B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
wes Im watching this closely Ive been wanting a fairing for awhile
Old 09-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #17
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Watching this one closely, will be interesting to see what you come up with. Do you happen to know how much the 950 headlight weighs?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
I will have on of these BRPs one day soon. nice work...

Old 09-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Watching this one closely, will be interesting to see what you come up with. Do you happen to know how much the 950 headlight weighs?
I could go and weigh my old stock light if there is real interest, cant be much its all plastic...

edit: went out and weighed it, 114.4 oz... ounces... that is 7 pounds, dang that's more than i would have thought...

edit agan: damn postal scale...Picked it up to put it back in the box and thought this thing can't weigh more than 3 lbs. Weighed it again with my digtal fish scale and it said 1.9 pounds, that sounds more like it.

Dusty screwed with this post 09-08-2009 at 04:30 PM
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #20
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley J
For the low low price of $1500? Sounds like I need to go to the bank of Jim.

His fairing is what sent me down this road.
Wesley, the price of the Fairing is $ 700.00. That is fairing, steering head mounting bracket and support that goes from steering head to backside of fairing.

You already have the KTM headlight and tank.

BTW, I'm NOT a salesman for Kens fairing. I have two young sons and don't have unlimited time I can spend in the garage.

Jim
Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #21
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,840
Kenaroo et al...

Cleaned up your head explosion to the Head Explody forum.. you have a problem with Wesley, PM him directly, and keep it civil on this forum.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #22
GB
Mod Squad

Kenaroo,

I've asked you already to keep it civil and deal with the OP through PM, but you insist on doing it here.. Cleaned it up again and will be giving you a vacation from this site for a few days.

I don't see anyone stealing from anyone.. the fairing design looks like it's from the KTM racing team..

At any rate, even if it's a direct copy of your design, without patents there's nothing you can do about it, and nothing we can do to protect "your" design.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,155
Now, On with the show!

BTW, Can you make this so it can be duplicated in my garage with a drill motor, dremel and an assortment of hammers?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #24
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
the fairing design looks like it's from the KTM racing team..
Do you all have a magic monitor that can look into the future? All I'm seeing is a stock KTM Adventure headlight sitting on a fender and an aluminum block bolted to the steering head.

That being said, I think the 950/990 headlight and windshield would be a great starting point for a custom fairing. The Euro version light is supposed to be very good, especially with a H3/H7 HID conversion kit fitted.

Here it is with the stock on a Superenduro:

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Do you all have a magic monitor that can look into the future? All I'm seeing is a stock KTM Adventure headlight sitting on a fender and an aluminum block bolted to the steering head.
Well, you know what I mean, it looks like one of those Dakar racing bikes, be it KTM or anyone else, they all stack it the same way.. this design uses a KTM headlight and I don't see it as "stolen" from anyone on this site.

Continue
Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #26
chip
Follow Me

Oddometer: 1,763
Just signed on. This looks serious.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #27
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Hey Guys,

First, my apologies for the tone this thread has taken. Kinda like in my post about painting, I like to share my work so others can benefit.

I've read a lot of good posts here on work that others have done and hope some of you can take some of my learnings and build your own stuff.

Anyway, Spent a bunch of time on associated stuff such as new LED signals, flasher and Ricky rectifier tonight. I need to get some lighter material for the fairing, after only a few brake lines the last attempt was stupid strong. No need for that.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 AM   #28
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
I very much appreciate the sharing of information on this site and I am happy to see that it will continue in this thread.

I used thin aluminum(1/8 inch I think) for my battery box and it was seriously strong, I'm sure you could go very thin with it and still make it hold up. Especially if any stiffening ribs/bracing is added. I'd guess maybe 1/16 for a start?
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #29
Wesley J OP
Hoser

I think 18 gauge should do the trick. 16 was too strong. With a brake lines and some bead rolled it'd better suited for a set of Panniers.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #30
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Quote:
I just got that. Thats f-ing funny

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W