User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #31
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Day 5 continued...

We got back on the Cabot Trail and continued our way Westward.

This is one of my favorite pics from this trip:

Our next stop would be Pleasant Bay to check out some zodiac whale watching.

I'm told these suits are similar to those worn on shows like National Geographic's Deadliest Catch. Sweet...

Our zodiac... if you're prone to getting sea sick, these zodiac tours are much better than the full size boats.

It was a gorgeous day.

By the way, for every pic you see with a level horizon, I have probably a dozen lop sided ones! lol..

Cool...they were so close!

Good thing our suits are fully water proof!!!

eSONG screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 06:47 PM
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #32
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dinner time! We decide to go to the Rusty Anchor.

MMMmmmmm......fresh mussels.

...and Lobster Roll w/fries.

After a satisfying dinner, we continue on the Cabot Trail looking for a place to settle down for the night. We flip through our travel guide and choose the Corney Brook Campground.

Very cool beach.. This fresh water stream flowed into the ocean..

It's only been a few days we've been on the road...but it seems like the my daily routine is another world away. I could seriously do this for a long, long time...I could get used to this.

DSH spent quite a bit of time building this...

We were surprised to see this camper again...it was the same one we saw at Meat Cove, and then later at the whale watching parking lot, and now here.. We chatted with the foursome traveling by RV. They recognized our bikes from Meat Cove so they came over to say hello. They thought we were crazy for setting up tents at Meat Cove...lol. They invited us into their RV for some wine where we chatted for an hour or so. They were from Germany and were on a 3 week road trip which started in Montreal. Wow, now that's a roadtrip!

We didn't cover a lot of miles today, yet I feel thoroughly exhausted. We say goodnight and turn in for the evening.

Will post more later! Goodnight!

eSONG screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 07:51 PM
Old 09-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #33
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 411
Excellent pic's and report! We've a trip planned next week!

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #34
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Great ride report, we're leaving next Monday, September 14th from New Brunswick for the Cabot Trail and PEI. I'm on G650X-Country and my friend is on a Triumph America. Can't wait.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #35
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv
Excellent pic's and report! We've a trip planned next week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy
Great ride report, we're leaving next Monday, September 14th from New Brunswick for the Cabot Trail and PEI. I'm on G650X-Country and my friend is on a Triumph America. Can't wait.
GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #36
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6! Only a few days left...time flies when you're having fun.

Breakfast at Cheticamp.

CO-OP Artisanale Acadien

Smell of fresh bakery is intoxicating... rool:

I can't remember the name of this meat pie but it was very good. We both ordered on a local tour guide's personal recommendation we met on our way inside. She and her tour group was just leaving. Breakfast this morning was great.

Next stop, Les Trois Pignons Museum.

You can see the drastic improvement and history of Hooked Rugs here..

Some of them were very detailed...all hand made.

Very cool... must've taken 100s of hours.

A couple of angels we are...

We decided to see what else Cheticamp had to offer...

...and stumbled upon this:

This was an unplanned stop. I was hoping to pick up a cd of the coal miners' choir group. The group from the RV last night mentioned they went to the coal miners' concert during their NS tour and they all loved it. Everyone in the group were real coal miners. They sing the songs they used to sing to get through their day and other songs about coal mining. It sounded corny at first but they played us a sample and they were really good...and the lyrics are quite interesting/funny too.

Unfortunately, they didn't sell anything. This nice gentlemen explained that they considered opening a souvenier shop but reconsidered it since there is already another a shop down the street. They didn't want to "be in competition" with them. The reason definitely took me by suprise, coming from the states where competition thrives and drives others out of business w/o a moments thought... This line of thinking is probably based on NS's long history of CO-OP's. He suggested I try the shop down the street, but I decided to skip it hoping to just download it from itunes when I got back home. Unfortunately, itunes doesn't have it! Damnit. If anyone know where I can buy a copy, please let me know! Thanks!

This is cool little museum. It's free, or you can leave a donation.

Next, we continued south to check out North America's only single malt whisky producer. Glenora Distillery. Here we are rolling in.

It's a pretty small setup compared to the last distillery I visited, which was Buffalo Trace in Kentucky.

They had live music at the bar while we waited for our tour to start. Nice.

I was expecting something much bigger so this felt like we were chilling in someone's backyard or maybe a restaurant.

We killed some time taking random pics.

Our tour guide.

I wouldn't want to get stuck in there...

Tour guide tells us not to get too close and breathe in the fumes because he's had others in the past pass out and fall in! LOL...what a sight that would be.

where the magic happens..

Of course we get samples...

Their displays need some work.

We take a quick, short break after the tour before we hit the road..

Bye bye Glenora!

The NS natives say there are truly 2 seasons in Nova Scotia: Winter and Contruction. We did see quite a bit of it..

