Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Could you list them in alphabetical order and PM them to everyone on this site........ J/K. Maybe the software investment is tough at the moment.... not trying to make excuses, but as a business owner I try to see both sides of the issue. I would bitch at my former boss about why we did things a certain way until I went on my own and realized it was not as easy as I thought.

I ordered a water pump kit for my SE from KTM-parts.com and got it in 4 days. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Ya. I'm not as upset at not getting the part for 2 weeks, as much as I am that they want 20% to restock a part that was not said to be a special order on its purchase page. Nowhere on the page did it state that it was back-ordered, or a special part. I'd be fine with canceling my order, and finding it in stock somewhere else.

I completely understand you points of view, and agree with most of them, and appreciate your feedback.

What to take from this? As a business owner, remember how grumpy the customer gets (well, I do, anyway) if a part if back-ordered, and the company didn't warn them ahead of time in any way, and then wants to charge a 20% fee for canceling the order to find it in stock elsewhere.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #17
azshtr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
I want to know UPFRONT if an item is special order or backorder. And if they give an ETA, that is to my door. Any other BS about what ETA is, is just that, BS. You have a legit gripe. CC dispute for sure.
azshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
For every 10 good business transactions there are probably 1 that maybe could be better.
I've had good and bad from many vendors.

I do think the OP should pass on his chat to the owners/managers of KTM-Parts so that Robbie can receive some needed coaching.
That's very true.

It's just that I've never gotten quite this hosed before (even in poor transactions), and I've purchased a lot of parts over the net before. Maybe I've just not purchased enough to know what really getting hosed is?

But, ya, you're right. Every vendor has good and bad reps. This one just really ticked me off, especially since it was the 4th communication I'd had with them trying to get a date on when I can get my bike running again.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,095
You could give your local dealer a try...

http://www.ktm-motosports.com/

PowerCell screwed with this post 09-08-2009 at 03:09 PM
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
You could give your loval dealer a try...

http://www.ktm-motosports.com/
What a novel idea. To buy from a local shop. That's unheard of these days.
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Ya ~ I try to, I really do. But when the parts are $20 less (in this case, about 20%), and it saves 1.5 hours of travel time... it's hard to get myself motivated to get over there.

But, you're right ~ if that's what it takes to avoid future incidents like this (one would hope)... then that's what I need to do, it seems.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #22
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Ya ~ I try to, I really do. But when the parts are $20 less (in this case, about 20%), and it saves 1.5 hours of travel time... it's hard to get myself motivated to get over there.

But, you're right ~ if that's what it takes to avoid future incidents like this (one would hope)... then that's what I need to do, it seems.

You could also try KTMTalk's shop online service. It will send your order to Munn Racing, and it's hard to find a person that speaks poorly of Munn (including myself). You'll get an instant 15% off list with this service, and the microfiche are available to help with your order...
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #23
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
Oh - and now you're cross posting this all over the place?

Mods - Clean-up on isle two. This guy has already whined enough in the Vendors Forum....

+1
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
You could also try KTMTalk's shop online service. It will send your order to Munn Racing, and it's hard to find a person that speaks poorly of Munn (including myself). You'll get an instant 15% off list with this service, and the microfiche are available to help with your order...
Sounds great ~ I'll give it a go. Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,386
You should have been told it was special order, if you had been the restocking fee would be acceptable. After all none of us work for free so why expect them to, or too tie up money in inventory that doesn't turn over. As an ex parts guy of 15 years, the customer doesn't give 2 shits about when the parts come to the vendor's vendor. That's not what ETA means. I've dealt with said vendor a couple times with zero troubles though.

That being said Robbie is also acting like a bit of a cocksucker, his boss needs a transcript. " Would you like fries with that, and please don't order from us again" Are you serious?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #26
Professor Badass
ROTC Special Forces

Oddometer: 146
Stuff like this happens to me too but I usually just blow it off and get on with my life.
Professor Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #27
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,263
Honestly I'd be a bit pissed at KTM-Parts as well... But maybe just posting in one forum is enough.

First, the sarcasm and rudeness of the service rep is pretty unacceptable. Upset customers are a fact of life in retail/internet, and if he can't deal with it, "Robbie" should get a different job.

Second, yea, I'd be upset if an item was delayed AND they would not let me cancel it. Delayed, o.k., Cancellation fee, o.k., but if it gets delayed and you want to charge me a cancellation fee, not o.k.

Third, there are several excellent KTM internet order houses... MunnRacing & CycleZone to name a couple. Usually have better prices than KTM parts as well. Whatever parts availability issues there might be, Chip Munn at Munn Racing and Mike Kruger at Cycle Zone will always give you excellent customer service!

Lastly, be aware that pretty much all the shops are going to *not* have many of the parts you want "in stock". They order the parts from KTM, then ship them when they arrive. This is often the case even if they say the part is in-stock. That means at KTM distribution, not necessarily on their local shelves. The problem arises when KTM is back-ordered. Then there isn't much the dealer can do about getting you the part faster, though they certainly can be polite about the situation and keep you well informed. KTM-Parts seems to have done neither.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #28
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
Honestly I'd be a bit pissed at KTM-Parts as well... But maybe just posting in one forum is enough. True, I just posted it in vendors too, since it was a specific vendor (and frankly, I've never been in the venders section, so maybe I ought to spend more time there to get better informed.

First, the sarcasm and rudeness of the service rep is pretty unacceptable. Upset customers are a fact of life in retail/internet, and if he can't deal with it, "Robbie" should get a different job.

Second, yea, I'd be upset if an item was delayed AND they would not let me cancel it. Delayed, o.k., Cancellation fee, o.k., but if it gets delayed and you want to charge me a cancellation fee, not o.k.

Third, there are several excellent KTM internet order houses... MunnRacing & CycleZone to name a couple. Usually have better prices than KTM parts as well. Whatever parts availability issues there might be, Chip Munn at Munn Racing and Mike Kruger at Cycle Zone will always give you excellent customer service!

Lastly, be aware that pretty much all the shops are going to *not* have many of the parts you want "in stock". They order the parts from KTM, then ship them when they arrive. This is often the case even if they say the part is in-stock. That means at KTM distribution, not necessarily on their local shelves. The problem arises when KTM is back-ordered. Then there isn't much the dealer can do about getting you the part faster, though they certainly can be polite about the situation and keep you well informed. KTM-Parts seems to have done neither.
Very good advice on the various shops to consider ~ I'll use one of them next time... thanks for taking the time to post them.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #29
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 533
Quote:

Yeah I like to support local business too, but when your local shop charges next years prices for last years parts and orders them on line themselves to prevent the cost of keeping a parts inventory there isn't a lot of incentive there. The wait is just as bad and the mark up is huge.

Thank God the sites I order my cigars from have their act together...

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #30
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
Yeah I like to support local business too, but when your local shop charges next years prices for last years parts and orders them on line themselves to prevent the cost of keeping a parts inventory there isn't a lot of incentive there. The wait is just as bad and the mark up is huge.
I agree... I happily support my local MC businesses that have parts/tires/etc. I need in stock, and I will often pay a premium for the "get it now" convenience.

The local KTM dealers however charge about 10% *above* MSRP, and seem to keep almost no OEM parts in stock.