User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #61
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,242
Good one Guys

Likewise-Mowster, Livit and Top-end. 4 x 650s, 4 ADV riders, 380kms of beaut country, and what I hope is the start of many more future dual sport rides with hopefully more riders. It was a good start though, so lets keep the contact going. I had a ball and I will have a ride report on my website http:www.territoryon2wheels.com.au once I've sifted through the footage. Great report so far Mark (Top end) and I look forward to the rest of it. I am thinking of changing my username to 'clint'.
See you on the next one boys. I am on call this weekend 17/18 October so out of action-damn.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #62
Crom-o
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
Sounds like you guys had a good ride, I guess I did as well, it just would have been a lot easier without the missus on the back. I'm sure I got the bike to use as a way of getting away from her?????

Pitty about the 1500km trip for me to get to your meeting spot, otherwise I'd be keen to come out. I'm still trying to find like minded people down this way, but they all seem to be more into Motorcross on skinny little bikes with tiny little tanks.

My old boss said to me when I mentioned I want to do a run down to Finke, Oh you'll have to get someone to take some fuel down to Deep Well so you can make the distance, I then laughed and said "Your bike 8lts of fuel, my bike 28lts of fuel. I might need them there on the way back!" Mind you I do have to give him some cred as he has finish the Race the last two years.
APC Rally 2011 RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726485
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #63
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowster
stu "livit"
Hey Mowster, Next time you see livit, say g'day from "Paul that owned the Red Laverda and moved south" for me. If it's who I think it is, I worked with him on occasion at METAL. Last I heard he was buying an F650 Dakar (quite a few years back) so there can't be that many F650 riding blokes named "Stu" in Darwin
Keep the photos coming. I am spewing I didn't get in to Adventure riding while I was still in Darwin.
Paul.
prestonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #64
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 426
Stu McLean??

He gave me the number for "Andy" at METAL....i should do one of their courses......

Stu gives the 650GS a hammering for sure

He'll be back to this thread before too long!

Reply here if you want me to PM his contact details.....
Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #65
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowster
Stu McLean??

He gave me the number for "Andy" at METAL....i should do one of their courses......

Stu gives the 650GS a hammering for sure

He'll be back to this thread before too long!

Reply here if you want me to PM his contact details.....
Thats him, couldn't for the life of me remember his surname. Funny guy, not afraid to have a go at anything. Ill never forget watching him ride around Hidden valley on one of the METAL instructor bikes using a couple of bits of rope with what I think were the roman rings from his kid's swing set tied to them as reins
Don't worry about contact details, no doubt Ill catch up with him on here at some stage.
Paul.
prestonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #66
farawayman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopEnd
The remainder to come tomorrow or Wednesday.....and my photo's do get better...not much but better.
Hi Mark Great stuff, but where's the rest of the pictures? Looks like you have started something up there and found a few riding buddies to boot.
Is it warm enough for the pool yet? Cold and wet down here, cant say I like it.
I am just going to have to lash out on one of those sexfiftys. Cant have you blokes having all the fun. Do you reckon I could sneak one into the garage without Sylvia noticing? Now finish the ride report and don't forget the pictures.

If I'm in here, I'm suffering from PMS
(Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)
farawayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #67
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Well I got caught up doing the thing that pays for the fuel on weekends unfortunately but all is back in order now and here’s part 2.

The first creek off the main Litchfield Road is Tolner. Kezza said that this had about 300-500mm of water across it a few weeks back. He’s got some good video footage on his web page. The following map shows the Tolner Creek along the Litchfield to Daly connecting road. Southern Access Track.

The creek was dry when we crossed and more recent changes to its alignment and lining makes it very low risk. The lining is now 100-150mm rock which has bedded very well under traffic and is quite stable and void of sharp edges and points.

We crossed the creek and proceeded along the track over the numerous scalloped speed humps. The humps were about 50m apart and had various shapes providing some unexpected challenges from time to time and exceptional exercise for the thigh muscles. I certainly felt sore on Monday morning when I got up and I think it can be solely attributed to these devices.

The dust started to pickup at this point. The main track is mainly lateritic gravel with outcrops of coffee rock but it broke into deposits of black soil, a very light clay that’s much the same as bull dust when its dry, and lenses of sand. It was only a short trip to the Sandy Creek Falls turn off, which I managed to miss, and then onto the first creek crossing on the Reynolds River.

The crossing requires you to go down a fairly steep incline through the first water hole then chuck a right hand turn travel along the creek bed to the main creek then up the exit incline. I came through at the tail end and only the of a car tyre protruding out of the first water hole. The water had been disturbed by the guys before me so I kept my fingers crossed that the tyre was buried in the creek bed and not sitting full depth. I was ok, only a couple hundred mm’s deep with a firm bottom of sand.

The second crossing was a bit different. 300-500mm deep still with a firm base but flowing crystal clear water. A good fun crossing. As I pulled out I spied Kezza up on the bank with the helmet cam. Video of this crossing is already on his web site, I’m looking forward to seeing the more recent footage from our trip.

The track continued to the next reach of the Reynolds River. This crossing was fairly straight forward. Down across and out with a few hundred mm’s of water across it.

After the second Reynolds reach we got into some serious sand. I certainly found it very hairy at times. It was the nice hot dry course river sand that when you don’t have adequate speed just takes over the steering for you. We weathered the remainder of the road and all made it to surprise falls.

On the approach to Surprise Falls we had a kindred spirit come up behind us on a Honda. Not an ADV member but certainly a keen hard riding offroader.

It was time for a swim so we all wandered up to the falls.

The photo I’ve included wasn’t taken last weekend but you can get the idea about how nice this location is. The water cascades down the rocks into a bowl then overflows into the billabong at the bottom before exiting via Surprise Creek. We swam in the bowl. Stripping down out of the riding gear the comment was made that there seemed to be some small similarities to a swimming scene in “Wild Hogs”.

We hung around for about an hour before heading back onto the track. Not far to the bitumen from there. More sand and lots more dust.

The bitumen road back to Adelaide River township and the 303 Bar was about 80km. A nice run through pictures’ hills with waves of hot air pumping off the seal.

It was a pleasant break to have a cold beer at the bar.

From Adelaide River we headed back onto the old rail line track, now known as Coach Road. This took us back to Bachelor, the entry to Litchfield National Park where I parted company with Stu, Owen and Kezza to go pick my daughter up on the Stuart Hwy. The guys headed back onto the old rail line behind Darwin River Dam again and back home.

Total distance was 380kms. We left town at about 8.30am and I arrived home at 5pm.

This is an absolutely magic ride and I’m sure we’d all recommend it to anyone that’s up here on holidays. There are numerous camping locations along the track so you don’t need to do it all in one day. At Sandy Creek there’s toilets and showers so the Hilton camper may find some respite should they choose to be a little more adventurous.

TopEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:48 AM   #68
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farawayman
Hi Mark Great stuff, but where's the rest of the pictures? Looks like you have started something up there and found a few riding buddies to boot.
Is it warm enough for the pool yet? Cold and wet down here, cant say I like it.
I am just going to have to lash out on one of those sexfiftys. Cant have you blokes having all the fun. Do you reckon I could sneak one into the garage without Sylvia noticing? Now finish the ride report and don't forget the pictures.
There you go Dave...done.

You buy a sixfiddy and Sylvia will want one too....You had better make sure there's room for two in the garage mate.

Take care.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #69
kezzajohnson
kezza

Litchy

Awesome stuff Mark- Great ride report and photos to boot. Do you mind if I borrow some of your photos to add to my ride report on my website ?
I have added video (which didn't really turn out as well I wanted however it does back up some of your report)and my own version of events to my site now but will also add some more photos and map from your if that's Ok.
Here: http://www.territoryon2wheels.com.au/rides.php
Moto GP at Phillip Island this weekend. I have a 50 inch plasma if anyones interested in coming around to my joint on Sunday for as a few beers and a giggle. I'm on call so homebound. Send me an e-mail kezzajohnson@territoryon2wheels.com.au and I'll give you the address.
Cheers Kezza

Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #70
greenant NT
n00b

Oddometer: 5
NT members

G'day all Nters! just had a thought today, i should start up an adventure riders club in Darwin to see if there are others out there thinking the same as me..so I tap Nt Ad Riders and presto there already is one, good to be a part of it only just joined, but am keen to do some good rides around the place with others.. Cheers..
greenant NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #71
kezzajohnson
kezza

Welcome Greenant

Good to hear from you. As you can see by the posts, this thread is only pretty new, thanks to Mark (topend) for getting the ball rolling. Following that, we had a small gathering on sunday 11 october and did a ride to Litchy. see topend's ride report in ADVrider NT regional forum and also have a look at my website http://www.territoryon2wheels.com.au rides page for my report with photos and video of the ride also. Stay in touch, we will trying to squeeze in another ride before the wet hits, possibly to west alligator heads in Kakadu NP with support vehicle if we can get the numbers. Feel free to have any input, the more the merrier. A quick easy way to the Local threads is through my website rides page where I have a Banner for ADVrider which directly links the our regional forum withour having to sift your way through the threads.
Catch you soon.
Kezzajohnson

Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #72
greenant NT
n00b

Oddometer: 5
thanx Kezza, i have to get my shit together and start organizing some gear, now that i have found my brotherhood, i am as keen aqs mustard to get out there and have a beer with u boys..
greenant NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #73
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson
Moto GP at Phillip Island this weekend. I have a 50 inch plasma if anyones interested in coming around to my joint on Sunday for as a few beers and a giggle. I'm on call so homebound. Send me an e-mail kezzajohnson@territoryon2wheels.com.au and I'll give you the address.
Cheers Kezza
Dang I woulda enjoyed that, but as Mark said, I was busy earning to pay for more bike stuff... (would you believe i signed for a new BMW K1300R this week; the accelleration on it is violent )

And my dear mother is coming up from SYD this weekend, but if the ride to West Alligator is the following weekend; I'M IN
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #74
TopEnd
Gnarly Adventurer

Guys,

The weekend of 31st Oct/1st Nov suits me as well. Going to Bali on the 6th Nov.

The area is still maintained and controlled by regular Kakadu Park ranger patrols so no problems with rescues if we happen to have a breakdown. I've got a 4x4 too and if I had to go fetch it and run back in to pick up a bike there's no problem.

cheers

TopEnd screwed with this post 10-21-2009 at 01:06 AM
Old 10-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #75
livit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Pococks Beach

Hi Guys
Great to hear another ride is coming together. My only drama is work. I have a ship due on Fri 30th, which would tie me up for a few days. In saying that I have found shipping to be the most unreliable game around and things may change and often do. It usually takes 7 days to get here from Singapore so I should know early next week if it left on time. Rough seas or bad weather can push arrival times back. If that w/e suits the majority I reckon you should go for it anyway and I'll make it if I can.
I am a member of the Trailer Boat Club and we could meet afterwork one day next week to work out a plan over a coldie if you like, or somewhere else that may be more central.

Do I owe a carton for my first post?

LIVIT
livit is offline   Reply With Quote