...but the construction doesn't last long. We say goodbye to Cape Breton Island and make our way south toward Guysborough.

And we decide to eat some dinner before we run out of choices... It was about 6pm. We learned from past experiences to not wait too long since restaurants don't stay open as late as many do in the US.

lol...I wonder how new members are initiated into this gang.

Dinner... mmm...

Tried their seafood chowder. It was OK. The ingredients were definitely very fresh, but flavor was not as strong as some others I tried.

The garlic bread was awesome.

My buddy ordered haddock. He described his order as comparable to a microwave dinner! lol.. It doesn't look *that* bad. But it looks a bit too healthy for roadtrip food. I'm happy I ordered pasta...it's hard to mess that up.

Anyway...we hit road again, looking for a place to stay. We decide to get a room for tonight. Last night was really cold in the tent...temps must have dropped to the mid/upper 30s. I started to get a runny nose today so I wanted to get a hot shower and get a good night's rest.

We took a quick break here to admire the sun set.. The pics don't do it justice.

We continued along the Eastern Shore until we found some lodging.. It started getting late and the temps really started to drop once the sun finally set. It took us quite awhile to find something too. There were plenty of campsites though.

We had a little setback when we came to one of those river crossing via ferry...but they were closed for the evening! This was a little past Goldboro. Arrgg..that's annoying. Build a bridge people! Anyway, we had to make a big detour to cross via land. A hour or two later, we found ourselves approaching Sherbrooke, and was hopeful to find a place since we were seeing quite a few lodging signs.

We check into St. Mary's River Lodge. It was a nice bed and breakfast place. They were nice enough to give us a small discount since it was late at night and we were planning to get an early start the next day. Everything was very clean.

What a long day....Good night.

eSONG screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 12:52 PM
Old 09-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #37
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7...!

I want to hit the snooze and sleep another 5 hours, but there's not time for slacking off. We got up and had a healthy breakfast, free courtesy of St. Mary's River Lodge.

Getting ready to ride...

Scenery is still impressive. The water look gorgeous. I want to buy a nice boat someday.

Next stop... Willy Krauch's smoke house. It has the reputation as having the best smoked fish in Nova Scotia. Pretty high honors for an area so rich in seafood. We weren't hungry yet but we decide to stop anyway.

She was so nice and answered all of our smoked-fish noob questions.

So much to choose from! I just want a little bite from each.

We finally decide...

Time to taste for ourselves.

WOW. That is some tender and juicy fish!!! I couldn't believe it. I'm not a big fan of fish, but this was really good.

Ok, we hit the road and push for Peggy's Cove today.

Next stop, LUNCH. We flew by this place, but we thought it'd be worth a U turn...I'm glad that we did.

It's a small cozy place. Everything is homemade. Perfect.

MMMmmmm......

Vegetarians are missing out on some great food.. I wish I had room for another one.

We hit the road again. Our next stop is the Citadel National Historic Site in Halifax. It's an 18th century fort situated in downtown Halifax. Very cool.

This place is HUGE.

Lots of interesting displays.

Trapped.

Hmm...I wonder what's down this way.

Don't you guys have some work to do?

Did I mention this place is HUGE???

Check out the rails to aim...nice.

About time you guys went to do something useful. A fort this big doesn't run itself! ^_^

Watch out for the flying arrow! It might push you over the edge.

Too warm for leathers today.

Very impressive collection of weapons...

.....next stop, dinner at Peggy's Cove!

We eventually settle on Fisherman's Corner based on some local's recommendation. We're told their fish and chips are the best.

I'm starved. Dinner is served. The batter on the fish was AWESOME. Super crunchy with very tender fish inside. All fish and chips should taste this amazing....Americans would eat a lot more fish and less beef.

Very generous portions of fresh, juice lobster... Yum.

BURRRP. That was tasty.

Very satisfied with dinner.

Peggy's Cove is next!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #38
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
What a great trip you guys are having - nice reporting.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #39
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 8....Our final day of the trip!

We tried to get an early start today. It's going to be a nice, long day of riding.

We decide to have breakfast at another local's recommendation: The Finer Diner. It's just a few minutes from the campground.

Our original plan was to continue along the shoreline towards Yarmouth and then north towards Digby, check out Brier Island, and then head west toward Truro. Since we're running short on time, we decide to skip these portions and head north (via backroads) toward Truro from the Peggy Cove area. We would continue on our preplanned route from there westward to Parrsboro and then up towards Amherst...and then highway slab it to Sackville...

Our first good look at the famous Bay of Fundy.

We headed to lonely planet's recommendation of the best place to watch the changing of the Bay of Fundy tides - Tidal Bore Road. I was suprised to see quite a few people just hanging out there watching the dried up bay. It's obvious these people had plenty of time to kill... I didn't even take a picture since it was pretty lame...like watching paint dry. lol.

