User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
un_swe OP
Apc Commander

Oddometer: 136
Back to Bosnia

As i write this the ferry is leaving sweden and we are on our way.

un_swe screwed with this post 09-16-2009 at 12:48 PM
un_swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
un_swe OP
Apc Commander

090904 Friday
Worked until 1000 and then drove home and make a couple of things before it was time to strap the bags on the bike and run down to the south of Lund to meet Anders.
After a little bullshit we drove down to Trelleborg to take the ferry from there to Rostock, from the beginning the idea was that we would take the evening boat with departure 2230 but there were no available tickets so we took the 1630 with the arrival in Rostock 2100th Now we were not from the ferry until 2130
And it didnt take long before the rain clouds came together and decided to open up on us, on with the rain gear and move on, 0220, we took into the Hotel Belmondo in Leipzig to sleep there.

The bike ready to roll

Anders my co traveller

Waiting in the harbour

on the car deck

And something to eat and drink

A rough passage for some

And here i am ready to go

un_swe
Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
un_swe OP
Apc Commander

We arrived in Rostock around 2130, and it didnt take long before the rain started to fall. We pressed on down to Leipzig were we checked into the hotel Belmondo around 0220. After breakfast we started 0830 with our aim set on Bled in Slovenia, after an uneventful trip along the autobahn and through Austria and in to Slovenia by the Karawankeltunnel 7864 meters long we arrived in Bled around 1830. After a well deserved shower we treated us to a couple of local beers and enjoyed life for a while.
back in the room it was time to empty the cameras and get a good nights sleep before the coming days long transport on 1100km:s.

Breakfast at the Belmondo

Dinner at the autobahn

Entrance to the Karawankeltunnel that leads to Slovenia

Andreas hostel in Bled

Profile so far

un_swe

un_swe screwed with this post 09-17-2009 at 12:54 AM
Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
dolomiti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Can't wait to see more. 12 years since I was down there.
dolomiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
From Sweden to Bosnia.. This is going to be great

Old 09-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
un_swe OP
Apc Commander

Sunday day 3

0720 we started from Bled with the rising sun on our faces, this didnt last for long before a cold fog rolled in. After a quick breakfast at a gas station we moved on and the sun burned through the fog. A new thing my friend Anders are practicing is drive by photo on the run, an art he doesnt fully masters yet. if i hadnt been grayhaired already i would have been it by now, to watch him move around in the lane trying to get good pics in 120km/h + is something that make the cars and me equally nervous. Being behind him during these manouevers are a sight you will never forget. After Ljubljana we passed Zagreb on the highway this has to be one of the most boring stretches i have ever travelled. This continues all the way to Belgrade in serbia. When you arrive in Belgrade its like a wakeup call, everything from people on bicyles to families waiting for a ride on the exits on the freeway.
After Belgrade we continues toward Nis and later on to Kumanovo in Macedonia, there we located a motel named Milano2 that would be our home for the night. We are making an attempt to get the female receptionist to provide a road description for us that will take us back in direction to Kumanovo in the morning, she doesnt speak a word in english or german but happily continues to provide information speaking macedonian.
The rest of the evening is used for planning the coming day when we are going to visit the OP where Anders served in back in 93, after a good meal it was time to hit the sack.

un_swe

Andreas Hostel Bled

Breakfast

Belgrade

Macedonian border

Dinner time

yours truly

And the profile of the day

And thats all for tonight.

un_swe

un_swe screwed with this post 09-17-2009 at 01:20 AM
Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
un_swe OP
Apc Commander

Updated with profiles.

un_swe
Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb Information

Please, add as much information you can. There are almost no ride reports on Bosnia, and I would love to
add a good one to the ERRI. Ride carefully!

[TaSK]

(Jag har bott på skolgatan 44 i Malmø. Men jag har endast Rikssvenskan kvar)
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
un_swe OP
Apc Commander

090907 Monday

The alarm was set on 0700, but i was awake at 0530 and did feel rested, little did i know that i would meet the travelguide from hell this day. After breakfast we headed off to Kumanovo to find the main camp, and so we did. Anders wanted to get a pic in front of the gate but that wasnt possible, got to be real secrets they have in that army gate today . After that we headed in direction of OP S-5-1 that was manned by Swedish troops during 1993-1994, after Lipkovo the gravel started and the climb started after 2 hours we reached an old UN outpost that was manned by Macedonian border police now. We got invited for coffe and could stock up on our water supply. Our conversasion was on broken english and german and we could soon get a sitrep on the conditions of the roads in the area.
As they said some can be passed using a defender but the others are a no go. After the coffe was finished we thanked them for their hospitality and went up the mountain, after 30 minutes we reached the OP, but the fog was so dense that a view was impossible. The plan was to take a route that would lead us to Skopje and then to Ohrid. There are 4 tracks leading down from the mountain and in the fog we took the wrong one, the track got worse as we moved on and soon the mud and water stood 30-70cm deep. we continued forward thinking that it had to be better at some point, after 1500 meters we ended up in a dead end. Totally exhausted we took a 30 min break in the rain and fog to gather some strength before the attempt to get back up for the steep track. This was the start of a 6 hour long march from hell for us wresling with the fully loaded machines in the slippery mud trying to get up the track. As you can imagine a lot of strong language was used when we moved on a meter at a time. if you managed to get 5-10 meters up you had to rest for 5-10 minutes before you could continue. I have done a lot of things during my life both as a civilian and in the army during different tours abroad, and i have never been so tired in my life. Cases stuck in the sides of the tracks chassi got caught on stones and other objects hidden in the mud and water. At last we managed to get to firmer ground ant then we decided to go back to the starting point of the day, the Milano 2 motel, we was not fit to travel after the day that we had gone through. When we came back to the motel we had to take care of our gear and dry it up for the coming day. And one thing is sure the beers that we drank after all was taken care of had to be the best tasting beer i have tasted, and i someone wonder how long did we travel this day it was a total of 100km all included, the hell stretch was 1500m down and 1500 m up i know i was there

un_swe

Anders putting in a "snus" tobacco the first thing in morning.

Breakfast

My africa twin

Just a small appetizer....

In front of the Macedonian cp

The friendly borderguards

On the OP

Little did we know what was waiting on us.

dead end.........

One stuck africa twin

Tired as we never been

At last on firm ground

Beer is gooooooood

dinner time

And the profile of the day

And that all for tonight

un_swe
Old 09-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
. Great. But I don't understand why cooking, food is real cheap and usual pretty good.
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #11
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,359
You do have my attention. Bring it on!

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 AM   #12
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Old 09-18-2009, 04:58 AM   #13
un_swe OP
Apc Commander

The reason that we cock the most meals is that during the day we dont eat a large meal, instead just a quick snack. And often we arrive at camp fairly late, after 10-12 hours in the saddle.

un_swe
Old 09-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by un_swe
The reason that we cock the most meals is that during the day we dont eat a large meal, instead just a quick snack. And often we arrive at camp fairly late, after 10-12 hours in the saddle.

un_swe
That's the reason I don't cook (beside I don't like to carry pots and stove). I am to tired (to lazy) to cook after whole day ride, it's much easier (to me) to find a restaurant.
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 716