An automatic motorcycle in India?

Northstar Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 AM   #17
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
As i write up the rest of the story, you'll see that as geriatric as Enfields are, they do grow on you. A big plus is almost every mechanic in the country knows how to work on them and has the spares to fix them. Originally I was going to get a more reliable Pulsar, but as a foreigner you can't come to India and not do your trip on an Enfield!
Like that 100cc thingummy grew on Nathanthepostie...

But seriously, you will *NOT* find mechs or parts everywhere , unlike the Pulsars, better if you carry your own spares for safety! That's what the gargantuan panniers are for. I know a dyed in the wool enfield fanatic (even more than Chanderjeet ), who was actually toying with the idea of carrying an extra ENGINE in one of them - apparently swapping an engine is a very straightforward job....

I agree, bike tourism in India is supposedly incomplete unless done on an enfield. Hmmm. Just like a guy I know who went to USA and rode the "best" brand there for a week, no prizes for guessing.

Looking forward to the rest of your post!
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #18
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
The next day was spent getting a few things done on the bike, oil change, check clutch etc. The first of what turns into a an almost daily chore when you own a Enfield. All my clothes have oil on them now, I know all the mechanics from Manali to Leh. There are 3 main shops that deal with Enfields in Manali. Tikey is a young kid who like a lot of the locals here spends the 4 month season in Manali then heads down to Goa to do the same thing. He was recommended by the last owner of my bike, Tikey had actually worked on the bike down in Goa where Richard had bought it.

While at the shop I met Robert and English guy who although having a motorcycle license hadn't ridden a bike in a few years. he was looking for a little Pulsar to cruise around on to get use to riding again before taking on an Enfield. We got talking and then made a plan to go ride the next day along with another guy he had met, a French guy Julian who had his own Enfield. The next day we set off down the Kullu valley.

Not making it far before Juliane's bike started acting up.

It took hours to get down to Kullu only 40 km away and then we spent 2 hours at a mechanic shop while he tried to figure out the problem. Not such a great days riding, but it got my feet wet and I was starting to feel comfortable with the bike. At least I wasn't hitting the gear lever every time I went to brake!

Arriving back in Old Manali that evening I ran into Honey. I'd bumped into her a couple of times before and tried to give her a wide berth, but she was persistent and struck up a conversation putting on her little sweet girl act that she did so well. I left feeling like maybe I should be giving her a second chance. The next day I met up with a Danish guy that was in my guest house and a Russian friend of his, both with Enfields. They were heading down to Kasol in the Pavati valley and asked if I wanted to come along. Both had pillion passengers, two Russian girls, so as we were about to leave and Honey showed up I found myself asking if she wanted to come along.

It was a great ride. Stopping for tea

We took some little back roads that wound up mountains and I got to try out the bike on dirt rock strew roads too. Honey was an awesome pillion, well she can only weight about 90lbs so its like not having anyone there at all. She was nice all day, but when I asked if shed take photos while on the back of the bike she said "take photos of what?" We were going through some great country, but this was typical of her, she doesn't even travel with a camera of her own.

With the partial success of the Pavati Valley trip I invited Honey along on a bigger trip to Daramshala with Julian the French guy and Rob from England. Rob was going to rent a Enfield for this trip, although with the rain of the morning he was a little dubious of his talents.Julian had invited a French couple along what wanted a ride to Darmashala. They didn't have a bike, but they made up for it in having a shit load of luggage. This was actually part of the reason I invited Honey. I could see their envious eyes checking out my bike and its capability of for carrying them and their shit.Inviting Honey put an end to that problem but began a whole new set of problems for me. Also along on the trip was a local guy Sandeep. He was going part of the way back to a remote village to see his parents. We were going to go with him to see what family life was like in a small village. "its only 20km off the route to Darmashala" he assured us. What he didn't say was that that 20km was on dirt roads that went over the top of a mountain. And by the time we got there we had to do it at night. we got a really late start, first with the rain delaying us, then Rob got about 15km down the road and decided a Enfield wasn't for him and we had to go back and trade it in for his trusty Pulsar.

Yes thats honey doing her best Klan imitation. After getting out of the mountains in Manali the weather turned into a beautiful day.

Eventually we made it to Sandeep's little village where everyone knew him and gave us a cheery greeting. the next day we walked around and looked at the hydro station before setting off for Daramshala.

This is what we'd come over the previous night.

Why do the French always look so ...French?

And the English, well look English too

rogerdodger screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 08:59 PM
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:44 AM   #19
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Talk about a great adventure!!

Old 09-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #20
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #21
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Old 09-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #22
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
awww crap. looks like the last report i made a couple of days ago didn't post . Im currently down in Delhi. When I get back to Manali tomorrow, I'll sit down and try and sort it out.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #23
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Fantastic! Just love Honey's attitude. Ha ha ha Women! Can't live with them, Can't live without them! Thanks for sharing and waiting for the next installment.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #24
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,186
I'm in - may get a chance at a version of his trip in early December.
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #25
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,574
Subscribed!

I'm in!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #26
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
You're owned.

Gee- sure didn't take long, did it...
Old 09-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #27
Arthurwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
One good reason to travel with a woman: the bed bugs seem to prefer them.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #28
Flash412
Elk Biffer

Oddometer: 8,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
... but as a foreigner you can't come to India and not do your trip on an Enfield!
I borrowed a Hero Honda Karizma for my Indian adventure. My Indian friend, Ashwin, warned me off from getting an Enfield because they are too slow and break down too often. He told me that they had become a curiosity and a rarity for real transportation. I didn't see very many Enfields, except in MacLeodgang which was littered with them, all ridden by foreigners, most of whom plainly had little or no experience on a motorcycle and wore little no protective gear.

Just wondering, how come you didn't fly into Delhi if that is where you wanted to start?

But, hey, nevermind me. This is a great report so far. And great photos, too.
Links to Forty years of my Adventure RIDE REPORTS
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Flash412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 AM   #29
Papillon
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Awesome report so far. Interesting and funny. Nicely done! Keep it coming! Lucky bugger!
Papillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:52 AM   #30
throttle twist
sometimes adventurous

Oddometer: 154
an english guy i work with did this trip with his missus on an enfield. he had a ball.

i was shocked to hear about the gear changing etc all being on the wrong side and upside down!

loving this thread, good luck and godspeed!

throttle twist is offline   Reply With Quote