So, we decide to head to Truro for a late lunch - Murphy's Fish and Chips. They had better be damn good to be better than what I had at Fisherman's Corner the other night.

World Famous....that's quite a statement.

MMmmm.....looks good so far.

I'd say it was good, but definitely not as good as last night. The fish was definitely very fresh....but that's the case with most seafood in this area! The batter was not as crunchy as Fisherman's Corner, but otherwise it was good. I wonder what makes them world famous. We had to ride through quite a bit of Truro traffic to get here...I wouldn't go through the trouble next time.

After lunch, we continued west until....Five Islands Provincial Park.

If you're looking for a campground, check out this place. Looks like a great spot with nice views. I would've stayed here if we weren't pushing for Sackville by tonight.

Not much of a beach though if your looking for a warm sandy beach to lay around on. The views are great though, and the water looking inviting.

We unexpectedly hit some AMAZING roads...they were as smooth as glass and no debris at all, no traffic, nothing...just us....except the occasional "attacking moose" sign. lol.

Miles and miles and miles.....it just kept on going! I couldn't get enough of it.

Our next break would be this nice little pier..

We're at a fork in the road...time to decide if we should take on the trails of Cape Chignecto Provincial Park. If we go left, we go through trails. If we go right, we take the asphalt detour around the Park. I was definitely up for the trails; DSH, not so much. The dirt path was promised to have some amazing views from the mountain side looking down on the Bay of Fundy. So, afte a quick chat, we decided we should at least check it out.

Starts off easy...

...but not for long. The rocks are starting to get bigger and bigger, but we continue pushing.

And then, it started to get really bad. The rocks were the starting to look like baseball / softball sizes...and some were bigger than that. We really started to slow down through these trails. We were only about 25% of the way through. DSH had a tough time with his Ducati Monster. We decide to turn around and head back for the road.

...we ride on through the night, and finally arrive at Sackville, NB around 10pm. By the time we finish loading the bikes into the trailer and change out into more comfortable clothes, it's close to 11pm. There's nothing else open at this hour so we stick to McDonald's.

After dinner, we took highway back through NB to Maine, and just followed the GPS back to NJ. We would take turns driving through the night and taking naps in the passenger seat. Many, many hours later...we finally find ourselves back in NJ. Bleh.

It's finally over. We're home.

Hope you all enjoyed my ride report! :)
Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #40
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
Saved thread......I finally finished reading

Sorry guys, for the late comment......but I really enjoyed your photos and commentary about your trip!

I really got a kick out of the post Meat Cove pics......I assume that is a salt spray build up on your bikes, due to the high winds that night?

Either you did some reseach, or made the right choices on the ride......
Niels Harbour Chowder....the best!!

Willy Krauchs smoked salmon...also the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you come this way again, I would HIGHLY recommend "The Salmon River Fishing Lodge", located in the middle of Cape Breton on the Margaree River! Great Food, scenery, lodging and hospitality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Salmon Fishing is optional!
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #41
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl Richard
I really got a kick out of the post Meat Cove pics......I assume that is a salt spray build up on your bikes, due to the high winds that night?
Nope. Just some light mud. The road to meat cove is a mostly dirt/gravel road. It was raining on our way in the night before...that was quite interesting.

Quote:
Either you did some reseach, or made the right choices on the ride......
Niels Harbour Chowder....the best!!
I think we used the Lonely Planet travel guide.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #42
toddbrule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Great Report

Great RR eSong thanks for sharing
The maritime provinces make for some great riding

Cheers

Todd
toddbrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #43
Fast914
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Great Report Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbrule
Great RR eSong thanks for sharing
The maritime provinces make for some great riding

Cheers

Todd
Hi Guys,

Thanks for such a great report. Almost everyone of your pictures were familiar territory...I live here in Dartmouth Nova Scotia but have family from Cheticamp and Margaree. Glad you had a good ride and visit too!

Makes me realize how lucky we are to live here! Lots of scenic places to ride, great parks etc.

Regard,

Grant
Fast914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 AM   #44
farleywilbur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thumb

Awesome report and I loved all the food pics. My wife and I got engaged out on Cape Breton so your pics brought back a lot of memories from 11 years ago. And my family has been eating Willy Krauch smoked salmon as long as I've been alive. They will ship it pretty much anywhere and I highly reccommend you order a side or two of non-sliced salmon. It freezes very well. Slice it up and eat it on a well toasted bagel with capers, cream cheese, dill, red onion, a squeeze of lemon and some fresh cracked pepper.

My favourite food on the planet.
farleywilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #45
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
fantastic!

A wonderful review and report....thx bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote