User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,016
47 Year Old Goes To Motocross School Part III

After 2 weather cancellations and a scheduling snafu since 8/22, it looked like my third MX class was a go. Rich Schmidt from Motovation Motocross School at Englishtown NJ said if I didn't hear from him it was good news (and I didn't). Iit was almost 9:30am and my session was to be at noon. I had to leave shortly to be (early) on time for the class. I had been late due to traffic the last time and I didn't want that to happen again.

The usual dense traffic was nowhere to be found so I arrived about 11:20am and watched the sprinklers groom the track for awhile... This is the main race track but my lesson today was to be on the expert practice track.
Attached Images

5Chord screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 01:26 PM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Rich arrived a few minutes before 12pm. We unloaded our stuff and got ready. Here's all 3 bikes: My CR85RB, Rich's CR250F and his CRF150F back up and training bike. He used the 150 most of the day.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I apologize in advance for the poor quality videos. I promise better ones next time.

We started out this class the same way we did the first two; with body position drills.

In the next 2 videos, I try and get acceleration, braking and turning posture; transitioning from a straight legged forward lean during the application of power, to a rearward leaning, bent legged position during downshifting and braking...Then sitting (forward on the seat), putting out a leg between the start and middle of the turn....A lot to remember on a screaming two-stroke where all the gears sound like a chainsaw from hell.

5Chord screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 01:10 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

We did these for about an hour.....I have to admit I'm getting much more comfortable on the 2 stroke beast.....One thing I learned was it was much tamer in a higher gear.....A clutch adjustment did absolute wonders and allowed me single finger clutch work which allowed for smoother easier shifts while keeping 4 fingers firmly on the left grip........ I'm clearly not getting forward enough on the seat in the turn and I'm sitting a bit early as well........Nice un-intentional wheelie when I was getting tired and hit the power-band before standing up on the pegs in the second go-around.

&nbsp
&nbsp

5Chord screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 04:33 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Finally Rich deemed me track ready and we did a lap or two together, standing on the pegs starting slow and gradually speeding up. After awhile I decided to see how close I could stay with Rich.....It was then that I learned 3rd gear (and up) has next to no engine braking. I narrowly missed rear-ending him. I found out then that covering the front brake with 2 fingers is pretty damn important.

The track conditions were unusual. The dirt was very hard and no mud or ruts to speak of. Kind of what I'm used to in the Pine Barrens or Carmel.

Rich chose a sweeping left handed turn for the focus of the next exercise. Here I start the loop right before a table-top, shift into 4th, run down into the next jump and set up for the turn........... Downshift to 3rd and accelerate out of the turn ending up on the pegs.....but then slow for the whoops as I get off the track there and start the loop over again.

5Chord screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 12:59 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I was still sitting early and not getting far enough up on the tank when putting my leg out, but this one's not too bad..
Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Next we attacked an interesting right-hander which led straight up a jump....The turn had TWO berms; an inside and and outside one. Rich tells me it's unusual and was probably created that way because of the track conditions and no ruts. Rich got the stop watch out and while I was much faster (speed wise) on the outside, I was 1.25 seconds quicker on the inside...He's getting on me a bit here for not getting forward enough on the seat when in a turn.

5Chord screwed with this post 09-09-2009 at 10:15 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Here we put it all together......I'm starting this loop just off the track and to the rear and left of a table-top.........I accelerate to 4th gear, go over the TT, downshift to 3rd in the left handed berm, upshift to 4th and stay there for the next two consecutive jumps, (where we started the left-hander earlier) take the sweeping left berm, slow through the whoops and back through the right-hander, up the hill, working on a rear brake, downshifting drill on the downslope and then off the track to start again. At least that's the way I was supposed to do it

5Chord screwed with this post 09-11-2009 at 02:41 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Here I'm getting tired and my front wheel went over the inside berm in the right-hander....

5Chord screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 07:00 AM
Old 09-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Here I'm in 5th when I thought I was in 4th.....The bike is very unforgiving if you find yourself a gear too high

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I get this one pretty good..................
Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Then we worked on Jumps for a little while....I needed to work on keeping my body perpendicular with the ground when riding up the face of a jump...Sometimes I was leaning back too much and was getting thrown forward...This one's about perfect though
Attached Images

5Chord screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 01:04 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

An early problem I was having in the jumps was not squeezing the bike hard enough with my knees: "Hey Rich, Why are my feet coming off the pegs in the air??"...........In this pic my knees are squeezing the tank for dear life, but I should be standing up more
Attached Images

5Chord screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 01:06 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Soon it was after 3pm....Where did all the time go? Look out Bubba, I'm comin' for ya!
Attached Images

5Chord screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 01:08 PM
Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Good stuff, man.

Wow, a motocross class. Thats awesome.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote