Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #61
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy
Great addition Brent I talked to Kim briefly when she was leaving camp the next morning. She was heading down to the hot springs and then leaving the area. Two women camping by themselves in the middle of know where....pretty rare indead. Alan figured that no women would camp by themselves this far from anywhere unless they were up to something, he figured they had to be murderers

Yeah Kevin moving his tent was a classic, I made sure and point out the large cat tracks to him that we found about 1/2 mile up from camp the next day on the hiking trail. Funny Stuff.

I'll let you describe Perry's entrance to camp.

Hodakaguy

You guys just aren't hanging out with the right kind of women

I was on my way home from a solo dirt riding trip in Washington and I was looking for a spot to camp up in the Lakes Basin area of the Sierra. I ran across a woman that had been camping solo there for 4 days. She had the best spot and I wanted it. We chatted until she pulled out and then I had the spot all to myself Being alone is quite therapeutic sometimes.

Great report, too! I just spent a week up in that area over Labor Day. The whole area from French Glen to south of Denio (and beyond!) is a ton o' fun on a motorcycle

Keep those photos coming!

WoodsChick

Old 09-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #62
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick

You guys just aren't hanging out with the right kind of women

I was on my way home from a solo dirt riding trip in Washington and I was looking for a spot to camp up in the Lakes Basin area of the Sierra. I ran across a woman that had been camping solo there for 4 days. She had the best spot and I wanted it. We chatted until she pulled out and then I had the spot all to myself Being alone is quite therapeutic sometimes.

Great report, too! I just spent a week up in that area over Labor Day. The whole area from French Glen to south of Denio (and beyond!) is a ton o' fun on a motorcycle

Keep those photos coming!

WoodsChick

Very cool! Any pictures from your trips? I love south eastern OR, Soooo much stuff to explore down that way.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #63
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Very cool! Any pictures from your trips? I love south eastern OR, Soooo much stuff to explore down that way.

Hodakaguy
Yeah, here's the ride report from the trip 4 months ago...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469796

I gotta get going on a ride report from last week's trip now.

The wide open spaces in that corner of the country are truly liberating

WoodsChick

Old 09-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #64
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Yeah, here's the ride report from the trip 4 months ago...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469796

I gotta get going on a ride report from last week's trip now.

The wide open spaces in that corner of the country are truly liberating

WoodsChick
Come on girl, don't be holding out on us!!! I haven't seen any posts from you over on BDS for a while either. Did we offend you???? I doubt it, you're pretty tough!

Hijack over! Sorry Tom, on with the show!!!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #65
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
Come on girl, don't be holding out on us!!! I haven't seen any posts from you over on BDS for a while either. Did we offend you???? I doubt it, you're pretty tough!

Hijack over! Sorry Tom, on with the show!!!
Offend me? Are you serious?? That's pretty funny, Taco

I'll try to put something together this weekend. I still haven't done a report on my dirtriding trip to WA or the weekend in the rocks at Downieville. I'm lagging...

So Hodakaguy, when do we get the rest of the story and photos here, hmm??

WoodsChick

Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #66
Hodakaguy OP

9-1-09

Had a great nights sleep thanks to the hot springs. The weather is great, sun is shining.....time to have some more fun

Getting up and around. The Steens are absolutely beautiful this morning.

Another shot of the tree.

Taken from Camp looking up into the Steens.

Craig getting in some maint before the days ride. We were carrying pre-oiled filter skins with us, here Craig is changing out a skin. They worked great, ride all day and change the filter skin in the evening or am, the filter itself looked just like new under the skin. Way better than carrying a ton of filters with you. 6 skins take up very little room.

Breakfast. A couple packs of instant oatmeal, hot chocolate and some peach ice tea. Mmmmmmm. This is the first trip that I've tried out my new bowl and cup. They are called squishy bowls (purchased at REI) and they are made from high temp food grade silicone. They worked great and I could stuff them in the cook pot to reduce space, to clean them just turn them inside out.

Craig isn't a breakfast eater so instead of watching us all eat breakfast he headed down to the lake bed to have some fun. We would eat breakfast and then catch up with him on the lake bed.

Here's a vid of this mornings fun out on the Playa:

Perry took this great shot of his WR out on the Playa

We were keeping our eye out for Craig but hadn't seen him yet. Slowly everyone made it out to the playa and we all rode around a bit trying to link up with Craig. After a while we couldn't find him and had no idea where to start looking so we decided to head twards the fruit orchard and then onto the first mine of the day. As we were heading across the lake bed Craig appeared on the horizon and we were all linked up again. The lake bed is HUGE and spotting a person on the lake bed is very hard.

So with that we were off to see the Orchard that the miners had planted. The orchard was were Clair was camped and she had given us permission to invade her camp today to check it out

The Orchard. The trees are watered from pipes that bring spring water down to them. Pretty cool for being up in the mountains. I bet not many miners had their own fruit orchards out here.

Fresh peaches anyone?

Located at the bottom of the orchard is a electrical outlet sticking out of the ground They must have had a generator up here for something....be interesting to know the story behind this.

After checking out the orchard we headed up into the Steens to look at a couple abandoned mines.

On the way up to the first mine we come across the old miners cabin. It's in worse shape than the last time I was up here. It's now missing a couple walls. We all stop to check it out.

Checkin it out. I'm always fascinated on how people built these structures and how they lived out here. It's now the haunta virus hotel.

Other side of the cabin.

A couple hundred feet from the cabin is whats left of a smelting furnace. The mine is located directly above this furnace further up on the hill side.

A little further up the mine and you come to the first mine. Great view of the playa in the background.

The first mine, locals have told me that this was a cinnabar mine. They would mine Cinnabar and then smelter it to get mercury. The TOPO maps show the name of this mine as the Western Quartz Mine....Hmmmmm. Apparently two brothers ran this mine and lived in the cabin down below.

The main audit at the bottom of the mine is caved, last time I was here you could almost squeeze into a corner of the audit...now it's completely covered from land slides.

There is a steel cable left of the audit that runs from the top of this mine down to where the mine audit used to be (It may have went further down the hill to the smelter at the cabin, I'm not sure), at one time it was a aerial tram but now the cable just lays on the ground (You can still see the remains of the tram tower). The cable makes an excellent climbing aid now. Next to the cable is a set of wooden narrow train tracks that run up the steep hill, at the top of the tracks an old vehicle wheel is mounted as a pulley. It looks like they would haul ore up out of a vertical shaft above the audit then place the ore in a ore cart on the tracks or a bucket in the aerial tram. I would love to see some pictures of this mine when it was in operation, it must have been a hard life out here.

There is a small home made ore cart in the hole thats about 15 feet off the ground.

Here's a picture of the home made ore cart. It's made from a old wagon and has two bars that can be used as hand holds. It's now embedded into the rock from land slides.

Perry and Brent ascending the hill over the mine.

Here's part of the tram cart assy thats still laying on the hill side under the cable. You can see the two pulleys that rode on the cable, I'm not sure what kind of bucket they had attached to it.

Close to the top. On the very right side/middle of the picture you can see the miners cabin, further down the hill and on the right you can see the green trees in the canyon, thats where the orchard is and where Clair is camped.

Here's the pulley assy located over the top of the wooden rail lines....no it doesn't turn, I tried

The wooden rail lines. I'd like to see the cart assy they used on these tracks.

Brent....King Of The Mine Hill. You can see the upper anchor point for the aerial tram cable on the big rock behind Brent.

Hodakaguy posing for a picture at the upper shaft. Nice view of the Alvord in the background.

Brent standing next to the shaft. You can just see the lifting arm in the left side of the picture. It's a wooden beam that can pivot on the bottom. It's supported by three cables and has a pulley out on an arm, the assy was used to lift ore buckets out of the shaft. The last time I was here it was still standing, it's almost collapsed now.

Inside the upper shaft. You can see a home brew ladder down in the hole. Can you say dry rot.

Back down the hillside we went and back on the bikes. From here we continued up the hill to the next mine, which is several miles up the mine road from here. The road gets a lot worse from this point so Brent opted to head back down to the miners cabin and wait for us, the rest of us continued on up the hill.

The bikes parked at the second mine. This mine isn't listed on the TOPO maps so I'm not sure what it was named or who it was owned/ran by, maybe the same miners as the last mine?

In I went, Perry and Alan are close behind. There is a door on this mine but no lock. (I will make a disclaimer here, Mines are very dangerous places and it's best to stay clear of them. That being said we decided to enter and check it out....proceed with caution if you enter!)

Alan checking it out. This is the shaft that veers to the left of the entrance.

To the right of the entrance is this shaft. There is a pit that's about 7-8ft deep with a board running across it. We decide to skip crossing the plank.

Here are some holes that were drilled for charges but never used. I checked the holes to see if any explosives were still in them but they were empty....good.

Here I'm posing for a picture in one of the shafts. I wonder what it was like working on this mine up here, it had to be a LOT of work to dig out these shafts with primitive tools.

This is a drift in the left tunnel that follows a vein of ore.

There were a couple of Frogs in this mine, they were quite a ways up on the walls of the mine. Weird.

Here I've exited the mine and Kevin and Alen are getting ready to come out.

Alan emerging from the audit.

After we were all out of the mine we scaled around on the hillside a bit looking for mine relics to check out. Just on the next hillside over there was this rock wall. It was shaped in a square on the side of a hill, someone took a lot of time to build this. Was this part of a old cabin? Who knows.

There was a little overhang about 100 feet below the rock wall that is pictured above. Someone had built a small rock wall at the entrance of this overhang also....wind break????

The remains of the smelting unit. There were quite a few metal pieces scattered down the canyon with the mine tailings.

After we finished checking out this mine we headed back down to link back up with Brent. He was waiting for us at the miners cabin down below. We all decided that we should head back to camp and get something to eat so we headed back down the road to camp.

Rest of the day coming soon.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 10-15-2009 at 03:09 AM
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #67
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #68
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
Two thumbs up and I'll raise you one!

WoodsChick

Old 09-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #69
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 528
great report keep it coming.
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #70
Hodakaguy OP

Continued from above.

