Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #76
subcomm
adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 151
Great ride report Mavchick! Very funny stuff!

Definition of dirt map from The Urban Dictonary:
dirt nap
When you take a major fall off of typically an off road personal vehicle...ex: dirt bike, atv, quad, etc. This could also easily be applied to falling off of anything really...ex: bicycle, skateboard, rollerblades, stripper pole etc.

for example - Holy sh*t dude! Did you see that douche bag try to jump over that dune on his quad? His leg is turned around backward! That was the worst dirt nap I've ever seen!
subcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #77
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 461
Then we are rewarded. Huge walls tower above us, but before we can see what is in there we must cross a rock garden. And beneath them was sand. I feel really dumb, but apparently a wash is where a river used to run through. Interesting...

Before we crossed the rocks

And then once we are passed I am stunned. The rock riddled mountains of colorado, and peaceful green are nothing compared to this.

Sheer beauty. I have never felt so small in my entire life. This was amazing, this is the prettiest place on earth. It's in Utah, and I've never been here.

This isnt chilling on a beach pretty. This is just...awesome. Everyone should make a trip here.

Oh yes...and the riding?? Awesome!! You would get going sideways and hit a rock bounce off and slide. Epic. Black Dragon...Oh man.

And then we come to a huge rock in our road. I don't really know why we are going to go around it. It is just a two foot rock with a slight angle. I had been up things similar. What does that crazy dad of mine do? he does the uncrazy and turns right around and takes a path off to the side. Paramedicrogers does the same. So so so tempting...

Finally I turn around...well that is I try to turn around. You see being short and doing slow speeds in rocks seems to relate to biffing it. Aww maan.

Luckily Paramedicrogers was on his wayy to rescue. And thank you Dad for taking this funny picture. Yeah..sometimes I fall down

This is when the contest started..who was going to eat it more that day? Paramedicrogers? or Maverickchick. This may seem like a no brainer to those who are reading. But let me remind you, Paramedicrogers is riding a KLR through the sand.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #78
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,783
Great RR so far there Mav!

Hurry up and keep posting!!!! I'm flying back out to CA in two days and should be getting back on the trail where I broke down by the end of next week. I want to see what I have to look forward to and what to watch out for!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #79
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider
Great RR so far there Mav!

Hurry up and keep posting!!!! I'm flying back out to CA in two days and should be getting back on the trail where I broke down by the end of next week. I want to see what I have to look forward to and what to watch out for!
May the force be with you. I look forward to reading you RR! We did our ride in two halves also, the break was really nice.

Are you on A DRZ E or S? The lower weight is going to be awesome! You have done the hardest part, your ride is just going to get easier. Oregon was a cake walk compared to everything else. How so you ask? I didn't eat it once.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #80
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcomm
Great ride report Mavchick! Very funny stuff!

Definition of dirt map from The Urban Dictonary:
dirt nap
When you take a major fall off of typically an off road personal vehicle...ex: dirt bike, atv, quad, etc. This could also easily be applied to falling off of anything really...ex: bicycle, skateboard, rollerblades, stripper pole etc.

for example - Holy sh*t dude! Did you see that douche bag try to jump over that dune on his quad? His leg is turned around backward! That was the worst dirt nap I've ever seen!

Urban Dictionary... Good times. I'm going to get that definition on a T-shirt or something.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #81
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

We slowly climb out of the wash. In front of us loomed this huge rock face, and do you know what happend? Paramedicrogers just went for it. Oh boy, I'm not sure if eating it on slick rock is my thing. But as usual everything is okay.

And in the true Maverickchick spirit I see a hill and start to question my abilities. Look at this sucker!!

There many things that I learned on this trip, but two in general stick out now. Things are never as steep as they look in photo's. And all hills look nasty from the bottom.

As usual, this hill was not anything to write home about.

Wandering around in circles it seems, we are looking for our way out. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to stop on top of this hill. Well, I came up a little short. Started rolling backwards and ate it. A broken clutch lever was the only damage. Besides my pride, when my father shouted " Saw that one coming!"

Finally we come to a gate. Which I gladly open. It was getting pretty hot. And I missed the wash. My dad told me that more good stuff was coming. Excellent!

Old 10-05-2009, 02:19 AM   #82
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

So what is next on the adgenda? Swasey cabin. Sounds pretty lame to me. I thought that we were going to see something interesting? Some people find pretty boring things interesting.

The road to get there is boring. Just a normal dirt road. I am on a DRZ not a GS what the heck. Give me some adventure. There are a lot of turns off's and I wonder what would happen if we got lost out here.

Notar was packing a GPS. Way to ruin all possibility of adventure Dad. When we do reach the cabin, I have to admit it is kind of cool. And I get to remembering where I was. On the TAT, on the greatest adventure I had been on my entire life.

In true Poppa spirit we can't just park in the lot. We drive up the foot path to the cabin. I mean...we walked up the path leaving our bikes below.

We quickly go up for the often loathed photo's. I don't know how many times I told my dad, " I don't need to be in the picture." Well, he disagree'ed. Guys will never understand how sweat, dirt and helmet hair all combine for a wonderful picture.

Whats the dark stuff on the walls dad? Poop...so glad I asked.

Was this place meant to show people how selfish and plush our lives are? People lived out here. In a house the size of my bedroom. These guys were hardcore. I kept running old westerns through my mind...man I hate westerns.

And yes, I do find the need to take up 5 lines.

The other part of our group was still behind us. I was stoked, we were making good time. Paramedicrogers wrote about his buddy Ben ( maxinquaye) and how he would get here soon.

The black DRZ is known as Uav, and it is pretty loud. So loud that a neighbor once told me she would call the cops if I ever started it again. Well, Maxinquayes bike is louder.

Areyoufreakinkiddingme.

They are here and they caught us. I quickly got to my bike and started to get ready for a quick get away. All I got in return was a weird look from my dad and Paramedicrogers. Thanks guys! We still coulda had them!

We must look pretty crazy to people. A large group of dirt bikes. All loaded up...

Oh Hey! Look who knows there is being a picture taken! Me. Wake up Paramedicrogers!!! We got some more trail to do!

Because I only have a two gallon tank, it's fill up time.

Nalgene cantene, yes I do recommed them.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 02:06 PM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:48 AM   #83
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Enter Eagle Canyon. Another highlight of the trip. You see in the wash at least you knew there were going to be sand and rocks. In here...everything looked the same. It was all up to your front tire to tell you what kind of terrain you were on. The views were awesome, and the ride was going to be sweet.

On account of our busted clutches, and Paramedicrogers being on a KLR. We were going to do a bypass. Normally I would have balked at this, but a nice warm familiar smell was coming from my bike.

Cya Mav! Be careful down there!

The other group catches up behind us. Not bad timing either. We find ourselves poised for a another perfect group shot.

Too bad we couldnt get the entire arch in this picture!

Much better!

The other group takes off, taking the lead position. Oh well, I am much happier with the more relaxed pace, especially if it means we actually get to take pictures!

The road ranges from really good, to really loose and sandy. Which I love. Yup, Eagle Canyon was pretty high on my list as well.

If we were in Lonesome Dove, we would have been ambushed by now. As much as I was enjoying it, I was kind of getting the creeps. Not something I would admit. But hey, why not spill to random people on the internet?

Then suddenly the roads arent so good anymore, they are better. It is just like we are back in the wash. I remember my tail gaiting problem and back off. My days of tire riding are behind me.

It is getting increasingly sandy, I round a corner and what do I see??

Paramedicrogers down!!

He was taking video but stopped right before this crash. Freakin' Fail. Give us some carnage!

We help him hoist the beast up. Man, that thing is heavy!

" Don't let me win, Mav."

Well Maverickchick and Paramedicrogers are tied. Notar is still looking pretty with a total of 0 tip overs. Well, that is arguable. He did manage to tip Sunshine on Hancock....

I know we are on the right path when we see this cool bridge!

Ahhh yes, I have seen this baby in many a ride reports.

We truck along. The road now has uphills and rocks.

And after this hill, we encounter one with steps, and drop offs. My oh so favorite combo.

After this we go through some super awesome tunnel and jet to a hotel. What lies ahead? We will have to wait for dinner to hear from the guys.

I do know that my clutch plates are waiting.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #84
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

We checked in to our hotel. That is, after being told that my plates were not there. What the HECK! I was pretty pissed at this point in time.

But back in our group that had not done the bypass...well they were having worse luck. It was around this point in time I imagine, that Maxinquaye misjudged a corner and flew off.

The clerk from the hotel presented us with a box! Success our plates were there.

Ghilly was rescuing Maxinquaye. Making sure no arms or legs were broken. Making sure that he was not seriously hurt.

How I hate bringing all my stuff upstairs. They had no ground floor rooms. Stop complaining Mav! Your clutch plates are here. Your trip is saved. Little did I know...it was doomed.

Paramedicrogers was going to find a post office, he was going to yet again- thin out some stuff. And the Poppa was downstairs swapping out some clutches. I was going to be tearing it up.

But he was back too fast. Paramedicrogers walked into the room with gloom written all over his face. My phone sat on my bed, blinking with a message I was about to hear. Maxinquaye hurt, taking him to the hospital.

This was awful. This was beyond awful. To this day it still is awful. One of our Paramedics was hurt. And he was being taken via ambulance to the hospital. Optimism escaped me. How could this happen? Why was our trip doomed? First the clutch and then this?

I just sat there and waited for my dad to finish with the clutches. Then we would go and visit.

Oh Ben....what happened?

I hate hospitals. The smell. The nurses appologetic faces. Maxinquaye was in a wheel chair waiting for an x-ray. Harsh noises escaped from his mouth, and I realized he was trying to breathe.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 AM   #85
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Waiting.

Maxinquaye told us about the corner. And how he just missed it, it had been going straight for so long...He sailed off the side of the road, landed against a rock and was taken off his bike.

Ghilly had been Johnny on the spot and rushed down to him. They managed to find a quicker way out then the TAT. And Maxinquaye was able to ride it to a gas station. Then an ambulance was called.

" I'm going to get out of here, and we are going to leave in the morning."

What the heck Maxinquaye. I'd like see you try and ride how you are now. He was full of jokes, and seemed pretty immune to the situation.

If I would have ate it that hard I would lay there and demanded a helicopter. Seriously.

The Doctor came in and told him that he could leave. And although he didnt recommend it, he would be able to ride.

SWEET.

The second opinion is what screwed us. Maxinquaye had ridden his bike...drum roll...with broken ribs and a lacerated kidney.

He was going to have to stay the night. At least we had one more night on the TAT before we had to head home....

XT225 guy Bret and Ghilly were off to rescue Maxinquayes KTM. And how were they doing it? Two up on the XT.

Two grown men on an XT, one with pink goggles. Why don't we have a picture of this??!?!

MaverickChick screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 03:38 AM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #86
Gillmartin
Desultory Dilettante

Oddometer: 1,638

Edge. of. Seat...

Hope all is well. Great report.
Gillmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #87
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

And for most important update! How was his bike??

Apparently those KTM's can take a beating. His bike still looked better then Sunshine. But now we had matching bent handlebars!! Hooray

Luckily we got his bike back. I was worried about poor Ghilly having to ride on the back with crazy Bret driving.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #88
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick
Are you on A DRZ E or S? The lower weight is going to be awesome! You have done the hardest part, your ride is just going to get easier. Oregon was a cake walk compared to everything else. How so you ask? I didn't eat it once.
It's an S model. Good to hear that OR is a "cake walk"; lord knows I've been down enough times so far on this trip!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #89
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider
It's an S model. Good to hear that OR is a "cake walk"; lord knows I've been down enough times so far on this trip!

You know, I was on an E and we brought paramedics. If I had been on a KLR we would have needed Doctors.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 AM   #90
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

I'm laying in bed thinking this blows, this was the only day that sleep did not come easy. It may or may not have to do with the party of 30 year old guys in the room.

Seriously guys, go to bed. I think they got the hint when I was under the covers with a pillow over my head. Mav is a jerk? Only when it comes to sleep.

The sun hits our window and the traffic picks up on the nearby street. Ugh, morning already? This is a maintenance day. Ghilly's bike had not been running correctly, nor Todd's. So my dad, the group mechanic was going to tear them both apart.

Enter Crash. WTF dude. Shouldn't you be in le hospital? He informs us that he could hit a speed bump and his kidney would start to ooze. No riding for him. I pretty much figured...you normally don't ride away from a hospital visit. Especially when it involved high speeds and jumping off a road.

Team Kentucky- Laundry - Break.

Paramedicrogers had to get the sand out of his pants.

What did my dad and I do before he started into ghillys bike? Took a nice trip down to Wellsfargo.

Not only do I fall down a lot, but I tend to misplace things. Something that drives my dad absolutely crazy. " If you put something in the same place every time, you will never misplace it."

That's the exact quote that was going through my mind when he told me he lost my debit card. Yup, I gave it to him for save keeping and it was MIA.

It's okay Dad--I forgive you because there is a Wells here. I am still on the fence about the shirts you ruined. Protecting the tools by wrapping them in my shirts...Dads these days.

After coming back from the rain drop filled trip to the bank, my dad starts working on bikes. Leaving me alone to transfer pictures from all the guys. You see because somehow a ridiculous decision had been made...

Paramedicrogers wasnt going to do that Tat without Maxinquaye. Which I do understand. There is no way I would even consider doing the TAT if my dad got hurt.

While dad is turning wrenches, I turn into a dirty rotten schemer

Team Kentucky and Mav, working the problem.

Rental car and chase vehicle yeah yeah yeah.

But nothing seemed to fall into place. With much persuasion Paramedicrogers was going to tour Colorado and then go home. Now what to do with the busted up guy.....

Here was the plan:

Notar and Mav go get the ADV camry from Salt Lake
Come back and pick up Crash
Take him to SLC
Have him fly back to KY

His bike? Who knows. My dad was going to store it until we had a plan.

All this thinking was making us hungry. It was our last meal as a group, so it had to be good. The nurse had told us about a really nice steak house.

Excellent

We get there and the hunks o'meat are about 30 dollars. I really don't see a problem with this. It's our last meal guys! Lets splurge. It only took about 15 seconds for someone to suggest we bail and hit some Chinese restaurant down the road

I hate Chinese...

Turns out this 'cool' place served steaks... YESSSS

Turns out it was the most disgusting thing i've ever had.

The ride the next morning sucked. We woke up and Ghilly and Todd were gone. Paramedicrogers and Maxinquaye signed my number plate. I was kinda going for just the name, type of thing. But my dad turned it into a yearbook situation. Oh well...it freakin' kicks butt.

Don't drive long distances on your dirt bike kids. It sucks. I hate the ATV pad that is on it. It just makes my bike taller. The only thing that saved me was sitting on my loop. Sucks for Notar who was carrying the computer

Next thing I know we are bringing Maxinquaye back to SLC. I don't know how this got brought up, but it boiled down to the question of how long I had been riding for.

Well, I started riding in January....of this year. Then I didn't have a bike for three months, and we left for the TAT in August.

Yeah he pretty much freaked out.

Hello readers of this thread, my name is Mav.

HI MAV

And I did the Western TAT on 4 months experience...

Being home was weird. Maxinquaye flew out the next day. I got some good socializing in, and did not see my dad for about 4 days. You know when you feel like you are forgetting something and its driving you crazy?

Well, I know what I forgot. I did not get to ride on that beach. I did not get to run from the waves. When I finally did see my dad I could tell he felt the same.

" I have the maps for Nevada"
" And I have 6 more days off."

So we packed up the next morning and left.

NOTAR_520 and Maverickchick are not quitters