ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 AM   #31
Chadd
I live in the wrong place

Oddometer: 467
I have never ordered from KTM-parts.com but based off of this thread I will for sure cross them off my list. Yeah some of this was probably the original posters fault for not calling to check stock, but the rep from the vendor didn't handle it very well at all.

As others have mentioned if I need something quickly I pick up the phone and call around until I

A. find it in stock
B. find out who can ship it out for me the quickest

I have dealt with three online KTM parts suppliers that I have had good luck with, in no particular order. These guys all have brick and mortar shops.

Munn racing

Holeshot

KTM cyclehutt

I never have any problems getting any of these companies on the phone to check stock/delivery time when needed, and have never been let down by any of them.

I used to have a really good local dealer that I bought all my parts from but they closed up a few years ago and I just haven't found another shop that gives me the kind of service that I am willing to pay a premium for and wait for parts to come in.
03 WR250F
95 GasGas JT25
Chadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #32
Gateshutter
Exiled

Oddometer: 2,758
I'm assuming the parts did eventually arrive and the world didnt end?

I had a similar experience ordering a pizza online, it took over an hour to arrive and didn't have some of the topping I ordered on it.
But I moved on and didn't try to think about it to much .
Old 09-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #33
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,411
Its always good to hear when a Customer "Service" Rep is an idiot. I will continue to order from KTMTwins.com
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #34
utopia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I learned a long time ago that if you need a part right away, you must call and talk to someone to place the order and make sure they have it in stock. And find out when it can be shipped. Otherwise, who knows when you'll get it.

+1 for Munn.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #35
stimmer6253472
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
+1 for Munn. Always had good luck with them. Chip seems to always be on top of things.

-1 for KTM Hutt. Just had a big issue with them a few weeks ago trying to get a SAS removal kit. They shipped the part to the wrong address twice with the right address on the invoice. Took almost a month to get the kit.

My personal opinion is the dude at KTM parts needs to be fired for the fries comment. What a tool for putting it in writing.
2003 KTM 50 mini adventure (boys)
stimmer6253472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #36
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
+2 Munn and CycleZone
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #37
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
You could also try KTMTalk's shop online service. It will send your order to Munn Racing, and it's hard to find a person that speaks poorly of Munn (including myself). You'll get an instant 15% off list with this service, and the microfiche are available to help with your order...
You won't have to go far here to find people who've had sub-optimal experiences with Munn either plus lots who've had good experiences. Note, I'm not saying they are bad folks. Clearly Munn is a 100% enthusiast run business with deep roots into the riding community.

It's just that when you have companies out there like RockyMountainATV which has their ordering system and customer service totally sorted everyone else looks like they are stuck back in the 1980s.

The OP could easily have run into the same issue if he'd ordered online from Munn given how their system works. Online, no indication of what is in stock, special order etc and if you e-mail them you'll get generally monosyllabic responses that don't engender much confidence. If you telephone them it's much better.

I've had bad experiences with Munn after requesting to add an item to an existing order and trying to get a tracking number out of them is like getting blood from a stone. The parts will arrive when the parts will arrive ;-)

CheapCycleParts has a much better automated system for ordering (though still nowhere near as good as RockyMtn) but I still like the idea of orderiing from a company like Munn which gives back to the "community", I just wish they'd invest some $$$ in a better order tracking system.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #38
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
You won't have to go far here to find people who've had sub-optimal experiences with Munn either plus lots who've had good experiences. Note, I'm not saying they are bad folks. Clearly Munn is a 100% enthusiast run business with deep roots into the riding community.

It's just that when you have companies out there like RockyMountainATV which has their ordering system and customer service totally sorted everyone else looks like they are stuck back in the 1980s.

The OP could easily have run into the same issue if he'd ordered online from Munn given how their system works. Online, no indication of what is in stock, special order etc and if you e-mail them you'll get generally monosyllabic responses that don't engender much confidence. If you telephone them it's much better.

I've had bad experiences with Munn after requesting to add an item to an existing order and trying to get a tracking number out of them is like getting blood from a stone. The parts will arrive when the parts will arrive ;-)

CheapCycleParts has a much better automated system for ordering (though still nowhere near as good as RockyMtn) but I still like the idea of orderiing from a company like Munn which gives back to the "community", I just wish they'd invest some $$$ in a better order tracking system.
I completely agree. Munn doesn't quote shipping which irritates me. And if you want the quickly available parts to be shipped without delay, you will pay multiple shipping charges. None of the OEM KTM part sources have top-notch web ordering/tracking systems, and all seem to have a man behind the curtain that seems to do things manually once you place the order online.

RockyMountainATV is an excellent example of how to do it right... Good prices, good inventory, good tracking, good customer service, good return policy. If only they would start selling OEM KTM parts!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #39
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
Munn doesn't quote shipping which irritates me.
Too many companies look at shipping as a way to make an extra buck or two, either via explicit padding, box charges, "handling" (a mail-order concept that baffles me) or flat rate shipping regardless of your location. After 10+ orders with Munn I'm pretty sure they charge only what UPS charges them, don't charge for boxes and don't charge for handling. Munn's shipping charges are actually very good IMO.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #40
stromaniac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
+ 10 for Munn Racing. Efficient and clear with backorders and stocked items.

I've not had problems with KTM Hutt. Actually they call me regularly when they have a question on exactly what I need. Their shipping charges are a little high for ground service.

Still, if you cancel an order before shipping, you should not be charged a "restocking" fee. If they do, I think it is quite justifiable NOT to order from them. I will probably never order from ktm-parts because I do not want to be the next "sucker".
Old 09-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #41
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
I completely agree. Munn doesn't quote shipping which irritates me. And if you want the quickly available parts to be shipped without delay, you will pay multiple shipping charges. None of the OEM KTM part sources have top-notch web ordering/tracking systems, and all seem to have a man behind the curtain that seems to do things manually once you place the order online.

RockyMountainATV is an excellent example of how to do it right
... Good prices, good inventory, good tracking, good customer service, good return policy. If only they would start selling OEM KTM parts!
Couldn't agree more. I order from them several times a year, and it's always fast, easy and accurate. I've tacked items onto orders before, too, and their customer service was REALLY good to work with.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #42
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I got to admit, i have been a Katoom owner for maybe two months now and ordered some parts form Cycle-Hut. Communications was good, but delivery is not what i am used to having on my other rides for 25 plus years.

I guess i am spoiled with Honda delivery times. Any part on anyone of my many Honda's is just 1 to 3 days away, no big deal. i guess Katoom sources all parts from across the pond instead of a US distribution center.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #43
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996
i guess Katoom sources all parts from across the pond instead of a US distribution center.
ktm parts come from the ohio. Always have though they just setup a new distro center there a year ago which caused minor chaos. Unless they are out of stock there, in which case it's often a month+ wait for them to arrive from Europe. My ktm only dealer gets almost an order a day from Ohio and turnaround on in-stock stuff is about 6 days (basically ups transit time). Maybe Honda is a bit faster.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #44
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
ktm parts come from the ohio. Always have though they just setup a new distro center there a year ago which caused minor chaos. Unless they are out of stock there, in which case it's often a month+ wait for them to arrive from Europe. My ktm only dealer gets almost an order a day from Ohio and turnaround on in-stock stuff is about 6 days (basically ups transit time). Maybe Honda is a bit faster.
I'm with a non KTM exclusive dealer...but I'm always offered an express or overnight option on ordering. So far the cost has been prohibitive for me. 6-7 days sounds right...my ten day experience included a holiday weekend.

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #45
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,862
It's been nearly a month now... and still not parts.

I can't get them to return my emails anymore. I asked for the owners email address so I could talk directly to him, and I can't get past the fella at the front desk. I tried calling, and the owner was 'unavailable' ~ again the same front desk guy.

Lovely.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote