, so of course we had to change our tires inside of it.

But first we were hungry. And there was a Dennys next door. Moons over my Hammy...need I say more? I had just got done ordering when my phone buzzed. Probably just one of my friends checking to make sure I had not died yet. So I ignored the e-mail and talked to my dad. He was saying that we might not meet up with our group. I was not very happy about riding solo.

I finally glanced down at my phone, and although I cannot remember the exact wording, it pretty much said call me, and it was from team Kentucky. We played e-mail tag for a minute trying to get contact numbers. Finally we make the call.

Well guess what? Team Kentucky split from the other group. Forced to fly blind without a GPS they were in Moab. It took me a minute to register this. WHaaaaaaaat? You guys are here. We are super stoked that the boys are in the same town we are and quickly tell them to get over to Dennys asap. Turns out that they were staying in the hotel on the other side of Dennys. The perfect meeting spot, right in the middle.

While we are waiting we get a call from the other group. They are in Monticello and Team Kentucky was in Moab. We thank them for passing it along, and make sure they are okay.

Meeting up with Team Kentucky again was AWESOME. Seriously, funniest guys ever. They relayed to us that they split because the other group wanted to go faster then Paramedicrogers wanted to take his new KLR. No biggie everyone has different riding speeds.

However...splitting from the paramedics...

But then again I was happy they were with us again. I really felt so much safer when they were there. I probably needed them more then anyone else

We said goodnight and once again how stoked we were and headed to our hotels. We would get to sleep in and do some maintenance.

By now you guys should know how crazy my dad is, so he WOULD suggest changing one tire when we were dead tired. Of freaking course. Learning moment number 654324 tires often leave a grease ring when placed on carpet in nice hotel rooms.

Note to self. It's less costly to ruin a bedspread then carpet. The bed actually worked out better. And we managed to get the grease out of the carpet with a special concoction. See I act like a girl sometimes
Old 09-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #54
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:

Bret's bike freaking killed it. He is from Utah like us, so our bikes are jetted for around 5000 feet. He also had a lower gear to climb up. I was geared to high..obviously

The only problem he had was in the sand. Everything else he just went up and over. An XT225 is a primo bike for the tat.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #55
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Are you sure? Air is less dense (thinner) at high altitudes. Less air, same gas = richer mixture.

Our bikes ran rich on Hancock. And towards the coast they freaking screamed. Lean. The other guy on the DRZ was really struggling because he was jetted at sea level.

From sea level to 13000 feet is too much for any carb.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 10:57 PM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:07 AM   #56
LongCliff
Bagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick
Bret's bike freaking killed it. He is from Utah like us, so our bikes are jetted for around 5000 feet. He also had a lower gear to climb up. I was geared to high..obviously

The only problem he had was in the sand. Everything else he just went up and over. An XT225 is a primo bike for the tat.
I don't like my xt225 in the sand either. Good to hear it was ok with Hancock. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick
Our bikes ran rich on Hancock. And towards the coast they freaking screamed. Lean. The other guy on the DRZ was really struggling because he was jetted at sea level.

From sea level to 13000 feet is too much for any carb.
I think you are right. I will bring some jets with me.

Ride On, and keep kicking ass MaverickChick!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #57
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,984
Very good RR. I will take the "tool" out riding sometime ...........there is a saying in the PNW............"friends don't let friends ride with Ward".........but..............I have NEVER left a rider that I agreed to ride with behind. One for all and all for one.

the "tool" might just be the first............if I ever get to ride with him

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:36 AM   #58
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Waking up in Moab! Utah for that matter. I was really excited for the riding ahead. Being from utah I figured that the riding would be pretty easy from now on. No more gigantic boulders to crawl over. Just rocks and sand. I justified my lack of other abilities by my ability in sand. Ahh yes, let me tell you about that ability....

Two words can sum up all of my experience with sand--freak recoveries. I made sure to tell Team Kentucky that they shouldnt worry about me here. This part of the TAT could be done with my eyes closed. Yes...eyes closed.

Sleeping in was awesome! I woke up ready to hit the day running. The other portion of our group was going to meet us here. So, while we were waiting for them to get to us, we changed tires. Which is my favorite thing to do in the entire world...yes. Team Kentucky was going to do some of that much loved KTM maintence.

Now, I am not big on that whole " Hey, lets talk to random strangers." In fact I liked the people that just gawked at us better. However, we were on dirt bikes with luggage. Of course people were going to ask questions.

We ran into this nice guy, who had ridden bikes before, and was loving our trip. Of course we sent him to ADV. He was in moab on a rafting trip. Mmmmmm rafting...

Ka-done! But not before the other part of our group comes up. They watch my dad change a tire by himself. Then they come up with a swell suggestion, we should get another room for the day so they can put their stuff in it and go and ride some slick rock. Now, I can't be too mad becasue we were invited as well.

And then the XT took a pavement nap.

The group consisting of two DRZ's and one XT took off to do some slick rock exploring. We of course had some more wrenching to do. As soon as we were done we were going to hit the road. The plan was to possibly rendevous on the white rim trail.

My dad told me that it was going to be sandy. Great-- half a clutch in the sand always fun. He also told me we were going to be traveling on the infamous Pot Ash Road. What is it infamous for? I have no idea. Pretty sure he is just trying to scare me.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-29-2009 at 05:21 AM
Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #59
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

To Pot Ash!

But first Team Kentucky needed to get their souvenir on. They came out with some pretty chill stickers. One of which Maxinquaye placed on his GIANT TANK. And by GIANT I probably mean something like a 6.6 gallon tank.

Our road starts out like this.

We are on some pavement and then we see a sign. Indian Writing. Score. Then we were asked by a car if we knew where it was. Nope, we had no freaking idea. I thought they would have a big arrow pointing to it on the rock or something. But in this case, nothing. I felt like I was playing where is Waldo. With the exception of not knowing what Waldo looks like...

Can you find him?

A member of Team Kentucky made a rather hilarious comment about the writing. However, I doubt the hilarity will transfer over the internet. Oh well.. This was the day I found out I was riding with Charley and Ewan....with better medical skills

Oh as well as bomb medical skills...Maxinquaye brought his Nikon. Thanks!

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-29-2009 at 04:56 AM
Old 09-29-2009, 05:05 AM   #60
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Moab is such a tourist trap. Dinosaur tracks? Hey, this is a vacation right? That means that we should do touristy things. Like hike a billion feet up to a dinosaur of questionable origin. Okay, so maybe its legit. All I know is that I was wearing MX boots...not hiking boots. It was also pretty darn hot. Cool for Moab, around 90. The black waterproof pants were doing nothing to improve the heat.

We just kind of stopped to look at the it. If we squint maybe we can see it instead of hiking up. Maxinquaye jumps off his bike. Way to be a go getter! We will hold down the fort.

The tracks are on the far ledge to the right of the picture.

Gee walk faster! We need to get that picture!

We were wishing that he would hurry up. All this sitting was making us tired. Once he got back down we looked at the tracks on his camera. I can seriously tell you I am glad that I did not walk all the way up there.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-29-2009 at 05:12 AM