GPS on your bike

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by nedodjija, Sep 9, 2009.

1. nedodjija

nedodjija Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What gps you have on your bike and how much did you pay for it? Pictures welcome.
  2. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Garmin 276C. Waterproof. I also don't like touch screens. I can feel the buttons even with gloves and don't have to look down as much. It is an older model but I don't feel the need for anything newer yet. Check out the GPS section http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37 for more info than you can shake a stick at.
  3. Wingspan

Wingspan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garmin Streetpilot 2610. Picked it up as a factory refurb a year or two ago for ~$120 to replace my Garmin Quest.

[​IMG]
  4. richmo1

richmo1 Just a rider

Oddometer:
    I like the Delorme PN series GPS. I currently have a PN-20 with a 'RAM' mount on the handlebars. Paid a little less than $200 USD for it.
    I like it because of the offroad/topo maps I can load on to it.
  5. Kapp555

Kapp555 Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer:
    I tried to look through the GPS threads and it was daunting. Id like to get one that is usable on both of my bikes dual sport and street and also the car. Lightweight durable and inexpensive. I dont need a bunch of options just want something that stops me from getting lost when im riding solo in no mans land. An older model that I can used buy is ideal.
  6. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    (Note: this is not an inexpensive solution lol)

Check out my new Garmin 276C with the locking TT crossbar mount. :clap

[​IMG]

I've got it hard wired with a fuse to the battery. Seems to be a very stable system. I have already tested it at an off road park with lots of rocks etc. :evil

[​IMG]

Here is my view when I am sitting. I have the low seat and am kinda short so even mounted all the way left it block some of the dash. It is really not that bad and I barely need to lean a bit to see the speedo. Who needs to know how fast they are going anyway?... :rofl

[​IMG]

Here is my view standing, perfect...

[​IMG]

NOTE: The GPS is mounted at a slight backwards tilt for optimum viewing sitting and standing.
  7. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a new garmin vista with a basic handle bar mount. Not the most street oriented GPS. But i already had it for hiking. I think it could give you turn by turn if you got the ride software.
  8. Tood

Tood Duc head

Oddometer:
    I really like my Garmin 550. If I need it, it does BlueTooth turn by turn through my Scala Q2. Naturally works great in my truck too.

[​IMG]
  9. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 260 on my road bike for about 6000 miles now. As long as it doesn't get wet I think it will keep on ticking. Its pretty easy to use with a touch screen. I taped over the speaker holes but I can still make the sounds out. I got it free off a promotion for a bank.
  10. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a Garmin Nuvi 200 on my DL650. The GPS is tucked under the windscreen, so doesn't really get wet when moving or parked. I carry a sandwich-sized baggie to cover it with if I get concerned. Usually, if it starts to rain, I just power it down. 2 seasons, no problems. You can see a piece of red tape on the left side, over the SD card slot. The SD card contains some photos, + a PDF of the service manual. Works well, and as cheap as they come.

I didn't think I wanted a GPS until I bought the bike with one included, and now I wouldn't be without one.

[​IMG]
  11. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Garmin 60Cx (paid $220 - new unit with 1 GB memory card and 2 year warranty). Mounted using a RAM cradle and switches between multiple bikes and cars.

Sorry no pics at the moment.
  12. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garmin 2610 refurbed three years ago for around 200 cash dollars american -- waterproof, works every time (I don't use the voice feature, so can't comment on that), shop made mount.

[​IMG]

While I'd LOVE a unit that had weather reporting capabilities, I'm having trouble justifying the cost (and non-waterproofedness?) -- beside, the 2610 keeps on ticking!
  13. everlast30

everlast30 Bs.As - Machu Picchu 2010

Oddometer:
    Garmin ZUMO450 i bought it on sale in Amazon! no problems with the GPS whatsoever! but!! keep an eye on the GPS Mount!! the first time i wash my bike with the GPS Mount on, the damn thing died on me! it had the connector cover on!
    Garmin replaced the unit on warranty but now i made a quick disconect thingy to remove the mount every time i wash the bike or if i see that is going to rain!

Another thing! the mount is water proof only with the GPS installed :(
  14. jmanz6

jmanz6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a refurb Navigon 2100 for use on my GS700E. It's not waterproof so if it starts to rain I either put a baggie over it or I take it off. I got it cheap just before xmas last year and made a custom mount to put in right on the top triple clamp. So far so good. It's actually more reliable than my TomTom that I got for xmas from the in-laws. I think I paid about $75 for it so if it dies I won't be too upset.
  15. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Zumo 550. I also have a Nuvi 500 but use the Zumo almost all the time. Used a 1" aluminum rectangular tube and a new RAM base to mount it bwtween the Madstad brackets.

[​IMG]