User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #16
Joe Watson OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
ate year="2009" day="9" month="9">09/09/09ate>
Finished fitting the bash plate today because the spacers finally arrived. All fitted up fine, no problems with the installation. Looks fantastic but I would prefer it to come up higher at the front, but I guess it is only designed to protect the lower stuff, not keep the higher stuff clean.

Started on the pannier racks also. Lined up the panniers to check for mounting positioning and played with a few positions. I want to keep the in line or forward of the rear axle for proper weight distribution. After a lot of mucking around and finding a good position and figuring out how to fabricate the racks I set about modifying my old DR650 racks. They are the right shape for the R-Jays panniers I have and are not all that far off the general mounting points of the DL so it should not be too much work.

I should be finishing them off tomorrow night, so I will take some more pics and finish up the details of the racks then.

Joe Watson screwed with this post 10-20-2009 at 04:36 AM
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #17
Groomspa
Cheerful traveller

Oddometer: 281
Great build

Love what you have done so far. The bash plate looks soooo much better than my Motec one. Looking forward to seeing more and going for a ride of course.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,520
Nice skid plate, I think there is someone that makes a shift lever that eliminates all that linkage.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 AM   #19
sckoby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
All looks fancy, I am still trying to get my head around the fact that you bought a Vee Strom, But hey, what ever floats you boat I guess.
sckoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #20
Joe Watson OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomspa
Love what you have done so far. The bash plate looks soooo much better than my Motec one. Looking forward to seeing more and going for a ride of course.
Thanks Graeme, it is getting there, still got a little way to go yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckoby
All looks fancy, I am still trying to get my head around the fact that you bought a Vee Strom, But hey, what ever floats you boat I guess.
Doug, I am still getting my head around getting a Strom as well mate don't you worry! But still, it is going to do all that I want it to do and comfortably, so all will be well.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:37 AM   #21
Joe Watson OP
Beastly Adventurer

ate year="2009" day="10" month="9">10/09/09ate>
I continued on with the pannier racks tonight and pretty well got them finished. I guess you could call them a labour of love because they took me many many hours. It would have been much much quicker to have made them from scratch, oh well, you live and learn. All set in place on the new brackets, I welded them up nicely, then spend a good amount of time on the grinder to clean them up and get rid of any sharp angles and dirty welds. Finished up by painting them matt black.

Whilst doing the work on the pannier racks, I removed the lower exhaust cover because it was well and truly faded like an old car bumper. I painted it up matt black also and it turned out great, really freshening up the bike.

ate year="2009" day="11" month="9">11/09/09ate>
This afternoon I fitted the fitted up the pannier racks, re-connected the battery and put the bike back together. They turned out great and are sitting perfectly. So no money spend on materials, only a butt load of time. Love it.

Right hand front mounting bracket.

Left hand front mounting bracket

Rear cross mounting

All lined up ready for welding

Lower exhaust cover all painted up

All tacked and ready for removal and full welding.

The piece de resistance, ready for full welding.

Painting

new paint on lower exhaust cover

right side

left side

rear view

all finished

looking more adventurish.

yup

cool

Joe Watson screwed with this post 10-20-2009 at 04:39 AM
Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 AM   #22
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,261
Nice work Joe! Bet you can't wait to get out for an overnighter (or two, or three.)

Have you thought about crash bars? What about dropping the forks and fitting heavier oil to increase the dampening on the front for off road? Or does it have adjustable dampening on the forks?

Something to watch out for as well with the barkbuster, if you drop it, and the barkbuster rotates, is it going to damage the brake reservoir or line? Just something to be mindful of when fitting the mounting point near the brake line.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
You don't mess around! Great work.
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #24
Joe Watson OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah mate, heading out for an overnighter tonight to test things out, then I am heading west next weekend. Crash bars will definitely be my next mod, it is far too bare and open in that area and will be nice to have the protection.

I am looking into raising the bike at the moment, there are apparently some raising links for the rear and I can drop the forks down in the clamp some too. Some report getting around a 40mm raise right across the bash plate, so that would be good. I will be taking it to MPE suspension and getting them to check it out to see what they can do for me first.

Thanks for the warning about the barkbusters, They are mounted over the brake line, so if they do rotate in a drop, they will be clear of the line already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo
Nice work Joe! Bet you can't wait to get out for an overnighter (or two, or three.)

Have you thought about crash bars? What about dropping the forks and fitting heavier oil to increase the dampening on the front for off road? Or does it have adjustable dampening on the forks?

Something to watch out for as well with the barkbuster, if you drop it, and the barkbuster rotates, is it going to damage the brake reservoir or line? Just something to be mindful of when fitting the mounting point near the brake line.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #25
805gregg
Just Stroming along

For crashbars Hepco Becker are good. I raised my V in the rearand it wallowed in the turns like a drunk sailor, I didn't like it. With a good aftermarket shock you don't need to raise it, the shock will keep you from hitting.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #26
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckoby
It's a Wee strom, have you ever ridden one?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #27
sckoby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Personal taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg
It's a Wee strom, have you ever ridden one?
I have, hence the comment. I just know how much Joe had his heart set on a KTM and the sorts of places Joe intends to ride, I just didn't think a "Wee Strom" was what he would settle for. I am sure he will do his magic and it will be like no other wee strom out there.
It's all good, no meany to offend.
sckoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #28
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,795
looking good Joe

I was watching that bike on Ebay and can only hazard a guess at what you paid.... great buy mate... I too thought you were looking for a KTM640... Gezz a Wee is a bit left field keeping that in mind.. but who am I to judge..

Hey mate, explain the ice on your wheel balance.... I get all the other stuff, but not the ice... lube maybe?

Joe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 AM   #29
CAPTAIN Z
OZ Mission Master

Oddometer: 124
Hey mate great progress on the build-up so far. Will you try put a high front fender or just keep the low one for now. I'd like to build something like this in the future, will keep an eye on this and see how it turns out.
CAPTAIN Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #30
Joe Watson OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN Z
Hey mate great progress on the build-up so far. Will you try put a high front fender or just keep the low one for now. I'd like to build something like this in the future, will keep an eye on this and see how it turns out.
Thanks for all the great comments. I will be doing a high guard. I will be doing a duel front brake line before anything.

Also doing a rear fender chop. Should neaten things up a bit.