Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
carmima OP
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,949
OZ - Bendethera NSW

Well another ride organised by DANNOj. Becoming a bit of a habit there Danno

The plan was a weekend trip to a National Park area in southern NSW. As can sometimes happen, the plan grew and became a 3 day adventure of some proportion for a few of the participants.

My plan was to ride to Bendethera via Canberra for the Friday night. I had to drop Rossco's seat back to him and we had to christen Fish's new beer fridge. Of course I wanted as much dirt as possible.

My journey started early Friday morning:

I slabbed it down the tar to Mittagong for brekky then headed west via Wombeyan Caves Rd and the start of the dirt:

It'd been a beautiful morning until I hit the dirt and then it started raining
Weather forecaster's - can't trust em, can't shoot em! But the scenery was great:

Very gloomy:

Ahh - How's the serenity :

I stopped for a double rum at Taralga pub and promptly lost the key to the bike so the publican and I got to work trying to find it. Once found he said, 'I know you, you've been here before!"
I start getting ready to run and he says it's good to see me again - phew
Seems the last time I was there I / we made an impression. oodeano and I stayed about 12 months previously and had a massive night on the rums .
Anyway we chatted for a bit and I told him to expect some action on the weekend of the TTT. He was glad of the tip and said he'd get extra food in for those who'd stop for lunch on Saturday.

I left Taralga and headed through Crookwell:

On the way to Dalton:

From Dalton through to Yass and headed out to Wee Jasper. Really beautiful out this way and obviously had a bit of rain:

And still raining :

It was freezing at this point. My knees were so cold I didn't think I'd ever walk properly again.
Headed into the Brindabella's via Doctor's Flat Rd:

The track is all clay and just as I'd headed in it poured down so the top 5mm was just slick clay - slippery as ice and made for slower riding.

Between the back of the bike trying to overtake the front and hundreds of kangaroos trying to kill themselves in front of me I need to stop for the odd breather:

Finally made it to a place where civilisation could be seen. Canberra in the distance:

For those that haven't been to Canbarra, it is nestled in the middle of old volcanos and is heavily tree'd, so you don't realise it's a reasonably big city.
A closer shot of Black Mountain Tower:

Anyway the rsain was starting to clear and it was a fun ride down the eastern side of the Brindy's and through Uriara Crossing and on to 'Casa Del Fish' - my accomodation for the evening.
Fridge christening underway:

My filthy steed next to some nice clean fresh ones:

Then it was off early Saturday morning for a meeting at maccas in Queanbeyan:

From there we were no 6 in number and headed toward Araluen via Captains Flat Rd, Hoskingtown and Majors Creek. The group then grew to 12 (i think).
Meetin outside Araluen pub. Also time for a quick rum before hitting the might of the Merricumbene track.

Lots of lovery orange :

Had a fantastic run down Araluen Rd sliding through tight corners until we got to Dry Creek Crossing_not so dry though:

The creek crossing was handled without incedent but that was soon to change

The first stop was lengthy as a flat tyre was encountered at the first hill. No photos of this from me as I was ahead at that stage:
Part of the group waiting:

Once reformed we headed to a high trig point and stopped for lunch:

Photos never do the terrain any justice. These tracks climb up from a few meters above sea level to approx 800mtrs and some with no turns - just straight up with regular erosion mounds builtin. Makes for entertaing riding:

I'd ridden with the front few guys so I missed a lot of the carnage that was happening behind. No doubt someone will have some photographic evidence.

The next pics are of a reasonably sharp switchback that was both steep and had a very unstable shale surface.
Reasonable levels of disaster to be witnessed.

The first is DANNOj - although he's pretty darned quick at getting his bike up, so no photographic evidence of it actually being down, although you'd have to question why he's facing the WRONG direction :

That was quickly rectified and he was up and away:

Stephan (thegermanbloke) asking "you mean I gotta get up there?"

Then making it look easy:

Fish - also making it easy with ulta low gearing engaged :

Rossco's turn:

Opps and ouch:

Are we there yet :

Not much sympathy from this quarter but a good single man cheers squad :

Ok...so lets try this little sucker again:

Bugger - too much wheel spin:

Didn't know bikes had reverse gear - look out I'm coming back down:

Here we go - wonder if I can make an amusment park ride out of this stuff:

And you'll see in the foreground there's a video camera with it's light on getting all the action in living, moving colour

Sorry Rossco. But gees it did look spectacular :

Others in various states of transition:

trussel doing it in style:

micl:

Danno:

micl again and making it:

And finally after a 4 or so hour ordeal to cover 40k's wee made it into Bendethera.

Some just can't leave the comforts of home - good on ya Steve :

I must have started drinking because all of a sudden the pics became blurry :

Home sweet home for me and lights out:

And that folks is all there is from me because then my batteries went flat .

Hopefully others will pick up and add more to the story.

Thanks to danno and all the crew for an absolutely brilliant weekend.
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
Great photo's and report

Thanks for sharing!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,580

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Micl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Crash

OK you have seen the crash still so I may as well provide the video

TRied to embed it but didn't work so you will need to use the link. Trust me its worth it

Plenty more to come once I have done some editing .....

http://micl.smugmug.com/gallery/9140...09482369_wKZmr

MicL
Micl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micl
OK you have seen the crash still so I may as well provide the video

TRied to embed it but didn't work so you will need to use the link. Trust me its worth it

Plenty more to come once I have done some editing .....

http://micl.smugmug.com/gallery/9140...09482369_wKZmr

MicL
What a lame arse, I'm ashamed to be me

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Micl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Lame Arse

I don't know about that, I was impressed how quickly you got up it looked like you had really hit hard

MicL
Micl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
carmima OP
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
but mate...just think how awesome you are on open trails - legend
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #8
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Great report guys. Looks like you had a fantastic weekend.
Thanks for sharing
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
Do you want to know what you did wrong Rossco ?

No commitment , no aggression , no balls !

Now I know where the Ball slap came from , you wanted to feel what a ballsy mans testicles feel like without appearing gay !
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
rosscoact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman
Do you want to know what you did wrong Rossco ?

No commitment , no aggression , no balls !

Now I know where the Ball slap came from , you wanted to feel what a ballsy mans testicles feel like without appearing gay !
I used up the committment, aggression and balls in the first three falls ya big wally

Old 08-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #11
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Unfortunately when the commitment and aggression run out you normally hit the hardest. The balls on the other hand is the piece of the puzzle that hurts you bad.

I think slow speed bike control is the key to mastering that stuff, bloody boring practising it but it pays off big time.

Looking forward to the vids Micl, and no its not just to see the rest of Rosscos crashing.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
la fletche
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Hey guys, well done. Did my first hill climb last week, snuck it in during work hours. Hard work, had a little spill myself. Was on a mates DR400. Wrong smily but my son wanted it put on.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #13
rosscoact

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
Unfortunately when the commitment and aggression run out you normally hit the hardest. The balls on the other hand is the piece of the puzzle that hurts you bad.

I think slow speed bike control is the key to mastering that stuff, bloody boring practising it but it pays off big time.

Looking forward to the vids Micl, and no its not just to see the rest of Rosscos crashing.
True indeed Steve. The sight of you putting calmly up those hills was fantastic, Saw a great deal of committment and control, bugger all aggression though. If I live long enough I aspire to that

Old 08-03-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
Mark bloody fantastic photos mate!! Some real pearlers there

And Al, some rippers there also, love the creek shots.

It was a great weekend -- thanks to all those that turned up. While things were a little slow at times picking up riders, bikes and luggage, and then re-attaching the said items to bikes, there were still plenty of laughs over the whole day!!

Mark has covered the weekend pretty well, so I'll just put up my photos with a few comments.

Stephan (theGERMANbloke), Craig (Guilty Party), Troy (TRussel) and myself left Sydney at about 10am. We slabbed it to Nowra, and then took Dean's Gap Road across to the Morton National Park....

Stephan re-starpping his luggage, a bit of a theme for the weekend for a few....

Troy.....

Craig....

Stephan's sleeping bag wasn't ready at the dry-cleaners that morning, so I had to strap a spare one to the back of the 640 for him. Luckily (for him) he phoned me about thirty seconds before I started my bike to leave home.....

We took the dirt all the way to Araluen, except for a small diversion through Milton where we grabbed lunch. We rolled into Araluen in the dark, at about 6.30pm.

Craig packing the bike the next morning....

That was my bedroom for the night, behind the lovely lace curtain....

The rest of the group rolled in.....

We weren't on the track for long before Craig had the KLR upside down in a tree!! Well, maybe not in a tree, but word is it was upside down.... which doesn't make sense because he copped a nail in his rear tyre....

Luckily my little bro Brad had decided at last minute to tag along -- there were jacks, jacking boards, air compressors -- which was fortunate given the steepness of the hill they were changing the tyre on.....

Stu had a crash going up this loose bastard of a hill, but launched off the bike tumbling and stumbling for 20 metres before face planting into the rocks. He got up, but I bet he hurt. Tough man, especially considering he then had to get on the XR and kick the thing over (not easy after being upside down!!).....

Always handy having Big-blue-Steve on hand also....

XR started, and moving again....

Steve makes the hill look small... trust me, it wasn't!!

XR now up, we now had our own set of dramas getting the KLR up this snotty bastard!! Craig had been going well up until here, and you wouldn't think that he has been riding bikes for less than a year.....

Oops!!

Time to turn around and try it from the bottom, but not before a spectacular crash!! Craig face planted and slid for about five metres on the rocks Time to straighten some bits of KLR out....

All the way to the bottom for a flat-stick attempt....

Go go!!

Bugger!!

We ended up getting it going from here. Stuff going back to the bottom!!

Then I shot up....

Brad bringing the Mitsu up. Its easier when you can just stop and put the hand brake on half way up!!

The support team!! Brad and Nicole. They ended up helping with flats, picked up missing bits from bikes, supplied tools and helped drag bikes up and down the hills.....

Stephan's bike stopped halfway up this hill for some reason....

The problem is down here somewhere..... arghh!!

Funny that, the rotor doesn't go past the caliper when there is a HOOK caught around it and the spokes....

It was a little bit FREEZING in the morning!!

Until the sun came out.....

Most of the group left via Morouya, except for John, Peter, Troy and Myself. We went out on Dampier Mountain Fire Trail, and turned right onto Minuma Range Fire Trail. This took us a couple of hours to get back out to Merricumbene Fire Trail, but was WELL WORTH IT!! Thanks for the recommendation Dave.

I didn't get many photos because I was having so much fun. Some awesome hill climbs and descents that rivalled Merricumbene, fantastic views, beautiful creek crossings -- it had the lot!!

Brad stopped for some photos, so no bikes in these shots sorry!!

Troy and I left John and Pete once we met up with Merricumbene again. We shot ahead because we had to get all the way back to Sydney! "Shooting" ahead wasn't that easy though, with some of the steep, loose, rock-littered downhills offering a fair challenge!

We found some new tracks on the other side of Araluen Road, and again took the dirt all the way to Milton. Here we met up with Stephan and Craig (by chance) and we all slabbed it home.

It was a great weekend (again -- I don't think we ever have a not-great ADV weekend!! )

Cheers to all, it was great to catch up, and we'll organise another one again soon

Dan.

DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,396
Great report and pics guys, thanks...

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote