Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 AM   #31
werewasi

Oddometer: n/a
I've got this 60's tune going round in my head:

Honey in the morning, honey in the evening,
honey at supper time.
I love you my little honey and I'll love you all the time.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #32
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
I prefer this one by the archies in '69.

That was bubble gum pop! Amazing how things changed in just 8 years! Now, back to the RR!

overlandr screwed with this post 09-21-2009 at 06:10 AM
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #33
CurDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Keep Honey for the humor...

Yes thats honey doing her best Klan imitation.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 AM   #34
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen
I'm in - may get a chance at a version of his trip in early December.
not sure what version you are planning. The passes to Ladahk are all ..um un-passable.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:19 AM   #35
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
You're owned.

Gee- sure didn't take long, did it...
Hey if you'd been on the receiving end of this girl in action you'd not mind being owned for a bit either! In the end though even her horizontal prowess wasnt enough to cancel out the psychoness.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:27 AM   #36
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash412
I borrowed a Hero Honda Karizma for my Indian adventure. My Indian friend, Ashwin, warned me off from getting an Enfield because they are too slow and break down too often. He told me that they had become a curiosity and a rarity for real transportation. I didn't see very many Enfields, except in MacLeodgang which was littered with them, all ridden by foreigners, most of whom plainly had little or no experience on a motorcycle and wore little no protective gear.

Just wondering, how come you didn't fly into Delhi if that is where you wanted to start?

But, hey, nevermind me. This is a great report so far. And great photos, too.
you have to understand that most Indians are looking for a bike as transportation to and from work etc. The Enfield still gets top marks as a comfortable machine to get you over the rocks and sand and bumps and holes of Indian roads on the long haul. And the parts are still more available than other brands. In Ladahk I saw as many Indian travelers on Enfields that had come up from Goa, mombia and Delhi as i saw westerners.

I've been traveling for a year and a half now. So I travel as cheap as possible. I could get a cheap ticket into Kokatta but Delhi was nearly twice as much. Plus it gave me an opportunity to ride a train all the way across the country.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #37
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Daramshala is like any market town in India, noisy crowded and dirty. But just north up a steep winding road into the mountains is Mcloedganj. Still with some hustle and bustle, but the town is alive with red robes of Buddhists. Mcloedganj has been the home of the Dhali Lama since his flight from Chinese evaded Tibet in 1959. The Dhali Lama was in residence and giving lectures at the monastery in the mornings. Julian had read his guide book and took us further up the mountain side to the small village of Bhagsu This place had a similar feel to Manali with pot smoking hippies, and the air alive with the sound of strangled instruments as travelers looked for their inner self while throttling a flute or tenaciously teasing a guitar. As usual the Israelis were in force here too. In fact in the whole of India it seems you can't swing a cat without hitting a Israeli. Most of them come here after their 3 year military term. 3 years of being told what to do, 3 years of defending every boarder this tiny country has, a life time of living in a country surrounded by enemies, they come to India and go crazy. Smoking pot and singing songs, they do what they please, when they please. And its this attitude, that comes across as arrogant, self indulgent, rude, and so tight with money, thats given them such a bad reputation amongst travelers. Its actually partly due to Israelis that the tourist visa was cut from a year to 6 months in an attempt to curb out of control Israelis and bring them home.

But back to my story. The French couple wanted to stay down in Mcloedganj, so we were now 4. Julian and Rob kindly found themselves a guest house that had only one room left, so nothing for Honey and I. A lot of the places were full. Honey was getting back to her ways, and we'd had another heated discussion when she'd walked off somewhere while I was fighting with the bike.

The tiny road that leads up through Bhagsu is really steep, so steep that I burnt out the clutch trying to get up it. I'd had to abandon the bike further down the road and when I looked round Honey was gone. I waited an hour an a half for her to show up again,. When she finally showed, she went off on a rant about where had I been!? Huh, I'd been right there waiting for her!. She'd actually gone off on a sight seeing trip and was now trying to switch the blame round on me for the fact that here we were at 9.00pm hungry and still with no place to stay. Eventually we found a place and finally got settled in and fed. Honey like her name has her feminine ways of making everything sweet and good in the night. So by morning we were off exploring around the town.

I took a look over the bike. Now the clutch had cooled off it was working again, but I figured it might be good to take it to a mechanic and have it replaced. A clutch only costs about 350rp to replace so it wasn't worth taking a chance of it going out in some remote place where I might not be able to get it replaced so easily, and I knew I had much harder riding coming up. I found a really good mechanic. He actually laid things out in some order as he pulled the bike apart and cleaned things as he put it back together again!. He did an awesome job of adjusting the timing and carb while he was at it.

[IMG][/IMG]

The clutch has 3 steels and 2 friction plates I think. but in the cage is two friction plates that are riveted into the cage. No mechanic has a tool to put the rivets back in, so they improvise with whatever is handy.

The next couple of days Honey and I explored the area.

Rob wasn't having such a good time here, the hippy scene isn't something he is into and he had an Israeli girl that was coming down from Srinagar that he was trying to meet up with. He took off to go find her. Julian was in his element, the hippy scene IS totally his thing. He'd discovered a number of musical instruments to torture, and enrolled in spiritual classes to find himself.

Honey was getting into her stride. One night she went completely mental and started screaming about morning after pills and a pregnancy test kit. This mysteriously came on the tail end of a conversation where she was asking me how much money did I have and would I marry her if she got pregnant. Ok enough was enough. She really had to go. Not only for my sanity but i could see the laying of a well developed Filipino trap.

Honey and I set out back to Manali and things had got so bad we didn't speak for almost the whole ride of 7 hours. One minute she was being normal and the next she'd turn on me like a scalded cat. This was my holiday and she was making it miserable. I really had to stick to my guns this time and say "no more, go away!"On dropping Honey off in Manali she tried to act all hurt that I was dumping her. But I had plans of going to Ladahk soon and there was no way I was going to put up with this for the 500km of remote roads that was coming.

By the time I got back to Manali it was time for yet more work on the bike. This was becoming all too routine. Of the mechanics in Manali I thought Id try a guy that was out of the tourist belt. the mechanics that work the tourist crowd know what a dollars worth and they know we are all leaving and so sometimes dont do the best work they could. the mechanic i went to did a great job on re upholstering the torn seat. but when it came to looking over the gears that i was fighting with to get into 2nd and constantly getting faluse neutrals he claimed it was "no problem". A term I came to completely distrust. These guys had my gearbox stripped down in about 2 seconds before I could say stop. then I spent the next 5 hours fighting with them because they clearly didnt know what the hell they were doing, and just using a bigger hammer wasnt going to make the gears go back in the fucking box! eventually they made a phone call and one of the mechanics that runs a shop dealing with tourists bikes showed up.
[IMG] photo IMG_2994_zpsc9e0c5e1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok sorry i gota go get dinner. I swear we will be taking off for ladahk next and there will be videos and great pictures!

rogerdodger screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 03:34 AM
Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #38
stephenaki
Old Rider

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
Hey if you'd been on the receiving end of this girl in action you'd not mind being owned for a bit either! In the end though even her horizontal prowess wasnt enough to cancel out the psychoness.
Dated many Filipinas in high school, being originally from Hawaii, but they were Americanized so I never had the psycho experience you did. I have talked to many service members who are non-Army and did time in the Philipines; every one described your experience. I'd recommend kicking her to the curb before she triggers the trap! It's your holiday not hers!
99 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
stephenaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #39
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon
Awesome report so far. Interesting and funny. Nicely done! Keep it coming! Lucky bugger!
thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #40
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

As I'd mentioned, Manali has one road that snakes its way over a pass to Ladahk. Actually, the pass, Rohtang La takes you over to the next district of Lahaul Spitti. Rohtang means in Tibetan, "pile of body's". So called because so many people have come to an end when they got caught out in the conditions that can turn nasty very fast. At 3978 meters its not the highest pass on this journey, but this pass has a reputation for being the most difficult on the route to Leh . As the rains sweep up the moist, lush valleys of Kullu they hit Rohtang and dump everything they have. Once over Rohtang you are in the arid desert like landscapes.

I'd met an English girl Carmen who was looking for a ride to Leh and although I was in no mood to hook up with anyone for a while after my traumatic time with Honey, she was fun to hang out with and we decided to go for a test ride up Rohtang. This turned out to be a good move as it highlighted a couple of things. Don't try to go over Rohtang after 11.00am and a 350 Enfield, at least mine, isn't powerful enough to make the trip with two people and all their gear without a lot of pushing. The road up to the pass is only 50km from Manali, but in most places its not much wider than one lane and it was chock full of trucks and tourist jeeps taking Delhi and Mombai tourists to the summit were these crazy Indians who have never seen snow before frolick in the dirty snows, carrying skis and dressed in full ski suits.

There are constant landslides and its this that causes massive traffic jams. For motorcycles we can weave our way through the traffic, but a lot of the time you reach points that you just can't get through. I was constantly being on and off the clutch and it was clear if i carried on i was going to burn out another clutch and to be honest Carmen was a lousy pillion passenger, shes one of those that talks to you as if you are sitting in a quiet little cafe, so Im constantly having to shout back at her "what?" At this time too we were both trying to be good and wear helmets. I had bought a nice open face helmet with smoked screen. I liked wearing it as it kept the shit and smoke from trucks out of my eyes and was warm, more than being much of a defense against tarmac surfing. Carmen was constantly whacking her helmet into mine. I know these things are petty, but on a what was going to be a long trip i really didn't want to deal with this every 5 minutes.

a few nice relaxed days passed in Manali. Some great walks into the hills.
And watching the usual crazyness from my favorite cafe.

look closely at the left hand side of this picture

I was in no rush to leave, Carmen was. We met Scott, who was also planning on going to Leh and he had a 500 Enfield. He could take her if i took her bags, but he couldn't go for a couple of days. No problem we all kicked back for a few days and in the mean time some other guys joined the group. By the morning we were set to leave Scott had bailed. Bike problems that couldn't be fixed for too many days for us to wait, this meant Carmen was out too. So it was Matty, Gus and myself all set to go.

a cheery wave off from scotty Simon and Amy. carmen not looking so pleased.

and off we go. oh no wait matty needs to stop for tea.

Dont even ask wtf gus is wearing. i told him he looked like the village idiot. that didnt go down too well.

starting out up Rohtang we were going well. Met and passed other riders and kept on chugging up the steep muddy road.

Matty turned out to be a pain in the ass. He was quickly dispatched on Rohtang when after negotiating a landslide in particularly deep mud he burnt out his clutch, no choice but to turn back. So now it was me and Gus and we cruised along merrily and sometimes shouting with excitement at just how amazing this trip was.

Ok I gota load some other videos up on youtube. be back later!

rogerdodger screwed with this post 02-17-2010 at 03:13 PM
Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #41
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

humm same vid and in edit it doesnt show the vid to be able to delete. just deal.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #42
stephenaki
Old Rider

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
humm same vid and in edit it doesnt show the vid to be able to delete. just deal.
Nice videos, I'm jealous!
99 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
stephenaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #43
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,958
Sounds like a Bullet,for sure!
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #44
AMERUS
Traveler

Oddometer: 59
loving this
AMERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #45
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
A

Dont even ask wtf gus is wearing. i told him he looked like the village idiot. that didnt go down too well.
That is definitely the strangest "dress sense" I've seen on a guy for quite a while. I guess I'll put it down to the wackyness that goes on in traveller's heads whilst transiting the Indian continent.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote