Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Ordering Parts from ktm-parts.com ~ watch out.

I'm sure many of you have had good exchanges with them. I did not.

Just sharing my experience so others are warned. I ordered clutch plates from them. Two weeks later, and a week after their ETA, I still don't have the plates. I asked when they'll be in, and they said they can't give me an ETA. So, I tried to cancel the order, and they said they'd charge me a 20% restocking fee if I did.

Here's the chat I had with one of their "Customer Service" reps:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Robbie'
Robbie: Good Morning

you: Hello, I need to get an ETA on my clutch plates, please. Order number 36146.

you: The order pages gave an ETA of a week ago, but I've still not received the plates nor the springs. 267768 EBC CK Series Friction Plates KTM LC8 Backorder $85.45 $85.45 Notes: ETA: 08-31-2009

Robbie: I'm looking it up.

Robbie: The ETA is the expected date for the parts to arrive at our source (KTM North America), you have to add 2-3 days for KTM NA to inventorize them, then 2-3 days for them to get it to us, and all this was during the Dealer Meeting and Labor Day weekend.
you: So, what is the ETA to my doorstep, so I can get the parts installed?

Robbie: There is too many variables to give you an exact date at this time

Robbie: *there are

you: Perhaps that ought to be explaned in the ETA when one orders the parts, and sees the ETA date in their order. "The ETA is the expected date for the parts to arrive at our source (KTM North America), you have to add 2-3 days for KTM NA to inventorize them, then 2-3 days for them to get it to us"

you: OK. Cancel my order then.

Robbie: Your parts have already been special ordered, you will be subject to a 20% restocking fee.

you: Was this explained to me before I ordered the parts?!

Robbie: it's all in the Customer Service area.
you: Where, exactly??

Robbie: https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SUPPORT&Order=0&Store_Code=K

you: So, this information, is in an area that the customer is not directed to before purchasing the product, correct?

Robbie: no, it's on the front page.

you: So, in short, I ordered a part from your company. Without being told it was a special order, the order was place. Your company then failed to ship the part to TWO WEEKS. You cannot offer an ETA to my doorstep. Now you're going to charge me TWENTY PERCENT to cancel the order?!?!

Robbie: Would you like me to give you my estimate?

Robbie: without holding it against me if Im incorrect?

you: No. I want to know when this part is going to be at my doorstep. What good does it do me if I can't get the part installed?!?! I can't ride my bike until this part arrives, and know I'm being held hostage by a $20 charge to cancel the order. This is the worst customer service I've had in quite some time. Not only will I not be ordering from this company in the future, I will be warning others of the customer service, and using this chat as an example. It will be posted online in the KTM chat rooms to warns others about ordering from this company.

Robbie: Would you like fries with that?

Robbie: sorry I can't tell you the EXACT time the parts will be on your doorstep.

Robbie: so please, DO NOT order from us again.

you: You can be assured of that.

Robbie: so go have fun on ktmtalk

you: And advrider.com, and anyone else who'll listen.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I've ordered parts from them in the past and so far so good. Did you order the EBC part instead of the factory clutch kit? I'm guessing the EBC clutch kit might be a non stock item considering they sell KTM parts first. I'm also guessing you wanted to order the EBC unit to save some money?

Its really not KTM parts fault that your clutch failed and if you are really concerned about riding your bike, maybe you should have had one on the shelf waiting?

DISCLAIMER- I'm not affiliated with KTM parts, just offering an opinion since I run a service business that relies on parts ordered from vendors. Nobody is stocking anything these days, cash flow is a major concern for every business that needs to have inventory on hand. All my suppliers are having the same issues and it sucks, but welcome to the recession.

Just playing devils advocate The fries comment would have pissed me off though.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
So...

Customer orders out of stock item

Customer fails to read terms and conditions of sale, despite being clearly locatable on company website

Customer's toys exit pram when said unread T&C are applied

the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Oh - and now you're cross posting this all over the place?

Mods - Clean-up on isle two. This guy has already whined enough in the Vendors Forum....
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Robbie: Would you like fries with that?
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
dude... 2 weeks is nothing!

welcome to the none claimability aka we can not and never will be held responsible for lost or misplaced or delayed items posted in the mail.... and that goes for vendors and shipping companies like USPS, Canada Post etc... alike!

I have had items gone missing for a month and then suddenly turn up at my door with no explanation whatsoever as if that was the date they were supposed to arrive....

2 weeks in my opinion is generally expected.... if it arrived sooner I would be worried!
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Jody H
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
credit card dispute... end of the drama
'09 Aprilia Mana
Jody H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody H
credit card dispute... end of the drama
Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
I've ordered parts from them in the past and so far so good. Did you order the EBC part instead of the factory clutch kit? I'm guessing the EBC clutch kit might be a non stock item considering they sell KTM parts first. I'm also guessing you wanted to order the EBC unit to save some money?

Its really not KTM parts fault that your clutch failed and if you are really concerned about riding your bike, maybe you should have had one on the shelf waiting?

DISCLAIMER- I'm not affiliated with KTM parts, just offering an opinion since I run a service business that relies on parts ordered from vendors. Nobody is stocking anything these days, cash flow is a major concern for every business that needs to have inventory on hand. All my suppliers are having the same issues and it sucks, but welcome to the recession.

Just playing devils advocate The fries comment would have pissed me off though.
Those are all good and valid points. My concern was that if it was a part that had to be ordered (and therefore a potential to be back ordered), I would liked to have been informed, so I could find one in stock... or at least let me cancel my order, so I can find on in stock somewhere else.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
They should have told you that this was an item that was NOT ins tock... and they shoudl have described to you how long exactly it was going to take to get it in stock and what else was entailed.... I have had similar experiences and that is why I now as mentioned do not hold any expectations when ordering something.... as ONLY dissapointment will occur.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
Oh - and now you're cross posting this all over the place?

Mods - Clean-up on isle two. This guy has already whined enough in the Vendors Forum....
You must spend a lot of time in the basement?

Is this not a KTM-realted issue? Since it's KTM site?

As mentioned before, I have no doubt that lots of KTM owners have had great realtions with them. I'm just not one of them. And had I known that getting parts was going to be this difficult (or canceling an order), I'd have moved along to the next vendor.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Those are all good and valid points. My concern was that if it was a part that had to be ordered (and therefore a potential to be back ordered), I would liked to have been informed, so I could find one in stock... or at least let me cancel my order, so I can find on in stock somewhere else.
When I order from anybody these days, I call them to see if the item is in stock before I order online...... KTM-parts.com especially. The discount applies to online orders, but I check stock via phone or IM. I've never had a problem, but I verify. What did Reagan say to Gorby? Trust but verify?

I would also liked to be informed but 95% of the businesses don't do it, not sure why but I'm sure its manpower. How many people here are short handed at work these days? I'm a one man show, so I'm well schooled in the art of follow up
Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft

I would also liked to be informed but 95% of the businesses don't do it, not sure why but I'm sure its manpower. How many people here are short handed at work these days? I'm a one man show, so I'm well schooled in the art of follow up
Since the site is online, I expect most of those notices could/would be generated automatically by computer. Many of the online sites I purchase from send me confirming order notices and immediate BO notices with right of cancellation statements.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
Since the site is online, I expect most of those notices could/would be generated automatically by computer. Many of the online sites I purchase from send me confirming order notices and immediate BO notices with right of cancellation statements.
Could you list them in alphabetical order and PM them to everyone on this site........ J/K. Maybe the software investment is tough at the moment.... not trying to make excuses, but as a business owner I try to see both sides of the issue. I would bitch at my former boss about why we did things a certain way until I went on my own and realized it was not as easy as I thought.

I ordered a water pump kit for my SE from KTM-parts.com and got it in 4 days. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,397
For every 10 good business transactions there are probably 1 that maybe could be better.
I've had good and bad from many vendors.

I do think the OP should pass on his chat to the owners/managers of KTM-Parts so that Robbie can receive some needed coaching.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote