User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
Way cool...

I've lived in Nova Scotia all of my life. I love reading the ride reports of folks who travel through this beautiful province. It makes me appreciate where I live!

Thanks!

Definately Subscribed!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
YankeeLake
OldGuy

Oddometer: 19
Great trip report

Really liked your trip report. I also have an '06 625 SMC and have a couple of questions:

1. is that little, aluminum keg (on the back) your extra fuel?
2. what kind of tent did you use on this trip?
3. how did you manage with that mountain of stuff on the back?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #18
Jay
Redbear Rides

Oddometer: 159
Place Names Please

In case you want to check out the menu before you go.

Nice RR going here. So Mother Webb's is just 5 miles outside of Antigonish, where I grew up. It has been there forever!

I can recognize a lot of the places in the photos, because I am a born Bluenoser. But please add some place names for those who may be geographically challenged and who want to visit the wonderful province of NS.

Food suggestion: Scrap the fried food and start searching for the best seafood chowder you can find. It is all the same, and yet all different. Some versions will delight and some are ho-hum, but all are worth searching out.
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S Yellowbear
1981 Suzuki GS850G
1980 Honda XR500 Big Red
2001 F650GS Dakar w/ Ural - Fast Kitty (Wife's Bike! )
Member: CCBR, AMA, BMWMOA, NRA, CRPA, CCRKBA
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeLake
Really liked your trip report. I also have an '06 625 SMC and have a couple of questions:

1. is that little, aluminum keg (on the back) your extra fuel?
2. what kind of tent did you use on this trip?
3. how did you manage with that mountain of stuff on the back?
1. Yes, approximately 2.5 gallons, made by Tour Tank.

2. A cheap-ass Wally World tent...which I later realize is a big mistake!

3. It handled very well. I had no problems handing any of the pavement roads, or the light gravels roads we saw. I didn't even feel the additional weight compared to when I normally ride it w/o any luggage. The luggage-backrest was nice to have on some of the longer stretches of cruising type roads.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4!

Bras d'Or Lake, located in the center of Cape Breton Island, this huge lake has some very unique marine life as it is part fresh-water, and salt-water.

We were starved and lucky to find this little gem in the middle of nowhere.

We met some locals who were interested in our ride and wanted to give us a few pointers.

Interesting collection of books for sale outside. $1 each.

I spot a humming bird outside too. I haven't seen one so close before..

Better luck from inside.

The view from the Highland Village Museum in Iona, overlooking the Bras d'Or Lake. This is a living history museum where you explore Scottish heritage.

The village starts off with this very primitive home.

This one seems to be light years ahead of the first little home.

Old school sewing machine.

MMmmm....dinner.

Roast pork. Yummy.

She's showing off her advanced stove/heater compared to the other homes in the village.

No wonder my bikes been feeling so sluggish! That piggy is a lot heavier than it looks!

Piggy gets a lesson in Humility by DSH.

I love the smell of fresh baked bread.

Blacksmith shop

eSONG screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 05:21 PM
Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next stop, Baddeck! We're headed to the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site via Bras d'Or Lake Scenic Drive.

I should've checked the Go Pro for bugs on the lens area..

This area is very scenic...

...with nice winding roads...

...but on occasion, you've got to dodge a landmine or two.

With no other vehicles on the road...we had the entire road to ourselves to select the smoothest line.

There's a boat that takes you across to the other side for just a few bucks. I'd prefer a bridge that's available 24 hours a day.

Alexander Graham Bell Historic Site. I expected something bigger. We decided to pass on this one since we've seen a lot of his work in the Philly museums.

I need to recharge...

I read good things about this place and really wanted to try it, but it wasn't 4pm yet and we were trying to make it to Meat Cove by tonight.

Instead, we settle on this place.

Lobster sandwich and seafood chowder. Yummy..

Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #22
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

'nuff said.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #23
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Time for dinner. We head towards Neils Harbour's Chowder House. Supposedly serves the most authentic home-cooked clam or seafood chowder for under $4.

A simple operation where the focus is on the food. My kind of place.

Clam chowder was great.

We both ordered crab legs since they sold out of lobster.

By this time, it was starting to get dark and raining steadily. Our final stop for today would be Meat Cove campgrounds.

eSONG screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 05:04 AM
Old 09-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #24
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,296
Most excellent report and pics

Was the keg of fuel necessary or was it just for piece of mind?

'91 Vespa PX 200E "Lusso"
'05 KTM 640 ADV "Fatman"
'99 HD FLHRCI "Leviathan"
Laromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
Jay
Redbear Rides

Oddometer: 159
Alright, the boys are getting into the seafood chowder. The two shown so far look excellent.

Baddeck is my little patch of heaven in the summer - I wish I could afford to build a summer home on the 100 acres of trees I have on the mountain.

And you are making weak with envy - a KTM and a Ducati on the Cabot Trail. It doesn't get any better.
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S Yellowbear
1981 Suzuki GS850G
1980 Honda XR500 Big Red
2001 F650GS Dakar w/ Ural - Fast Kitty (Wife's Bike! )
Member: CCBR, AMA, BMWMOA, NRA, CRPA, CCRKBA
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #26
jasonG
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great pics!! This is nearly in my backyard (I'm in NB), almost ashamed to say I've never been to the Cabot Trail... Maybe next year...
jasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #27
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG

Instead, we settle on this place.

Lobster sandwich and seafood chowder. Yummy..

I've had that same meal, many times! Kudos to you for finding the "Good Places"!

Cheticamp is full of good places and you should be there soon. Try some Fricot, Potatoe Pancakes and something else Acadien...you'll be sure to love it..

C.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #28
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We arrive at Meat Cove.

....but not so nice when we arrived late this evening....imagine this setting dark, raining lightly, but the rain is coming down sideways from all the wind. There are wind gusts that are probably 30-40mph, and we can hear the surf crashing loudly against the rocks below us. Temps were in the mid 50s, so we weren't so feeling cold. These are definitely not the ideal conditions to camp along the edge of a windy cliff...but we're stubborn and have our minds set on camping for the night. No one else is there except one very comfortable looking RV...

A young man comes out of his office/house. I tell him we're looking to set up camp. He suggests a spot farthest from the edge and surrounded by some trees to help with the wind. We shrug off his suggestion and decide to go for the spot by the flag.
He has a look on his face that reads: Are you fools crazy? And then he asks again, "Are you guys sure?" I should've known then to take his advice, but being the stubborn fools we are, we said we're sure. He tells us there's one spot past the flag, but that's off limits during stormy weather like tonight... I think, "Hey, we're not *THAT* crazy..."

As we pay for the spot, he asks us if we have really good tents, saying we're going to need really good, strong tents to withstand the windy, rainy conditions tonight...and the temps were going to drop to about the mid 40s. I think to myself, "Uh oh..." and start to have concerns about my Wally World tent... I keep my poker face and just say, "yea, we'll be fine".

Setting up the tents....Oh my goodness, that was crazy with all the wind!! It seems the wind picked up since we first got there, and got stronger as we got closer to the edge aka, our campsite. lol.. The wind was so strong that I was afraid my tent was going to blow away if I didn't hold onto it with a deathgrip. Luckily, and rather strangely, a newly wed couple were taking a walk and saw us setting up the tents. They both thought we were insane and offerred a hand, which I accepted instantly! They helped anchor the tent down and put everything together. Thank God they were there to help!

Once we were finished setting up, DSH and I quickly retreated into our respective tents. A quick sigh of relief and then I started to organize my stuff to hopefully get some rest. I tightened the cover as tight as possible to keep it from billowing up as the wind blew. Regardless, the wind would get under it and blow up the canopy and felt like the tent would lift up and blow away if I weren't in it! Crazy shit for sure, and I know these $20 Wally World tents were never meant for these conditions!

I had to get some sleep so I put on 2 layers and then Aerostich windblocker and my hat and crawl into my down mummy sleeping bag, leaving only my nose and mouth exposed. About an hour or so later, I feel moisture on my nose so I reach out with my hands to feel moisture on my sleeping bag... Damn it. I moved the mattress and sleeping bag as close as I could to where the wind was coming in, hoping I would better avoid the water...wishful thinking, but better than nothing. Then I unpacked my rainsuit and put that on and crawled back into the sleeping bag. Man, that was uncomfortable... All I could do at that point was pray I would see morning....what a night. I swear, at the moment, if an REI rep was there selling $1000 super tents, I would've instantly said "SOLD!"

Somehow I managed to survive the night.. Woohoo! Day 5!

It's starting to warm up, and there's a nice breeze.

I'm sure DSH's Monster has seen more rain, mud, gravel, and general dual sporting conditions in the past few days than most other Ducati Monsters will see in their lifetimes, lol.

Sh!t, I left my gloves by the fire too long...

I sacrifice them to the fire and do a little fire dance for no more rain this week..

Woot! I survive Meat Cove!

Ok, now we're packed up and ready to roll... we're both starving too.

eSONG screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 05:23 PM
Old 09-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #29
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laromonster
Most excellent report and pics

Was the keg of fuel necessary or was it just for piece of mind?
Thanks!

The extra fuel was Absolutely Necessary. The oem tank is only 9 liters. I will hit reserve at about 80 miles. When I first bought this bike, it was such a chore looking for gas every 60-90 minutes...sometimes they're just not around, especially when exploring the backroads.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Nice job!!

the 625
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote