Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #46
farawayman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowster
BUMP !
....for (topender)Mark's ride next weekend!

; sure will need to include swimming on the agenda!
Why, has it warmed up up there yet?

Sylvia wants to know

If I'm in here, I'm suffering from PMS
(Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)
farawayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #47
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 412
You know it's hot when you have to carry more water than fuel.......
Old 10-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #48
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 288
Our top end adventure went swimmingly thanks guys for your helpful imput!

In the Alice last few days done rides out and around both sets of Maccas and its a paradise for riding round here. A bit cooler too!

Happy to return the favours if any yous ever jump the puddle, just look me up

Jamie.

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #49
Skidder
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Introducing

Three and a half years since I was here (this web site) last. Thought I should say hello. I'm in Palmerston and I've settled since my last adventure. The Mrs is always up for a tour though, and we're forever looking after folks through horizonsunlimited.com.
Nice to read about so many folks with wonder lust.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #50
Huskygoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
"skidder" is a bit like "slippy" Are you coming on this ride ???? any Husky demo's in the shop ?????

Huskygoat
Huskygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #51
Skidder
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ride

Got to get my XR up to scratch and registered, wanna fix it for me? Well over due...
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #52
Huskygoat
Adventurer

Same Same I need blinkers and rego aswell . I know a quad shop but they won't touch bikes .. if its welding I can do it I should have said if I can't weld it I cant fix it.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #53
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I arrived back from Bali Monday and have just caught up on all the online gossip. I thought I'd repeat the details so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Sunday 11th October

Meet at the Free Spirit / BP Palms, whatever its called now, at 8am for caffine

Head down to Litchfield NP via the Mandoora / Dundee Rd into Litchfield

Turnoff between Wangi and Tolmer Falls onto the Surprise Falls/Daly River Rd

Onto Blithe Homestead and Sandy Crek Falls

Lunch at Surprise Falls and a swim

Onto Daly Rd Back to Adelaide River via the old Stuart Hwy possibly stopping at Robin Falls if there's water there.

Hot debrief at the 303 bar in Adelaide River

Home

I haven't done a head count yet. I look forward to formally catching up and meeting everyone.

Cheers

TopEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #54
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Have a good one fellers.

Don't wait for me as I can't be there, but keen to meet up in the near future.
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #55
Huskygoat
Adventurer

Sorry guys just got told I have to work on Sunday Morning ...... just got the mirrors on and blinkers on, battery on charge. WTF

Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 AM   #56
Damo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hi All, just found this thread thanks to kezzajohnson. I've got a DR650 that I got in June and have already managed to put 4500km on that I've been mad keen riding around the top end. I live in Darwin.

Did the back road from Litchfield where it cuts down through dirt, bout 60kms, to the Daly River Road, then back along the back road to pine creek, nice ride, and a good mix of terrain for the DR650, but the trailwings make you hold nice and tight on some of the dirt. Nice bendy flowing roads too. Some really great viewing spots too, with the hills, if you can climb some of the steep hills around the Daly River Road/Pine Creek back road. Great place for a breather and a look at the scenery.

Down in Victoria at the moment so unfortuantly can't get on the ride tomorrow, but back in a weeks time. I'll be moving to the east coast mid November once I've finished up some lose ends in Darwin.

Have freighted all my stuff back, so am taking the opportunity to ride the dr650 from Darwin to Carins along the Savannah way, then down the east coast.

If anyone from Darwin wants to do the trip one way with me (i wont be comming back) leaving about Nov 11th from Darwin, that would be great. Probablly going to take 4/5 days, and might have a mate with a Hilux, who by coincidence is moving to Carins at the same time.

Hopefully the wet wont have wound up too much by then, and even so, make for a more interesting trip with some thunderstorms lighting the night up.

Looking forward to the next local ride in the mean time!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #57
Crom-o
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
Any one interested in reading about my w-end: Binns track from Plenty Hwy to Ross River via Arltunga, and back via Cattle Water Pass, have a look at this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post11099082

APC Rally 2011 RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726485
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 AM   #58
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom-o
Any one interested in reading about my w-end: Binns track from Plenty Hwy to Ross River via Arltunga, and back via Cattle Water Pass, have a look at this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post11099082

Hey thanks Crom-o, Good read. I'll have to put that on the "things to do list". I want to ride down for the Fink next year so let me know if you register and I'll catch up. I almost made it this year but work commitments got in the way.....Priorities TopEnd ...Priorities!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #59
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride report

We had our planned run down through Litchfield on the weekend and as requested by Farawayman heres a bit of a ride report. First for me Iím afraid so if I rabbit on too much just tell me to shut up. Works for the missus!

Well the morning started early. It was to be an 8am meet at the Freespirit Resort about 10km out of Darwin. I rocked up and there were around 25 bikes lines up. After assessing the number and patting myself on the back for a well organised event it dawned on me that just maybe the Harleys and Goldwings may not be going with us.......The local Ulysses club meet very Sunday at the same time and this particular weekend were heading down to Wangi Falls in Litchfield National Park, about 10k from our turnoff onto the Daly River connection road. More about that in a minute.

Through the wall of crome and leather I could make out two riders standing next to their bikes, obviously sporting higher centres of gravity. No leather, lace and studs just dirt riding gear, goggles, and that look of ďlonerĒ that Clint Eastwood used to have in his westerns. I could almost hear the music and see the short cigar, half smoked hanging from their lips. Arrrr....there we are !

I fueled up and wandered over and introduced myself. It was quite easy as it ended up, cos I new Kezza (KezzaJohnson) from his web site www.TerritoryOn2Wheels.com.au and Livit who I happened to meet about 4 years back and whoís F650Gs is very recognisable and i see around town all the time.

Things were looking good.

While undertaking customery greetings and general banter about bikes Mowster turned up. I managed to meet him when Fareawayman was in town on his round Australia trip.

So the scene was set !

Livit suggested that the old railway line was a good way to go. Nothing like designing the route on the run. It just adds that little bit extra to the trip. I hadnít been along the old rail line before but a mate had said that you could take a corolla along it 5 years ago. I donít think the corolla would go too well these days along sections of the track. Back in the 90ís the old rail line ran from Larrimah to Darwin. I remember the noise of the train coming through at 11am every day. Itís final run was in 78 or 79. The new line is about 2-3km to the east of the old in this area. The track, sleepers, and much of the balast has now been removed. Thereís no longer a need to maintain the line so as far as we are concerned it becomes more appealing every year.

The rail line managed to keep us off the Stuart Hwy altogether and placed us right on the doorstep to Litchfield National Park. Iím sure we ended up in front of the Ulysses crew that left 20min before us. There was a bit of a run from there on Bitumen to the Tolmer turnoff. The photo below is taken at the start of the dirt again befor the first creek crossing.

The remainder to come tomorrow or Wednesday.....and my photo's do get better...not much but better.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #60
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 412
nice one mark

sure was a great ride

thanks for sharing some local knowledge, and stu "livit" + kerry "kezza" likewise

all the others subscribing to this thread are encouraged to watch this space for future rides

when the wet season finally hits, it could be funny to see us all out in the mud !?............just sayin'........

owen