Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 04:12 AM   #61
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 466
Now to get serious I mean we are on the tat arent we?!?

The road was decently easy. There were some small pockets of sand, which had to be avoided. Dust was everywhere, so I found it best to ride off the back tire of Maxinquaye.

Can I just tell how how not great an idea that was. Let me tell you about sand...or silt for that matter. Not only does it blow, its not a good idea to brake in it. This I know, all about keeping the speed up. I've had lectures on it a billion times. However, what is not usually thrown into the equation is hitting a paramedic. I set myself up for failure when I had to hit the brakes. Better I eat it then myself and Team Kentucky. I was pretty sure the crash would make a domino effect. Now no one can say I never took one for the team.

Well I was laying there. And my dad was doing the usual. He asked me if I was okay, and when I say yes he pulls out the camera. Which I happen to love. I mean a picture like that? Priceless. Still on the ground I hear Team Kentucky turning around. When they see that I am down they get off their bikes and rush over to see if I am okay. Then they pick up my bike and help me back on.

Thanks guys!

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-29-2009 at 04:22 AM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:27 AM   #62
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Up until this point I had no idea why it was called Pot Ash road. And at this point I thought that all great photographs with vivid color were a product of Photoshop, false. The answer came in the form of a brilliant blue body of water nestled in red rock and sands. Looking back on the TAT, this is one of the many images that I have burned into my brain.

How was this brilliant picture captured over the fence? Well it just so happens that Maxinquaye climbed on top of his bike, while my dad held it up. And Voila! This epic picture was captured. As I said...This picture hasnt been touched!

How cool is that? Yup, this day was one of the prettiest on the TAT!

What could go wrong with this seemingly perfect day. What's next dad? Ahh, just the Shafer Switchbacks....................................... .................................................. ..

Wait..

Switchbacks???

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-29-2009 at 04:33 AM
Old 09-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #63
PHOTON PHIL
THe REAL poser

Oddometer: 249
Great RR. I can hardly wait for more. You go girl
PHOTON PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #64
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

So before I continue, I will have to explain my phobia of switchbacks. This also plays in with my fear of right hand turns.

Back in the day I was minding my own business, trucking up to some radio towers. This was my first two months or so of riding. The road was gravel, and I was starting to get stressed going up these turns. The distance from the top of one switchback down to the other was about 15 feet.

Well I come up slightly short on one of the turns and start climbing the side hill. This was no good. I manage to get back on the road. However, I was aimed perfectly for shooting off the edge. My dad yells stop and I quickly steer the other way and blip the throttle. My back tire spins out and I lay the bike down. The important thing was that I was on the road. Laying on the ground I quickly think about what would have been....

If I had taken a trip down the switchback, I would have hit the lower part about 15 feet below. And if I did not stop there I would have made the rocky slide down an 800 foot drop off. Joy. And this is the basis of my fear of switchbacks,

And if that was not bad enough. I had been reading the Mobius thread, and I recall something about the Shafer Switchbacks. I am not sure if she skipped them or if they leap frogged down them. It was enough to freak me out.

Shafer switchbacks? I would have like to do the White Rim trail. We quickly took inventory of the time of day and the amount of water we had. And it was a no go. Freaking switchbacks. Oh Moab would be a charming little town to be paralized in, no?

Oh well you see Mav, we are just going to wind our way up this small hill. Greeeaattt, sounds fantastic.

I still had not learned my lesson about tail gating apparently. Following behind the KLR was lugging my bike too bad. Stalling in a switchback was not very high on my to do list. My dad came up and gave me the fall back signal. I thought he was just showing me what to do.

I think I would have greatly liked to fall from this point. It's not like it was steep at all.

Eventually Paramedicrogers gave me the all clear to go ahead of him. The switchbacks were pretty easy. I am not going to lie and say I could have done them with my eyes closed. But the whole ride up was a non issue. I did not even almost launch over the cliff. Phew. But man oh man, some parts of them were steep.

The views were amazing! And even though there were some steep corners I would most definitely do it again.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 09-29-2009 at 10:34 PM
Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #65
Xenocide
Plodding along

Oddometer: 24
Holy hell that's some pictures. Great ride report girl! You're a way better rider then I am.

My KTM'll be working soon and i'll make some short RR of my own :).

You're an inspiration
Xenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #66
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocide
Holy hell that's some pictures. Great ride report girl! You're a way better rider then I am.

My KTM'll be working soon and i'll make some short RR of my own :).

You're an inspiration

KTM's are awesome. Get down here and lets hit the wash and Eagle canyon. I've been itching to get back down there.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #67
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

As usual when I finished with the switchbacks, I thought " man that wasnt that bad". I always tend to stress the little things. But somehow I almost always seem to manage...somehow.

Ahh the view from the top. Totally awesome.

When we got to the top of the Switchbacks we saw a pay box. Because we had to cross into Canyon Lands there was a 5 dollar a person fee. My dad had seen a paybox earlier but there was no paybox. There is always a small dilemma..

okay so not really we paid the toll and were off on our way. We took a twisty twisty road to a look out. I think it was Dead Horse Point. We could took off to the side and see the white rim trail. I was so bummed. It looked freaking awesome.

Before the dirt wheels went on my DRZ had super moto wheels. Man oh man how I wish I had them now. I was not down with the dunlop 606's on the pavement in corners. Regardless I still had a my knee out, looking a fool.

The view was most excellent so I wasnt even mad when I found out that we had to go back the same way.

Along the way we stopped at a visitors center above the switchbacks. And what did we witness? A chrystler 300 freshly coated with dirt. Now thats funny because I think I remember one at the bottom...

HOLY CRAP!

We are all getting a good laugh and then my dad askes the guy if that was a rental. He replies with a thick french accent that yes, it was. of course. French people these days!

Speaking of strange and slightly hilarious things. We see an Asian guy with a video camera. he is holding his camera down so that we cannot see he was fliming us. Very odd. He walk over to our bikes and he is in the van next to us. Good thing more then one of us is sneaky with the camera....

If your wondering what happened to the camera...well...the answer is that at some point I was carrying it...And I broke it...

And then a member of Team Kentucky let the trip get to him. He was super scared and feeling all alone. Hang in there Maxinquaye its okay, everything is going to be alright! It really does get easier from here! We promise. Good thing we managed to talk him down, but not before we got a picture of him stuck in the moment of panic!

( insert jump picture)

Okay so maybe he just likes to get dangerously close to edges. It all for a good shot.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #68
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Finally we get back on some TAT. Wahoo!

The roads all looked like into Green River. Well, until we got lost and found our way in a sandy sandy road. Okay so maybe we were not lost. this was just one of his infamous shot cuts. We missed our turn by about five miles.. So basically his shortcuts consist of either off road or what he calls boon docking. This just so happened to be going a certain direction until we hit a road. Filled with sand... This is when I came to the conclusion that there not a lot of sand riding in Kentucky. The team was about 3 minutes behind us.

Such beautiful scenery..man oh man Utah is beautiful...except maybe this part of the TAT.

Huge ruts started showing up. And this is when Paramedicrogers on his trusty KLR decided to haul butt. He must have been listeing to some cranking music because he was crusing. We were going at least 50 MPH. I was looking down at the two foot ruts and getting flashbacks of flying over the handlebars . Sketchy. Note to self get his playlist.

The roads then improved and got much better.

I was getting pretty low on gas when we hit the freeway for the last couple miles into Green River. When we are going through the sand I get about 100 miles top. Before we got on the freeway it was already flipped to reserve.

My dad had a 2 gallon gas tank on the back of his bike.

" Hey dad can I get some petrol?"

" Nah, I think that you will make it."

FALSE...Bears eat beats.

I was on the off ramp when my bike started chugging. Son-of-a.... Well I am stopped and the guys are riding off into the sunset. Peace out girl scouts.

But then everyone in the group turned around and drove the wrong way on the freeway ramp to rescue me. Team work. This is what riding with a group is all about.

Left with good feelings I was fueled up and we made it to the super 8. We had a fine dining experience at the BK next door. We then met up with the rest of our group, where they told us horror stories about White Rim Trail.

And then I passed out...Team Kentucky was making videos, and my dad was dinking with GPS stuff.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #69
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Making videos about Magadan and The Road of Bones. Their film even included my hairbrush.

And tool...I guess we will have to call him something else now. Well, he let us use his computer cord, because of you know...the incident.

What lay ahead? A new clutch in Richfield. All I had to do was make it through the Black Dragon..

With sand...and rocks. Uh-oh
Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #70
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

We woke up a dark. I was still very very very tired. What else is new. Because we got up so early we now have this wonderful shot of Team Kentucky. Sleeping well guys? If they lived in Utah I probably wouldn't be posting this picture...but Kentucky is a long way away...

Nuts...

Dad has a project for me. I will return!! Freakin dads.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #71
5StarWonder
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thumb Mav!

Girl, I am LOVIN' your report!! Keep it up! Come to NC and ride the Dragon with me ... I'll take vacation time just to ride along with you (your Dad is more than welcome, as are friends!!) .... report required! in the meantime!

03 BMW F650 GS 'beemer baby' aka the Billy-Goat, she takes me where I wanna go
[/COLOR]
5StarWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #72
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,873
Hey Mav Chick!

Magnificent Moab shots! I can't wait to go there on the mighty KLR, but that deep sand scares the skin off me.

Lifetime memories girlfriend.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #73
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StarWonder
Girl, I am LOVIN' your report!! Keep it up! Come to NC and ride the Dragon with me ... I'll take vacation time just to ride along with you (your Dad is more than welcome, as are friends!!) .... report required! in the meantime!

We plan on hitting the dragon some time next summer, I will for sure hit you up when we know a date.

And as to to the KLR in the sand, Paramedicrogers had no incidents in Moab. There was some sand later on but he trucked through it. I would say that the passes were hardest for him. All in all KLR is not a bad bike.

With any bike in the sand practice makes perfect. I was lucky that we have tons of sand here, so I was semi prepared.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #74
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

I was feeling pretty brave after I had snapped that photo of the paramedics sleeping. Sorry boys it had to be done. Today was not going to be a bad day at all. Sure we had to make it through the Black Dragon Wash. Sure I only had half of a clutch. But for some reason I was totally optimistic about this day. Something just felt right. If only I knew, this is the day that went horribly wrong.

Team Kentucky was going to split. Maxinquaye was going to go with the other group, leaving my dad,Paramedicrogers and myself. Not a bad group. But leaving without the other half of Team Kentucky just felt wrong.

Regardless we were off.

We were heading out of town to get on our road when Paramedicrogers zooms up to the side of me. He has his underwear hanging from his mirror. Not a bad way to dry them out, but amusing none the less.

When I had gotten over the fact that KLR guy was flying his drawers for the world to see, I notice that we have been here before. This was where we had stopped on our way from Salt Lake to Gunnison. Wow. We were close to home, about 300 miles is all. Did I really want to continue this journey? Of course I did, well, we will see after this wash situation gets straightened out.

We went through that gate, looking for a way to cross under the freeway. The terrain was sand with sagebrush growing on top of it. Tricky fish. Well we have been looking for about ten minutes and we cant find anything. So my dad, as usual gets this great idea to get off the road and check it out. Uh-huh. It was loose and I was spinning my tire like crazy. I was having a good time, I love using my throttle to break out my back tire. And then...my dad drives down a ravine. Yeah, I'm totally driving down into that sand pit.. Then Paramedicrogers starts circling around. Good he isn't going either. And then he does. WTF, how could I not go now. I am still sitting there when Paramedicrogers points out a better line then my dad took. Fine. I use some gas and drop in and climb back out. Easy peasy.

Well...we still cant find this darn tunnel, so we head back the way the came and we will just get off on the next dirt road that connects. Awesome plan!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #75
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

The road that we get off on is acceptable. By acceptable I mean boring. Where was this sand? Where were these rocks. I know we were not in the wash yet, but come on. This smooth road, had a few ups and downs. Some twisty corners, but I wanted more. And then I see it, not the road. My dad who is about 100 feet in front of me is gone. A cloud of silt is thrown into the air.

Dangeeet.

I stand up and get over my back tire. Planning to take the right rut I think I should be fine, as long as I don't get crazy and go up over the massive sand pile in the center. I hit it and give up on controlling my bike. It slips this way and that way. YEEE-HAW.

And then sunshine is urged to do a rather peculiar thing. The front tire is perfectly poised to go up and over...SHOOOT.

I push and I pull, I blip the throttle, shifting weight on the pegs. I stop, but much to my surprise I am still on the bike. And I kid you not, I am still upright. That Maverickchick is pretty BA.

Perhaps I celebrated too early. I am stuck in 6 inches of silt. And I only have half a clutch. But the advantage was that I could touch the ground being in a rut and all. Using my feet to get stable, I carry enough speed to get out of there. Phew.

Stopping next to my dad grinning ear to ear I start to say how totally awesome it was. Then my Dad tells me to go back and help Paramedicrogers. What? I get off my bike and look behind me. Sure enough the KLR is tipped over, he is standing over it with his head down.

Maverickchick to the rescue.

See those out of control tracks? The Poppa is human, and he almost ate it(Tank slapper). For once I had the least sketchy get away. Yesss

MaverickChick screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 10:22 AM