Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #46
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Fun story. I did a little double take at the first post since I grew up in Sackville...
jgbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #47
NovaTrophy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Nice ride report. Glad you guys had a good trip. I met you at the Highland Village as we were going in. Saw your bikes in the lot - don't see many KTMs and Ducatis travelling together.

Small world tidbit - the guy with the white moustache at the Village (picture on page 2), we talked with him and found out that he used to date the lady that owned our house in Halifax before us. They grew up in that area.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #48
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Brings back memories from August 09, when we spent 3 weeks in NS / PEI. Beautiful places, very friendly people.

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #49
Grizzler
Gas Passer For Hire

Oddometer: 90
Hey, great report!
Lived near Peggy's Cove and in Halifax for 11 years, back before I took up riding. Think about going back all the time on 2 wheels.
All that lobster and seafood... mmm

==Grizzler
Grizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #50
Cali Native
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Beautiful report very well done a real travelogue with an endless supply of interesting facts and cool places to eat. Did the bikes hold up ok?
Cali Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #51
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTrophy
Nice ride report. Glad you guys had a good trip. I met you at the Highland Village as we were going in. Saw your bikes in the lot - don't see many KTMs and Ducatis travelling together.

Small world tidbit - the guy with the white moustache at the Village (picture on page 2), we talked with him and found out that he used to date the lady that owned our house in Halifax before us. They grew up in that area.
Haha! Awesome! What a small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Native
Beautiful report very well done a real travelogue with an endless supply of interesting facts and cool places to eat. Did the bikes hold up ok?
Well...DSH had a little trouble with his shifter after our first night looking for a "stealth" camping spot and failing miserably. Otherwise, neither of us had any other mechanical issues.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #52
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Great! Gotta love the Maritimes. Looks like you boys had a blast
Good to see you learned your "humility lesson" with the tent on Meat Cove!
The Hero cam pics were great, can you decide when you take a photo, or is it just set to an automatic interval?

Good job reporting on the food! The delicious meat pie you had is a French-Canadian pork pie called Tourtière

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #53
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 638
Cool report.

Ya have me wondering if I should rethink my plan to dash to Newfoundland- maybe a more leisurely scoot around NS is in order until I can take more time....

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #54
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antontrax
Great! Gotta love the Maritimes. Looks like you boys had a blast
Good to see you learned your "humility lesson" with the tent on Meat Cove!
The Hero cam pics were great, can you decide when you take a photo, or is it just set to an automatic interval?

Good job reporting on the food! The delicious meat pie you had is a French-Canadian pork pie called Tourtière
OMFG, what a humility lesson indeed! Now, I've got the MSR Hubba Bubba 2 man tent.

The Hero cam has a "camera" mode where you can manually take pics, but I perfer to set it on auto interval shots and turn it on and off as needed while I'm still riding.

There are several modes available, and you can set one of them as the camera's default mode when you turn it on. I have it on auto interval photos. When I know there are some nice roads coming up, I just press the power to turn on, then the shutter button to activate the interval photo mode, shutter again to stop, and power to turn off. Or, it will shut off automatically too if I'm not taking pics. If I want to take video, I have to pull over so I can make sure I'm in the correct mode. BTW, video mode kills the batteries A LOT faster than the photos. Also, in the auto photo mode, there will be literally thousands of photos to go through, but I can browse through them quickly to pick out the ones I want and delete the rest so it's not a big deal.

The helmet cam allows automatic intervals of 3 seconds or 5 seconds, I think. I think the default interval is 5 seconds, but I found I missed a lot of good mid-turn shots, so I changed it to the shorter interval. On this setting, I can usually go through 2 sets of AA batteries before a 2 gb card fills up. I still have the original software, but I hear the new software updates allow use of 4gig cards.

Tourtière is awesome!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #55
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
Thanks!

The extra fuel was Absolutely Necessary. The oem tank is only 9 liters. I will hit reserve at about 80 miles. When I first bought this bike, it was such a chore looking for gas every 60-90 minutes...sometimes they're just not around, especially when exploring the backroads.
Great trip report.

KTM sells a 18 liter tank for the Supermoto. Did that not fit on the SMC? The regular Supermoto has a 12 liter tank, iirc.

http://www.ktmworld.com/ktm_parts_se...er=58407013400
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 AM   #56
battep
Perty

Oddometer: 91
Bloody excellent
Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #57
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Great trip report.

KTM sells a 18 liter tank for the Supermoto. Did that not fit on the SMC? The regular Supermoto has a 12 liter tank, iirc.

http://www.ktmworld.com/ktm_parts_se...er=58407013400
Yup, this was definitely an option I seriously considered. But for me, cost was a big factor. It would have been $350 for the new tank, but a new seat is also required, probably about $200 or so. Then add shipping and you're looking at easily $600. The tourtank option cost less than $200. IIRC I think it was closer to $150 total. Plus, I had the (lower) Corbin seat which I wanted/needed to keep since I'm about 5'6", not to mention the fact the Corbin seat was *SO* much more comfortable than the stock seat. Also, I didn't want to adjust the suspension for purposes of lowering the seat height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battep View Post
Bloody excellent
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #58
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,467
Must be something about Meat Cove and German tourist in rented RV's. I too met a couple last year at Meat Cove. BTW Meat Cove took a pounding in August of last year from a monster storm. Washed all the bridges out, isolated for several days.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #59
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
Must be something about Meat Cove and German tourist in rented RV's. I too met a couple last year at Meat Cove. BTW Meat Cove took a pounding in August of last year from a monster storm. Washed all the bridges out, isolated for several days.
Wow. What time of year was it?

I can still remember my stormy night there like it was yesterday...the rain fly blowing up like a kite from all the air it let in with every wind gust, being sprinkled with rain from the rain fly opening up, freezing my ass off in my cheap ass wally world $20 tent... What a night. I would've gladly paid $1000 if someone offered me a proper tent that night.

Scenery was great, but I wouldn't have enjoyed spending that much time there.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #60
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
Yup, this was definitely an option I seriously considered. But for me, cost was a big factor. It would have been $350 for the new tank, but a new seat is also required, probably about $200 or so. Then add shipping and you're looking at easily $600. The tourtank option cost less than $200. IIRC I think it was closer to $150 total. Plus, I had the (lower) Corbin seat which I wanted/needed to keep since I'm about 5'6", not to mention the fact the Corbin seat was *SO* much more comfortable than the stock seat. Also, I didn't want to adjust the suspension for purposes of lowering the seat height.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

I'm too busy to do much touring these days so I don't need the 18 liter tank but the LC4 Supermoto comes ready for that larger tank. I also use the KTM Comfort seat which has much more padding than the OEM torture rack that they call a 'seat'. I know the LC4 can tour but... I dunno, it's not in it's element as a touring bike afaiac.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is online now   Reply With Quote