ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
October ride @ the Arizona Strip

The "Arizona Strip" is not a gentleman's club. It's a vast chunk of BLM dirt south of St. George, Utah. And we're going there.

Starskey, Warp9man, Infidel, and others.....are going to be there for one final bash before the cold weather sets in. We plan to travel down on October 23, and return on the 27th.

The land yacht owned and navigated my Warp9man will be mission control, and if all goes well it will be parked somewhere south of St. George near the Arizona state line. We'll be close enough to St. George that those desiring a hotel room will not be far away, and those wanting to camp with us will not be THAT close to the city.

There is a LOT of VARIED land out there. There's something for the big bikes, and something for the small. The intent is for our large group to break into smaller groups every day, depending on bike size, riding style, and what everyone wants to see, then do our thing and return in the evening for comraderie, swapping lies, and other such tomfoolery.

Early on in the trip, I'd like to lead a group from mission control up and over Mount Trumball, to my favorite Grand Canyon overlook at Tuweep. This will be a great ride through the middle of the area, and thus giving everyone a taste of what is out there. I used to work out there, and I think there's something for everyone.

Indian petroglyphs, piney highlands, red rock canyons, historic sites, caves, white washes of gypsum...this place has something for everyone. For those that like to fish, there are a couple of decent resivoirs around. Additionally, St. George has motorcycle shops and other "stuff" so we can get parts, go to restraunts to eat, and enjoy other amenities.

If you think you'd like to join us, post so here and we'll get some details and organization going. If you can't be up there for the whole thing, we'd enjoy having you there as much as you can.

Check in here!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,730
I'm thinking I can leave Friday night and return on Tuesday.........time off request goes into the hopper tomorrow.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
jtaylor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I'm Game

I'll be watchin this, it's my back yard after all. Would love to show some peeps some of what the area has to offer and join in the fun! Any questions, just ask! Count me IN!
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer: 440
Im IN

Sounds good to me. I'll get my time off request in tomorrow. What's your plan, ride or trailer down ???
Old 09-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

jtaylor, it'll be nice to have a local along. I used to work with a wilderness rehab program out there, but it's 6 or 7 years since then so I have a vague recollection of things, but that's it.

dakardad, Warp9man will be pulling his trailer behind his motorhome and he and I are leaving here friday morning to get down there and set up before too late friday evening. I won't speak for space on his trailer, but he'll be posting soon on this thread and he may have some trailer space available.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Clusby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I was camping in this area last March and really wished I had brought the DRZ along. My girlfriend has really been wanting to go back.... maybe this would be a good chance. Hows the weather in October? March was cold and super windy (we camped at Toroweep)

Chris
Clusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor
I'll be watchin this, it's my back yard after all. Would love to show some peeps some of what the area has to offer and join in the fun! Any questions, just ask! Count me IN!
I know Taylors in St. George......The one I'm thinking of is the used to be the best bud accross the street type, and is now the long haired rock star type who comes to the rescue with his old school, home made diesel burning work truck type when you have a flat tire on your motorcycle.

Which one are you? Big brother?

Oh ya I'd like to see the strip too.
I'm working on a way to swing it.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusby
I was camping in this area last March and really wished I had brought the DRZ along. My girlfriend has really been wanting to go back.... maybe this would be a good chance. Hows the weather in October? March was cold and super windy (we camped at Toroweep)

Chris
Barring any unusual weather, October may be a bit crisp at night, but not bad. Most importantly, the days should be cool enough to wear all your ATGATT without suffering dehydration from sweat within the first hour.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
nwforester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Not sure if I will still be down there in Oct. - I am doing a job for Zion NP starting next week and the Uly is loaded in the work trailer. I love the strip area and all the riding possibilities down there. So I will keep checking in and if there are any "big" bikes crashing around between now and Oct. I would love to tag along. I have my sat phone and was going to do some single riding in the area whenever I get a free moment. Better than the wet NW!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
jtaylor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
I know Taylors in St. George......The one I'm thinking of is the used to be the best bud accross the street type, and is now the long haired rock star type who comes to the rescue with his old school, home made diesel burning work truck type when you have a flat tire on your motorcycle.

Which one are you? Big brother?

Oh ya I'd like to see the strip too.
I'm working on a way to swing it.
The rockstar lives down the street from me, the bus will make it out if you get in a pinch, (one of the three, whichever happens to be working). I'm an import, but the real deal is just around the corner. Come on down!
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
1Percenter
Novice

Oddometer: 6
Thumb I'm Game

If you don't mind a n00b on a KLR jr. I' think I can swing the time off and I would love the experience.

'07 KLR650
'05 KLR250
'06 TTR125LE
'02 YZ250
1Percenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Percenter
If you don't mind a n00b on a KLR jr. I' think I can swing the time off and I would love the experience.
Sure, come along!

I might be confused, but wasn't it you and your son that Warp9man and I met on the Liberty to Avon pass a few months back?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
1Percenter
Novice

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKEY
Sure, come along!

I might be confused, but wasn't it you and your son that Warp9man and I met on the Liberty to Avon pass a few months back?
That's me! I've put almost 2000 miles on the bike since then and I'm gaining more confidence. I'm also ready for some new scenery, I just wish I could afford a bigger bike. Maybe by next spring I'll have saved enough...

'07 KLR650
'05 KLR250
'06 TTR125LE
'02 YZ250
1Percenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
I'm thinking I can leave Friday night and return on Tuesday.........time off request goes into the hopper tomorrow.......
Request approved............. .............and bumpity for harcus and others.........

BTW.....I'm not making official plans since I don't trust the fates to let me plan anything........I went to a Greek play yesterday and totally agree that the gods are intent on playing with us lowly humans to amuse themselves.........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
STARSKEY OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Request approved............. .............and bumpity for harcus and others.........

BTW.....I'm not making official plans since I don't trust the fates to let me plan anything........I went to a Greek play yesterday and totally agree that the gods are intent on playing with us lowly humans to amuse themselves.........
You speak much wisdom oh great one. The gods move us about like pawns on a chess board and chuckle greatly when one falls. Warp9man can no longer make this trip due to work, so our mobile command center is gone, along with my accomodations and trailering for the bike.

How is everyone else doing on transportation/accomodations?