After arriving back at camp Perry, Kevin, Craig and Myself decided to run the 30 miles to Fields and get another hamburger and another milk shake. Yummmmm. I also filled up again since we were here. 125 miles - 3.2 gal. 739 miles total - 37.9 hrs on bike.

After we ate Craig headed back to camp to rest and the rest of us decided to check out Borax hot springs that is located not to far outside of Fields. Located right before the hot springs is a large area where they used to use 20 mule teams to mine borax for soap. You can still see the open pits and the white power where they used to mine the borax. A few pieces of rusty equipment is still there as well. None of us managed to get pictures of the borax mine

Borax hot pools. As you drive up to the hot pool area on the dirt rode there's a gate you have to drive through, on the gate is a sign warning of the extremely hot temperatures of the pools located here. The sign also says not to drink the water here, it contains 25 times the allowable level of arsenic. YIKES..

The Stealth DRZ parked next to the Borax Hot Springs.

The Borax hot springs are true Yellowstone quality pools, Beautiful.

Another Pool.

One more. There were quite a few more pools here and if you keep going all the way out to the end there is one pool that is soakable.

Perry ready to roll. We left the Borax hot spring area and headed across the desert to get back to the gravel road, then it was back to camp to rest. I was super hot and couldn't wait to get back to camp and cool down in the stream.

Once back at camp we all sat in our chairs, soaked our feet in the stream and drank something cool.

After sitting in the creek for a while and cooling down it was time to go explore again. I asked "who is up for a hike in their sandles?". Everyone but Perry was in for the hike so off we went. There is a really nice hiking trail right above our camp what works it's way back up into the Steen's.

Heading up into the Steen's.

Just above camp. There is a hole in the rock that you can see all the way through, in two places! Very cool. This is also where we found some large cat tracks on the hiking trail.

Closeup of the hole in the rock. On the way down I noticed there is a hiking trail that goes up to the hole, but we were already back down the mountain at that point and we didn't feel like going back up. I'll have to check it out the next time I come through this area.

Along the hiking trail you come across a little wooden shack built into the side of a rock wall. I'm not sure exactly what it was used for but I think it may have been a powder shack for a mine that is right up the trail. Here Brent pops into the shack for a pic.

If you look back down the canyon at this point you can see the Mine that is located here. You can just see it off to the right. It's a lot harder to spot while hiking up the canyon, only the tailings on the hillside give it away.

Zoomed in a little in this shot, it's easier to see the mine. I entered this mine a few years back and checked it out. There are two shafts in the mine, one runs about 150 feet strait in and one branches off to the left about 50 feet in and runs for about 50 feet itself. In the back of the branch shaft are two winze's, strait vertical shafts that disappear into the abyss. Extreme caution is required around these shafts. The entrance of this mine isn't in hard rock like the other two we visited earlier in the day, it's soft dirt for the first 15 feet or so and is shored up with old rotten timbers. It's a collapse waiting to happen.

Because of the greater risk involved with this mine we decided to skip exploring this one. I won't enter this one again.

Very cool rock formation along the trail on the other side of the canyon. You can see how the magma was flowing when it cooled and came to a stop.

Further up the canyon. Another amazing view to add to the collection. I'd like to come back to the Steen's on a hiking trip some time. Fun Stuff

After checking out the hiking trail we headed back down to camp. By this time I was ready to head to the lake bed and relax in the Alvord Hot Spring again. Craig and I decided to head to the Playa and do a little more riding before dark, then head to the hot springs.

We soaked for quite a while at the springs and met a few people that stopped by while we were there. One couple on a older XR250 and a XT225 showed up to do a little maint on the pools. We started talking to them and found that they were from Pendleton OR, only a 45 minute drive from where we live. Howdy Neighbors.

The rest of the group finally showed up to soak and relax for the night, I finally started getting tired and decided to call it a night so I headed back to camp. Craig followed suit and the rest stayed for a little while longer to soak.

It was a great day of riding and exploring, there is so much to explore and check out down here.

Hodakaguy.....More to come.

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 10-15-2009 at 03:18 AM
Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #71
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:

So Hodakaguy, when do we get the rest of the story and photos here, hmm??
WoodsChick
I remember reading that thread, I'd like to do a similar route down there hitting hot springs ect. Great RR! I love that area, one of my favorites!!! Thanks for sharing.

Hodakaguy
Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #72
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Laugh

Very nice!
Enjoying all the details!
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #73
mamacone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Doing great Tom, glad you are staying home and working on the RR. Headed out for an over night ride in the white pass area. You know me I will take at least one picture a day.
mamacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #74
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacone
Doing great Tom, glad you are staying home and working on the RR. Headed out for an over night ride in the white pass area. You know me I will take at least one picture a day.

Actually We're on the road right now (typed from my Iphone), we are heading to a antique airshow/fly-in today. Should be a lot of fun. Worked on the RR last night, I'll do some more when we get back.

Have fun on the ride, I need to get some maint done on my bike, then I'll be ready to go again.

Hodakaguy
Old 09-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #75
FOCKER
Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
You guys are really pushing the bobble head.
FOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote