Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 288
Me and the mrs will be back in your neck of the woods this 24-26 while we provision up for our run south before the wet starts(??). My kt is currently in storeage up there and will need some coaxing to bring her back into life after a 3 month rest!!

I won't say lets meet up, as I have been down that track both in Brisbane, while visiting on a recce trip, and also in Perth while working out there.....and guess wot?

No-one cares.

I would like to live in the territory, Darwin is nice, but the humidity of the wet would do me in!!!

I will however follow your posts as I am well familiar with your region after 2 trips thru there( I will come back one day with my DR and go for an extended wee poddle around Arnham land)....enjoy yourselves!!

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #17
Huskygoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Ok I'm coming, just gotta get the cob webs out of the Husky

Huskygoat
Huskygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #18
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
I'll try to get there, sounds like a good ride.

Where's the meeting place, on the Stuart somewhere? I'm sure I would have seen it before but the name/s don't ring any bells.
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #19
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 412
^^^^ the road which goes out to mandorah and dundee beach (?) pretty close to darwin, really.....

I've been wondering about a shortcut from Daly River to the Victoria Hwy.....might have to buy some more detailed maps....hmmmm

Apparently Darwin Motorcycle Club (DMCC) meets-up at Noonamah on sunday mornings....anybody know more??

*rambling finishes*
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #20
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowster

I've been wanting to do the Surprise Falls rd for some time....

I will keep an eye out for the details of this track....its our first diversion from tar as we head south.....26th September ( ooops!!)

Hope its good.....and the rain stays away another 2 weeks!!!

Have a good 1

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................

Ducatijim screwed with this post 09-09-2009 at 03:26 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #21
Huskygoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
There is two DMCC in Darwin . The Enduro club who run Kamfari and Thumpers . And the Harley guys . The Free Sprit is a good spot to meet which is the BP at the 11 mile .
Huskygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #22
Mowster
Stressed Member

^^^^
my boss hangs with the Enduro club, and he's usually battered and bruised after a weekend with them...

LC8TY; i might interested in your acerbis tank from project TTR....my own little TTR project is gonna kick-off......
Old 09-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #23
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
No worries Mowster

Its only been used once and in perfect cond except for a bit of dirt on it.

PM me when you want it mate.
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #24
Crom-o
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
G'day Mater,

I'm down near Alice Springs, but I've recently found this thread you might be interested in:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503334
APC Rally 2011 RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726485
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:24 AM   #25
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Sandy Creek map

I've had a bit of a go at getting a map together. Bit rough but demonstrates the basic route. The dirt starts off the Mandorah Rd and goes back to bitumen about 10 km before the Wangi Falls turn off. There's a shop at Wangi and its probably worth a stop there as it is at the Finness River bridge, very shady.
The dirt starts again at the turnoff near Tollner. About 7k from Wangi. There's a creek crossing about 4-5k along this road. Blithe is about 2-3 km in off the Daly road, Sandy Creek is about 5 k in but is about a 15-20min walk into the falls from the carpark. Nice camping area with showers and toilets.
Surprise falls is similar to Sandy Creek off the main road and a short walk to the falls.

After you leave Surprise Falls there's various terrain to cross, much of it dry black soil plain.

Back in the late 70's and 80's I did a lot of pig shooting in this area. Yer I'm a real old bastard!

Great country and lots to see. It will be rideable until Xmas I'd expect, unless there's an exceptionally early wet.

The Freespirit is the BP Service Station at the last set of traffic lights before Palmerston.

Great to see some serious interest.

Has anyone riden to Pocox ? Now that's a good weekend ride....

TopEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #26
Mowster
Stressed Member

Nice one

Pocox??? *googles furiously*

LC8TY; I'll look to visiting your way in the coming weeks...before the wet season really kicks-off.......

Mowster screwed with this post 09-11-2009 at 12:01 PM
Mowster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #27
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Great, thats just the loop we are doing as we leave Darwin on the 26 Sept. Will keep a keen eye out for your comments on it guys!!
Anyone care to share some local knowledge with us? After this loop, we are headed out to Jabiru etc, don't want to go all the way north to Wishart and the Arnhem Hiway.
My information shows 2 ways to go east from the Stuart and connect with the Arnhem;

1) Marrakai Rd, thru Marrakai crossing, and-

2) Ringwood Rd, which comes out near Mt Bundy.

Does anyone have info they would share with me on the likely state( and even existence!) of these tracks?
Thanks.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #28
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim
Great, thats just the loop we are doing as we leave Darwin on the 26 Sept. Will keep a keen eye out for your comments on it guys!!
Anyone care to share some local knowledge with us? After this loop, we are headed out to Jabiru etc, don't want to go all the way north to Wishart and the Arnhem Hiway.
My information shows 2 ways to go east from the Stuart and connect with the Arnhem;

1) Marrakai Rd, thru Marrakai crossing, and-

2) Ringwood Rd, which comes out near Mt Bundy.

Does anyone have info they would share with me on the likely state( and even existence!) of these tracks?
Thanks.
Hi Jim

I was down on the Marrakai road a few weeks ago. Its a good well maintained unsealed road and runs from the Stuart Hwy just before Batchelor through to the Arnhem Hwy about 10k before the Mary River. If you wish to get to Jabiru I'd suggest you turnoff the Arnhem Hwy just after the Bark Hut on the right and head down the old Jim Jim Road. This was the only road to Jabiru and Arnhemland in the 60's and early 70's. It crosses the South Aligator River about 80-90k down.

Just before you cross the river on the Darwin side (you might see the turnoff on the otherside of the river in the first photo I've posted) you'll see a track heading north along the bank. This follows the river a fair way and passes a lot of billabongs one in particular is Red Lilly Billabong. It comes out eventually on the Arnhen Hwy about 20k before the South Alligator Motor Inn. I think its about 90-100k of good off-road riding and is quite dry at present. I haven't driven it for about 20yrs but a mate drove about 6 weeks back and said it was fine.

Happy trails ...!

TopEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #29
Mowster
Stressed Member

^^^^^

Hmmmmm....i better have a look at that........the start from old jim jim road looked a little adventurous
Old 09-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #30
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Thanks 4 that Top End, just the sort of info I was hoping for

Me and a m8, on 2 DR650s did Old JJ rd about 16 months back now, and enjoyed it, looks like a re-visit is on the cards eh!!

Cheers for that. j