User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
KoyoteK OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Oly Loop, WA

Here's some pics from a ride I did with a buddy about a week ago. We left Olympia, Wa and rode up to Lake Cushman. From there we circled the Olympic Mountains counter clockwise. We followed dirt roads for most of it from www.griptwister.com . Man, it was awesome. The route was incredible as well. Miles and miles of dirt roads into the back country. It was 751 miles from Oly roundtrip. The bike held up awesome. The only thing I plan to do is get some panniers. Oh yeah, and a new ass. Is that seat filled with concrete?

I broke my ass on a Yamaha WR250r and my buddy on a BMW 800GS.

Taking off from Lake Cushman we hit our first climb up into the hills over looking the south end of the Hood Canal.

This was a couple hours later, on the east side of the mountians.

We passed a couple nasty washouts, most of them marked pretty well.

Yikes!

Nothing better than a bonfire in the middle of nowhere after a full day of riding with another couple days of riding ahead.

Somehow I forgot a cup. That means no coffee unless I get a cup somehow. Hey, that beercan looks like a good cup......

The next day was awesome. We rode up to Hurricane Ridge and found a little dirt road that dropped off the side. Ended up taking us back seven miles along the ridgeline. Unbelievable......

Sweeeeetttt!!!:

Chillin

Eventually the road ended and turned into a backpacking trail through a wilderness area the end of the road for us.

We head further west into miles of forest. Crossing over a pass we hit rain. My buddy on the BMW flips on his heated handgrips and ducks behind his windshield. I couldn't find the button for the heated handgrips, or the one for the windshield. Damn its cold when you ride wet!

Eventually we found a place to camp and build a bonfire. Man a wet sleeping bag sure is cold. The beast slept next to the fire

Day three we head out to the coast, check out the Hoh Rainforest and then had back up into the hills above Lake Quinalt. Followed a road back into an amazing rainforest. Flying through the woods at sunset was one of those amazing moments. I said to my friend its like what I imagine doing heroin and skiing through four foot powder must feel like (not that I've done heroin!).

We come out to an incredible river valley and set up camp.

An awesome night of camping out under the stars other than some cougar who woke us in the middle of the night nearby. We woke to fog which burned off.

Another day of riding till we hit the mother of all washouts.

We backtrack and find out way up to Lake Kachess for lunch. Just enough time to vow to return and explore it (next week if all goes as planned).

We head for home and get back dirty, smelly, and damn happy.

Ride on!
KoyoteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
RSL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,315
Damn good!

Got GPS coordinates or other route specifics?

What maps do you recommend for this route? Other such routes in the region?

What's the ideal bike for this?

Did you take fishing gear?
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL
Damn good!

Got GPS coordinates or other route specifics?

What maps do you recommend for this route? Other such routes in the region?

What's the ideal bike for this?

Did you take fishing gear?
You can find the route we did at the Griptwister website. There you can order the cd for your GPS that will have all the waypoints and possible camping sites with descriptions in it. They update it every year too which is awesome! I would recommend bringing another map along with however as we were wishing we did for the bigger picture. Also the most picturesque spot by far was around Hurricane ridge area.

The route can be done with most bikes. There are many variations to the route as well. If you want harder, more technical trails you can do that. The guide will say no bigger bikes on this trail.

For the most part we stayed away from the more technical trails as there seemed to be a lot of washouts on those. The kind of washout that if you drop your bike you won't be getting it back again ever as it will be at the bottom of a 1000 foot drop. My 800 was a beast sometimes for sure definately in the loose, steep gravel trails.

Next time I am taking fishing gear. But to be honest we had little time for fishing. We were on the bikes for 8-9 hours a day. We covered 800 miles or so of backcountry trails in 3 1/2 days which is a lot. We barely had time to make camp, fire, and dinner etc before nightfall on most days. I think fishing gear is great if your staying at a lake and exploring from there. We were not sure where our camp was going to be every night..... we winged it and started looking for places to sleep when we started getting tired.

a great experience and really for me was what dual sport riding is all about! Loved the feeling of knowing you have several more days of riding ahead of you. I really looked forward to getting back on the bike every morning. Great fun.

Edit: in the pic of the lake above it was not Kacheese lake but Lake Wynochee
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,058
Gorgeous ride!! Thanks for the beautiful pics
Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Our video.....

Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Some more pics....

Old 09-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 09-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

I have to say we got into the true meaning and spirit of adventure riding with dual sport bikes. We had really nice twisty pavement roads, nice graded gravel logging roads, poor 4 x 4 trails, and single track. The majority was gravel logging roads which suited us both fine. The bikes did great. We carried extra fuel with and the Yamaha needed it about 4 times and the BMW never needed it. Longest stretch between fuel was about 130 miles or so unless you got lost then all bets are off.

My bike (800) handled well with full gear on board even in the tight twisty stuff I was really impressed with the 800 and its ability to demand its presence on the road regardless of conditions. The only times I really struggled was the really slow technical stuff or the steep loose gravel that the rear end was having difficulty holding to anything. The Yamaha weakness seemed to be its lack of ability to carry everything on board for our extended trip in the backcountry. We carried food, fuel, clothes, tent, bags, etc for 4 days in the backcountry without re-supply. The BMW got loaded up with a lot of that......

The experience was a great learning trip as well as really connecting with the environment and natural surroundings around us that for whatever reason we block out of our daily lives. The constant dirt and grime from the dusty logging roads became a part of us. When we did make it back to civilization we felt out of place.

It was a great trip!