ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #631
Cheap Ryder
Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer: 549
Marysville stop

I live about 15 miles from marysville and will be around monday evening. I have Wi Fi at my house but am in the middle of a crazy work thing. Also if anyone is interested J N Roberts lives within about 15 miles of marysville and probably would enjoy a early evening visit. He is the guy who won the first baja 1000 teaming with malcom smith and was in the movie "Dust to Glory". Also within 20 miles is Bobs grocery and gas at lincoln rd and montana ave. and next door is the grubstake resaurant with full bar. This may be old news but never hurts to reiterate.
Cheap Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #632
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains45
Bitterroot Brewery is on Marcus (traffic light in the middle of town) just east of Hwy 93, good food too.
There is a brewery in Stevensville (Blacksmith) that has some top notch brews I would put up against any. Might want to go there and get a couple of growlers to take back to your room.
The Bitter Root Brewing place won out, 'cause it is within walking distance of the hotel. Their IPA was OK, their Single Hop IPA was nice... and unfortunately their Imperial IPA won't be getting tapped until their current rotating tap runs out (so drink up you FFs). Their buffalo burger with sweet potato fries is Had the Stevensville IPA at another bar in Hamilton, and found it to be too malty for my tastes...
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #633
JeffD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar
The Bitter Root Brewing place won out, 'cause it is within walking distance of the hotel. Their IPA was OK, their Single Hop IPA was nice... and unfortunately their Imperial IPA won't be getting tapped until their current rotating tap runs out (so drink up you FFs). Their buffalo burger with sweet potato fries is Had the Stevensville IPA at another bar in Hamilton, and found it to be too malty for my tastes...
Try one of thier Heffy's mmmm
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #634
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,927
....And they're off!

Rode down to Darby with Mrs Shady this morning to meet with some of the guys as they prepared to leave town on the MT 1000. The crew was busily straightening up after Logger Days festival last night (wild time) and the ADV crowd gathered up in the field where West Fest will take place next week.

All kinds of bikes from little to big, minimal to luxurious, everyone was all smiles too.

Tyll hopped up on a log and proceeded with the riders meeting and the rules for the ride: There are no rules. Except don't get eaten by bears and don't camp with more than 20 guys in one spot.

And off they went!

Lotta fun, and folks were there from many states, one of the guys was from Florida who rode his ST1100 pulling a trailer with his dirt bike on it (can't remember his name at the moment).

Good times!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #635
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,929
Detour to Helena

I biffed it pretty spectacularly at around waypoint GM96 or so... went into a steep and loose downhill a little too fast, and suddenly found myself going up the embankment Some of you can probably see what happened next... I ran out of momentum and toppled right, back on to the road. The bike came down after me, doing a 270 and the rear wheel came to rest on my back

Fortunately, I am completely uninjured -- not even a bruise -- but the bike suffered a fair bit of cosmetic damage: both front blinkers, both mirrors, bent Madstad bracket, severely dented Jesse bag, and a bent Jesse rack. I limped on to Marysville, but didn't see anyone there, so I headed out to Helena to effect repairs.

The good folks at Montana Fabricating let me use their tools when I didn't have something, and were able to bend my rack back into place with a small application of heat. Rock Hand Hardware happened to have all the necessary bolts I needed to reattach things. I fixed up the blinkers with electrical tape, and the left mirror is cracked but usable. The right mirror broke off completely at the mount, and that unfortunately is also part of the front master cylinder and brake fluid reservoir, so I will have to replace the entire thing and bleed the front brakes. There is a Suzuki dealer in Helena, and they open tomorrow at 10, so hopefully they will have the part. If not, I will go to Butte or Bozeman. If things go well, I will try and rejoin the group at camp tomorrow evening, to complete the rest of the ride.

huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #636
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,288
Huzar, glad you didn't get hurt. Enjoy the rest of the event.

I'm waiting no so patiently for pictures. . . . . .
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #637
rallen
"Lost with a Purpose"

Oddometer: 237
Next Year???

Just got back from the MT 1000 yesterday.

Awesome

Good riding, good crowd, had a fantastic trip-

I know it's kind of early, but anybody have plans for doing it again next year?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #638
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 456
Marcin,

Glad you crashed well, and were unhurt - able to continue. I enjoyed meeting, dining and drinking with you. Until we ride again,

take care......

Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar
I biffed it pretty spectacularly at around waypoint GM96 or so... went into a steep and loose downhill a little too fast, and suddenly found myself going up the embankment Some of you can probably see what happened next... I ran out of momentum and toppled right, back on to the road. The bike came down after me, doing a 270 and the rear wheel came to rest on my back

Fortunately, I am completely uninjured -- not even a bruise -- but the bike suffered a fair bit of cosmetic damage: both front blinkers, both mirrors, bent Madstad bracket, severely dented Jesse bag, and a bent Jesse rack. I limped on to Marysville, but didn't see anyone there, so I headed out to Helena to effect repairs.

The good folks at Montana Fabricating let me use their tools when I didn't have something, and were able to bend my rack back into place with a small application of heat. Rock Hand Hardware happened to have all the necessary bolts I needed to reattach things. I fixed up the blinkers with electrical tape, and the left mirror is cracked but usable. The right mirror broke off completely at the mount, and that unfortunately is also part of the front master cylinder and brake fluid reservoir, so I will have to replace the entire thing and bleed the front brakes. There is a Suzuki dealer in Helena, and they open tomorrow at 10, so hopefully they will have the part. If not, I will go to Butte or Bozeman. If things go well, I will try and rejoin the group at camp tomorrow evening, to complete the rest of the ride.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #639
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 456
Great Route - thanks MoondogMT and crew-zers

That was a great ride on an excellent route - thanks to all who pre-ran all the sections and alternates, and many thanks again to MoondogMT for coordinating all the data. I'd go back..... hell - I already did.

Sincerely,

Stovebolt
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #640
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 438
Awesome time all! I had a fantastic time, met some great folks, and enjoyed every minute. Made it home safely after hooking up with Mrs. Stinky on the way. Many thanks to everyone who had a hand in putting this together to let us "furreners" enjoy your fine state. A special thanks to RudyS2 (hope I've got the handle right) for meeting us with cookies and drinks on day two. That was a big old dose of Montana hospitality, and way beyond the call of duty!

Forrest- I know you were disappointed my final drive didn't burst into flames, but maybe next year!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #641
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
It was an awesome ride. Huzar ended up riding on day 3 I believe with the group I was in (Dennis from Powell River, BC on an '08 KLR with 124k on it, Chris from S. Cal on a KLR, Todd from Meridian, ID on a KTM 990 that liked sleeping, and me on my BMW F650GS) . We had awesome camping, nice fires, great riding, and lots of cool stories to go into the ride report.

Someone asked my about my battery powered CPAP machine. If you are reading this, could you PM me for details.

Again, PUTTS and crew did an awesome and hard to beat job.

Timmer
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #642
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,068
MT1000 pic's

I just dumped the pic's from camera to my smugmug account and can be seen here:

http://jonz.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/...48502728_iHm9a

Is there going to be a ride report or picture thread somewhere else? Seems like the new picture heading under ride reports might be a logical place to put it. Or if there is not going to be another thread, I'll link some photos to this thread later.

edit: here's the best photo of the batch

I biffed pretty good on the last day. For those wondering, xrays on the shoulder today were negative. Next up, MRI. The examiner suspects rotator cuff injury/tear
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217

jonz screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 07:40 PM
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #643
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

I'm going to do a personal ride report with pics and a link to my pictures on Smugmug.

I do like the idea of a new thread devoted to pictures and / or links.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #644
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Teachable moment

I would like to thank all those responsible organizing such a great event and those great folks who participated. But, if you want it to continue, we need to protect our access to ride on public land. The two issues that offend the public most and erode support for riding on public lands are off-trail riding and noise. So, for those with noisy bikes, it isn't cute or cool. Nobody goes into the wild to hear noisy machines. Likewise hillclimbing on grassy slopes (yep I saw it) or riding off-trail is unethical, unnecessary and unlawful. Most folks are already onboard but let's all help instead of fueling the outrage driving new rules, restrictions and closures.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #645
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

As I was entering a restaurant in LOLO, MT on my ride home, a fellow patron said, "I like how loud your motorcycle is." He was cynically comparing the whisper quiet of the BMW F650 to the loud V-Twins that roared by. I thanked him for the compliment. Yes, the public does care about noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzo
I would like to thank all those responsible organizing such a great event and those great folks who participated. But, if you want it to continue, we need to protect our access to ride on public land. The two issues that offend the public most and erode support for riding on public lands are off-trail riding and noise. So, for those with noisy bikes, it isn't cute or cool. Nobody goes into the wild to hear noisy machines. Likewise hillclimbing on grassy slopes (yep I saw it) or riding off-trail is unethical, unnecessary and unlawful. Most folks are already onboard but let's all help instead of fueling the outrage driving new rules, restrictions and closures.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100