Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #76
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,190
I'm just damn lucky I guess. I've never had a BMW that used oil except for a K11. That one had a series of leaky rear main seals.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #77
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 468
Really, this is much ado about nothing. I bought a brand spankin new 04 Rockster. The bike was awesome! I rode a thousand miles, I used a quart of oil... big deal.

That biike ran hotter every day I twisted the grip, by the time I got it to 20k miles... almost no oil consumption between changes.

I gought a brand new GS, same thing, only worse. Really a quart every thousand and every ten minutes that darned computer telling me I needed oil....

Now I'm at about 16k and its down to a cup every thousand. And that bike also runs like a scared deer and gets better every mile.

Whatever the reason (most likely the ridiculously hard and smooth piston walls) the bike needs some time to seat the rings properly. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. Ride the bike 30,000 miles and the oil use will stop. Regardless, it certainly hasn't hurt he relieability of the boxer engine.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #78
Arby60
Bluegrass Rider

Oddometer: 216
How low do you let the oil level get before adding and what level in the sight glass do you try to get to when adding oil?
Arby60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #79
vospertw
Adventures on the Cheap

Oddometer: 767
My 99 gets about 5K per liter, the DR is close to 20K per liter... At 1000 miles per liter, you guys could have bought 3 08 KLR's, rode the best one and kept two for spares.

'07 DR650SE

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
- Samuel Adams
vospertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #80
pkariher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vospertw
My 99 gets about 5K per liter, the DR is close to 20K per liter... At 1000 miles per liter, you guys could have bought 3 08 KLR's, rode the best one and kept two for spares.
We're just trying to be environmentally conscious.

No sense wasting oil.

We just wished out bikes used no oil.

Cheapest part of a BMW.........
pkariher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #81
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,432
I did a trip of ten days of riding 6300 miles on the odometer to 11,800 and my consumption was from the top of the oil glass to a little above the bottom of the glass.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:36 AM   #82
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by majlee_vmi
I have an 09 GS model I picked up last November. I didn't really burn a lot of oil until my long trip last May - over 4K miles through the UK and western Europe. I found on my bike that once I reduced my reliance on engine braking, I burned less oil. 10K miles now and haven't added oil since getting back in May. Maybe things got better magically, but I equate it to not engine braking.
I have an 08 r1200GS and engine brake every chance I get. I've used less than 1/4 of the sight glass in over 2000 miles or 3200km. I believe engine braking and slightly aggressive loading, up to the appropriate rev limits, are essential components to breaking in a motor.

I've done a modified "mototune" break-in on two kawi's (one twin, one 4cyl), one suzuki twin, one aprilia twin, one triumph triple and now a bmw boxer. None of them used oil at any point in time after the 600 mile oil change. I like to find hills to engine brake down and then smoothly load the motor going up the hill. I'll engine brake from 6th gear down to a dead stop in 1st at the bottom of the hill if I can. Going up, I start from the lowest gear possible and keep a load on the motor all the way up the hill. Rinse and repeat! It works and is even a bit of fun... HTH!~

nevermind screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 07:17 AM
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #83
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
Def, take a look at the cylinders on your bike. Look for "Gilardoni" cast into them, that is who made them, not Mahle. The plating is "Gilnisil".
Anorak,.

You are correct...the cylinders have the Gilardoni mark.

I wonder if an engine oil with a higher Noack score would fare better in the boxer, especially during early miles when localized temperatures (top ring, exhaust valve stems/guides) would be high.

I saw no evidence of oil in the combustion side of the engine during break-in...plugs remained light gray and still exhibit no evidence of oil. This would lead one to believe that the oil is cooking off and exiting through the breather. Your thoughts?

I use Mobil 1 which has a score of 96....my oil consumption at 40,000 miles is almost nil.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #84
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Not a broken-in issue?

Not to resurrect this half-a-year later , but I wonder if some are a crankcase breather issue. (or maybe that's what was meant by the guy saying "evaporation")

I add oil often. Don't know how much, but it's often. Like another inmate said, these boxers don't seem to like to be topped off. It doesn't seem to be a valve or ring issue since there's no blue smoke... ever. 43k miles on the bike.

I happened to pull the drain plug out of the airbox the other day while installing my new Ohlins ( ), and about 2 tablespoons of rather clean oil dripped out over the course of the next few minutes.

No, I don't overfill it.

What might cause the high crankcase pressure?

I'm no mechanic, so I may be totally off the map too.

Thoughts?
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #85
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313

Quote:
3.20 Oil in the airbox

It is normal to find a little oil in your airbox. The crankcase pressure will almost inevitable blow some oil into the air box. It does not always implies the engine was over-filled.
The harder you run the bike, the more oil you will find in the air box.

Straight from TasK's GSpot FAQ here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326162

I'm not sure why oil ends up there. For the record I have never found oil in my airbox but it certainly isn't an issue. I do, however, find that the harder I run the bike (75, 80, 85 mph) the more oil I'll burn. That being said, the last 5,000 mile ride only took about 3/4's a quart of oil. 2001 GS with 50k and counting.

by the way this:

Quote:
Originally posted by tagesk:
Could it be that because you also own a GS, you don't ride neither the GoldWing nor the Harley.
is fucking outstanding!
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #86
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands
Straight from TasK's GSpot FAQ here:

Frickin' nOOb. Thanks!
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #87
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands
I'm not sure why oil ends up there.
The engine needs to be breathed somewhere.
Most of the oil is in the forms of tiny air-borne drops.
By breathing into the airbox, mos of the oil will be sucked directly into the cylinders and combusted.
Thus you don't need to drip that oil on the road.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:27 AM   #88
leahyz
Gigantic Tool

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag00
I've heard that the cylinder liners are very hard and that with 20-30,000 they still have the cross hatch pattern in them.
That's probably not a great indicator. I've taken apart car motors with 150k+ and they were still crosshatched as well.

2006 Pacific Northwest Trip - Gone Wanderin...
2008 Trans-Am Trail Ride - TN & MS
leahyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:22 AM   #89
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC
FWIW-When I bought my '04 1150 GS I broke it in by the book--many shorter rides (50-75 miles), lots of gear changes and didn't exceed 4000 rpms. It initially consumed 1qt/1000 miles, but the amount progressively decreased. At 12,000 miles I switched to synthetic oil (Mobil1) and changed at 6,000 mile intervals. It has never required any any oil between changes since; now at 44,000 miles. Actually once on a long trip I went 9,000 miles between changes without having to add any oil.
When I bought my 04 1150GS the service manager told me to forget what BMW said about breaking in and to just ride the bike aggressively, but don't red line it or hold it at a single rpm for long periods of time. I did what he suggested and oil consumption has not been an issue. Perhaps a 1/4-1/3 qt per 1000 miles in aggressive riding. In the summer months it might be 1/2 qt per 1000 and even that has slowed now that I have almost 60K on the clock. Every tech who has ridden my bike tells me I have a strong running engine, better than others they have worked on. I have also not had any engine related problems.

Your experiences may vary.

Rick G
Rick G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #90
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
I bought my '05 1200GS, in 2007, when it already had about 17,000 miles on it. For the first season I had oil usage about what you're describing. Then in 2008, I rented a brand new GS in Spain, and asked if I'd have to top up the oil during the rental period. I was told that the "wasting oil" problem had been fixed on the newer bikes.

Regardless, during 2009 (my second full season riding the bike), I never had to put oil in my bike again. Problem seems to have solved itself. I still watch the oil consumption, as I ride in a lot of different weather/traffic conditions...

It's never been a big enough problem to annoy me. I also have a Honda CBR929, which has never consumed a drop of oil, not even when being used hard on track days...

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote