Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman
Same line I heard from Manhattan BMW but nobody has been able to show me that explicit quote you suggest is in the manual.
You mean to tell me that you can't find this BS line in the owners manual as stated?
Well you can stop looking; it isn't in there and you'll be happy to know that there's plenty more misinformation floating around on this forum so just wade through it and quit being such a dick.

Few owners of these machines have to replenish much (if any) oil between changes once the bike is past it's 12,000 mile service.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #17
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 417
I've heard that the cylinder liners are very hard and that with 20-30,000 they still have the cross hatch pattern in them.
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
mag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,336
High engine oil consumption during early miles in a boxer's life is not a concern. Remember, you boxer engine uses alloy cylinders which are NOT sleeved, but plated with Nikasil, an extremely hard surface. This translates to three things:

1- Your cylinder walls/piston rings will last ~200,000 miles without appreciable wear.
2- Your engine cools better with this Nikasil directly on the alloy cylinder walls.
3- The cylinder wall/piston ring surfaces do take longer to bed in.

Be patient. Once seated (it may take 10,000 miles, mine took 17,000 miles) you'll be rewarded with an engine that will never need rings, pistons or re boring. Also, your oil use will abate to zero oil used in 10,000 miles. Meanwhile ride it as if it is fully broken in and DO NOT lug the engine.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #19
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag00
I've heard that the cylinder liners are very hard and that with 20-30,000 they still have the cross hatch pattern in them.
No liners in the boxer engine...Nikasil plated directly on the alloy cylinder walls. Extremely hard, hence the extended oil use experienced by some boxer owners.

Boxers almost always exhibit cross-hatching even at 100,000 miles.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by def
High engine oil consumption during early miles in a boxer's life is not a concern. Remember, you boxer engine uses alloy cylinders which are NOT sleeved, but plated with Nikasil, an extremely hard surface. This translates to three things:

1- Your cylinder walls/piston rings will last ~200,000 miles without appreciable wear.
2- Your engine cools better with this Nikasil directly on the alloy cylinder walls.
3- The cylinder wall/piston ring surfaces do take longer to bed in.

Be patient. Once seated (it may take 10,000 miles, mine took 17,000 miles) you'll be rewarded with an engine that will never need rings, pistons or re boring. Also, your oil use will abate to zero oil used in 10,000 miles. Meanwhile ride it as if it is fully broken in and DO NOT lug the engine.

What about every other brand that uses cylinders plated with a nickel silicon carbide coating? Do they also burn oil as much as the GS? Also, Nikasil is a specific trade name for a proprietary process. Does BMW use that product or another one?

Ducati uses plated cylinders and they don't have the same history of oil burning as the BMW.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #21
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,520
1 quart every 1000 miles would worry the crap out of me on MY particular 06 GS. I NEVER add oil during my 6000 intervals.
When I change the oil (20-50 dino) I fill right to the top red line in the sightglass. At 6000 miles, it is still above the bottom red line.
Surprising (sadly) that there are such huge disparities among similar bikes from a supposedly high-end bike manufacturer.
Regards
Bernd
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #22
edge2edge
Evil Scotsman

Oddometer: 181
When I picked up my 2009GSA a long time BMW rider at the dealership said to ride the bike the way you normally would. Once you have 100km on the bike ride it hard (not in stop and go traffic) on secondary roads, varying the speeds, and then head home. Do it again the next day, and the rings will have seated properly. He said not to ride at redline, just ride it hard to increase combustion chamber pressure which will help seat the rings.

I had been doing this on my machines as a matter of course but this was the first time somebody selling the machine has openly endorsed such a break in procedure. My GSA does not burn any oil (that can be measured) and I have been riding it in a wide variety of conditions.

The motor is strong and healthy...
edge2edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #23
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
It's normal for a boxer engine to use oil in the first TEN Thousand Miles.
You need to drive the piss out of it to get the rings to seat properly.
Low rpm High throttle openings will help to seat the rings properly..

You've got about 6K to go before she tapers off.
That's if you don't baby it. If you baby it all the time, It'll take even longer.

Just the way boxer motors are...

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
JetSpeed
Naviator

BMW states the: "Permissible oil consumption 1 l/1000km"

Which equates to 1 quart per 600 miles (not 1,000 miles).

This information can be found in the BMW service manual or RepROM under: Engine Technical Data not in the owners manual.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed
BMW states the: "Permissible oil consumption 1 l/1000km"

Which equates to 1 quart per 600 miles (not 1,000 miles).

This information can be found in the BMW service manual or RepROM under: Engine Technical Data not in the owners manual.
It actually was in my manual. Anyone with an 05 care to look it up? I don't have mine anymore.

Point is, this is a permissable amount of oil ussage, and causes no harm to the motor.

Jim

PS 600 miles or 1000 miles, close enough.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #26
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by def
No liners in the boxer engine...Nikasil plated directly on the alloy cylinder walls. Extremely hard, hence the extended oil use experienced by some boxer owners.

Boxers almost always exhibit cross-hatching even at 100,000 miles.
They are very hard, but I don't think this can be the reason for the oil useage. Virtually every bike made in the last couple of decades uses a Nikasil plated cylinder and most don't use oil. I've seen motors taken apart after 60k+ miles (and a NHRA championship) on a Japanese twins that still had the crosshatch pattern in the Nikasil - no measurable oil useage over 3k mile change intervals from the day it left the dealership on.

Perhaps the rings are exceptionally hard or have particularly low tension:O Another possible explanaition is that the the oil isn't burning (in the combustion chamber) but is rather being evaporated due to excessive oil temps (which would typically be worse during break-in - this is a common cause of oil loss on some air cooled thumpers like the XR650L). High end synthetics tend to mitigate against this somewhat.

Anyhow, sounds like its "normal" - personally I'd have been worried too. I also would find it a bit of a hassle to have to re-fill the oil every day on a long tour

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #27
JetSpeed
Naviator

I have an 05 owners manual right in front of me, I can recite the damn thing word for word, it aint in there!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #28
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,263
Bike Pilot, I just got back from a 3400 mile+ road trip and dropped half under the full mark. I have 18,000 miles and run Mobil1. Much of that trip was under speed due to time constraints. I normally don't use any, but I think the sustained high speed facilitated the lose.
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #29
majlee_vmi
TK-421

Oddometer: 376
I have an 09 GS model I picked up last November. I didn't really burn a lot of oil until my long trip last May - over 4K miles through the UK and western Europe. I found on my bike that once I reduced my reliance on engine braking, I burned less oil. 10K miles now and haven't added oil since getting back in May. Maybe things got better magically, but I equate it to not engine braking.
majlee_vmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #30
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 696
I'd be pissed!! Bought mine new cause I didn't want to end up with an oil burner. Broke it in hard - like I stole it and when it was in for the first service at 900 it was at the bottom of the glass. Now I've got 1100 miles since that service and the oil is just below 1/2, so nothing to add in 1100 mile on a bike with only 2k. Did you break it in easy or hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman
Bought a new 1200GS last March and the bike has been burning about 1 quart of oil every thousand miles during its 3,800 miles. The Manhattan dealership says its normal - Im thinking I have a lemon. What's your experience?
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote