Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #91
90%1200gsadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I have 2005RT and a 2006GS. The RT burnt 1qt/1k for 20k's. The GS never burnt oil. This is a well known phenomena and nothing to worry about.

BMW cylinders are harden for longevity and the bikes that have larger clearances when new will burn more oil until they break in completely. It takes about 20k miles for that to happen. They are air cool engines and having very tight tolerances will create significant problems in very hot weather/high loads. Loose is good as long as there is no blue smoke or oily spark plugs.

Everything is fine. Read your manual. Enjoy your new bike.
1986 BMW R65 S
1975 Bultaco Alpina 350
90%1200gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #92
wamba
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
News to me

I have an 09 GS Adventure with about 3500 miles on the clock. As a first time GS owner, I was a little alarmed the first time I saw that check oil indicator and then found no oil in the sight glass. I topped it up and a couple of weeks later embarked on a trip to Death Valley and Las Vegas. The warning symbol came on again after about 500 miles the first day of the trip. WTF?

I topped it up again and the level remained at the halfway mark for the rest of the trip. But then ... my first ride since that long trip, the oil disappears again after about 125 miles. Nothing in the sight glass and I'm stuck in a small town without an auto parts store. I broke down and bought "76" brand motor oil from a drug store, service classification SM, SL. There was no motorcycle oil.

So that's about a quart and a half since the 600 mile service, about 2900 miles. And now I have half a quart of SM, SL oil in there. Should I be worried?

I called the dealer and told him the bike was consuming oil. He asked, "How much?" I told him and he said it seemed a little excessive. I'm taking the bike in next week.

wamba
wamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #93
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamba
So that's about a quart and a half since the 600 mile service, about 2900 miles. And now I have half a quart of SM, SL oil in there. Should I be worried?
Ignore the half a quart. As for the other... were you always checking with the bike level? Did you always check with the bike at the same operating temperature? Did you wait long enough after stopping the engine before looking at the sight glass? All that can make a big difference.

If you want consistent oil readings you need to check in a consistent way. That's hard to do when on a trip. At home, I always park my bike at the same spot and check before the first ride. I'm not looking for accuracy, but consistency. You don't need to be accurate to the nearest 1/2 oz. You just want to see if there is oil in the glass.

And don't underestimate the importance of a level spot. Gas stations, for example, are often designed to shed water, not for you to check your oil level. At such places you can change an over level indication to an under level indication simply by pointing your bike in the opposite direction.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #94
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamba
I broke down and bought "76" brand motor oil from a drug store, service classification SM, SL. There was no motorcycle oil.

wamba
Sir,
What if you need oil in a village in Angola or Mongolia?
Is it likely that they will have the Latest and Greatest on a shelf there?
Don't think so.

You, Sir, own an adventure bike. Your GS has been designed to deal with needing oil in Mongolia (and in the US )
It has been designed to run on oil with as low rating as SH. It is unlikely that oil
of such poor quality is obtainable even in Mongolia. But your GS will run fine, and has been designed to run fine,
on that oil.

Or, in other words: Your bike is fine.
Continue your adventure.

(and do check out what the GSPot FAQ has to say about oil)

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #95
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
Ignore the half a quart. As for the other... were you always checking with the bike level? Did you always check with the bike at the same operating temperature? Did you wait long enough after stopping the engine before looking at the sight glass? All that can make a big difference.

If you want consistent oil readings you need to check in a consistent way. That's hard to do when on a trip. At home, I always park my bike at the same spot and check before the first ride. I'm not looking for accuracy, but consistency. You don't need to be accurate to the nearest 1/2 oz. You just want to see if there is oil in the glass.

And don't underestimate the importance of a level spot. Gas stations, for example, are often designed to shed water, not for you to check your oil level. At such places you can change an over level indication to an under level indication simply by pointing your bike in the opposite direction.
Why is it harder to check you oil on a trip? Center stand the bike while you have a meal, rest or sleep. The ground only needs to be level in one axis too.

On the side stand you should see oil to the top of the glass. If yes no problem. That's a very quick reference but not an accurate reflection of the amount of oil in the bike, all it say is you have enough.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #96
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
From Jim:

The most accepted way of checking oil is to get the motor hot, like a 20 minute ride hot, then leave the bike on the sidestand for at least 10 minutes, then put it on the center stand.

This is to allow the oil to drain down from the oil cooler into the sump. However, sometimes it does not, as you saw, and you get a false low reading. This results in overfilling the bike with oil risking an overpressure and leaks, or blowing oil through the engine vent into the air box.

My method, tested by me many times, is to ride the bike until hot, park on the sidestand, and look at the oil after 5 minutes. If the site glass is full, I ride. If it is showing any air at all, I add 8 oz. Even the most oil thirsty bike wont use more than 8oz between gas stops, which is where I typically check my oil.

This method ensures that the bike is never more than 8oz short on oil. Since the bike hold 4 quarts, 8oz is insignificant. I have checked my oil this way for over 50K miles, on an oil thirsty R1200GS and R1200ST, and at every oil drain I have never been more than 8oz short, typically only 3-4, and that can be explained by oil not draining out of the motor and oil cooler.

So there you have it, the JVB method of checking oil.

Hope this was helpful.

Jim
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #97
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy
Why is it harder to check you oil on a trip?
It's not harder to check. It's harder to get consistent readings.

If you are one of those who says to himself "I see oil... time to ride" then you're fine. That's me.

If, on the other hand, you an anal SOB who is going to worry about your bike blowing up because the level was 2 mm above the dot last check when it was 2 mm below the dot on the previous check then you're not going to be happy on trips unless you bring a level along and make sure you are always checking on a 100% level surface
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #98
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy
Why is it harder to check you oil on a trip? Center stand the bike while you have a meal, rest or sleep. The ground only needs to be level in one axis too.

On the side stand you should see oil to the top of the glass. If yes no problem. That's a very quick reference but not an accurate reflection of the amount of oil in the bike, all it say is you have enough.
And enough is all you really ever need!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #99
Jeepthing47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Cool2 Yes. My 2011 GSA used oil during break in too.

It is 2011 and it is still very much normal for the BMW GS to burn oil during break in. I took my 2011 on a 6400 mile trip this summer. When I started the bike had 3000 miles on it and I was running it quite a bit harder (high speeds and hot summer temps) than I had the first few months I had it. Using it like this the oil consumption was noticeable and I had to stop and buy a quart. I ended up using that whole quart between miles 3000 and 5500 on the bike. I changed the oil at 5500 miles and the oil consumption pretty much slowed to a trickle the rest of the tip.. Made it to 9700 miles without having to add any at which point I changed the oil again.

Appreciated this thread because the manual (nor did the dealer) tell me this was normal. Would have been nice to know so on a Sunday in Memphis with all the dealers closed so I wouldn't have been wondering what the heck was going on with this new bike as I added the oil just purchased from Auto Parts Store. Thank goodness for this forum which answered the question.

The bike rode like a dream and other than this little bit of oil burn early in the trip no problems through the rest of the 6400 miles.
Jeepthing47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #100
asphaltsurfer1
CatManDoo

Oddometer: 120
Old thread but just confirming for any new members- Amazing that engines now days require such a break in. My 08 GS 1200 burned huge amounts of oil, 1 qt in 750 miles (didn't smoke or leak out which was strange), then slowely started setting in, stopping completely at about 6000 miles. I haven't had that long a break in for a motor since the 80s! Runs great ever since now with 29k.
asphaltsurfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #101
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
12,000 miles on my GS/A, and I'm still gulping oil. I really hope it settles down soon, as it's a PITA to carry oil everywhere.

More oil has been added to this bike in 12,000 miles than I've added to all of my Harleys (well over 200,000 miles).
Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #102
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,880
I really think that these bikes sip oil their entire life. I now have 79,000 miles and she still takes almost a quart every 1500 miles or so. Especially running hard in hot weather, like this past week when I was down in the Smolies tearing up the twisties. Lots of high revs in 2-4th gears plus some 1st gear hairpins. I had to top her off twice in about 1800 miles, maybe 3/4 of a quart and she was a tad low again when I got back home.

I keep a quart in the small compartmement under my Jesse luggage rack at all times. Out of the way, and ready to use when needed.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #103
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,651
I had to add about 200mL of oil to my engine today. First oil I have added to the engine in several years. I guess I should change the oil.

Nah....I'll wait until I put the new rear tire on (2-3 weeks).
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #104
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
My high oil consumption stopped somewhere between 40,000km and 50,000km, can't remember exactly when.

Under high load (lots of revs etc) she still uses oil, highway cruising and there is very little oil usage...

meh? Just top it up when required and carry oil on longer trips...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #105
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,290
Is it the design that causes oil usage, break in technique or type of riding (hot city idling vs high riding)?

There is that website that suggests the proper break in procedure for any machine is to ride it like you stole it from day one.

My had an 03 1150 and have an 08 1200, both hardly use any oil. I used half a sight glass going to AK, 5000 miles of 75-80 mph.

I hardly ever do any stop and go or traffic idling and I like to visit 8000+ rpm once a ride just to keep things cleaned out.