Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 04:50 AM   #76
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger

Mohan is a great mechanic. Has a monopoly in that region.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #77
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:

I remember seeing this guy (with the girl) riding in Manali when I went to Leh.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #78
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet
I remember seeing this guy (with the girl) riding in Manali when I went to Leh.
Yeah I think scotty has been around in India for a few years and been in Manali a few times too. He and I are going to be group leaders for http://purebiketours.com/
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #79
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
When did you leave the UK? Do you now consider yourself an American? What nationality do you gove me when you get the inevitable "where RU from?"! Just curious.
I left the Uk when I was 19 and lived in the states for 27 years. I still have a sorta mutt accent so people can never pin it down where Im from. even brits think I must be an Aus. I consider myself more American than anything. but I never actually got legal there, 27 years as a wet back! So its hard to say Im American. The "where you from" question I usually skirt around and say American and hope I can get away with it with out having to go throught the whole story.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #80
Flash412
Elk Biffer

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:
... The "where you from" question I usually skirt around and say American and hope I can get away with it with out having to go through the whole story.
Just say, "Canadian." No one will ever continue that line of questioning (and may even stop talking to you entirely ). Seriously, some friends of mine came up with this "Canadian strategy" while traveling in Asia when they wanted to be left alone. And it works.
Links to Forty years of my Adventure RIDE REPORTS
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Flash412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #81
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash412
Just say, "Canadian." No one will ever continue that line of questioning (and may even stop talking to you entirely ). Seriously, some friends of mine came up with this "Canadian strategy" while traveling in Asia when they wanted to be left alone. And it works.
LOL thats bloody brilliant
Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #82
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

sorry going to have to wait till tomorrow for the next installment. I seem to have got a problem with both videos I was about to load on youtube and now I have to re edit them.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #83
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn
It's quite unbelievable to see these pictures with NO snow. Or even the huge snowmelt craters on the road which can be more than a foot deep at the shallowest point.

Even if there is no snow, the rock patterns on the mountains caused by snow erosion compensate.
yeah i really think I had too easy of a time of it. Hey but im not complaining. i hate the cold.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #84
kaipara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
What an excellent report!
Great photos and vids.
My wife and I are working up to do an India ride and seeing reports like this is giving us great encouragement.
Many thanks.
kaipara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #85
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
yeah i really think I had too easy of a time of it. Hey but im not complaining. i hate the cold.
I hate the cold too, but there, the real enemy is the altitude. It's easy to prep for the cold, and when stressed, you don't feel it. I waded through calf deep snowmelt and it did not bother me one bit - you get used to it after a few days, I guess.
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #86
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaipara
What an excellent report!
Great photos and vids.
My wife and I are working up to do an India ride and seeing reports like this is giving us great encouragement.
Many thanks.
If you are in the Rotorua area you can buy me a beer and pick my brains! I'll be back there sometime between December and Feb
Old 10-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #87
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

After a little play in the snow, we set off down into Nubra Valley. Its all pretty easy road from here.

Or maybe rock strewn road and sand was seeming easy after the monumental journey from Manali. We made Deskit our first nights stop.

In the morning we moved on up through the Shayok Valley to Hundar a strange desert like area that even has double humped camels.

From Hundar we back tracked past Deskit and then up Nubra Valley proper to the village of Panamik.

This was an easy ride and so after some lunch and settling into our guest house we went off to explore the other bank of the Nubra river..not such a good idea. They are making a road now and had just laid down some lovely silky smooth rocks to ride on...not.

We spent the night chatting with the guest house owners daughter. She was a young college girl who couldn't wait to get back to college and away from her Mum who constantly shouted orders at her.

In the morning we set off for a big adventure. When we were at Khardong La we met a swiss couple on bikes. Mike and Dino had been chatting away to them in swissy german and said they had heard from someone else that there was a road that lead from Nubra up another valley next to Khardong La and dropped you down closer to Pangong lake. This would save us having to go over Kardong La again and through Leh. But it was a risk. All the locals we asked said the road was a hiking trail and couldn't be ridden on motorcycles, but locals are notorious for handing out miss information. Then again here we were setting off on 3rd or 4th hand hear say. There was a real possibility we could run out of gas, get lost, or best case have to back track all the way back to Nubra again. We found the split off in the road to Khardong and made our way along interesting roads running along side the Shayok river, then through an amazing valley and finally after a few confused looks at maps that never show any accurate detail, headed up towards Wari La. It was a fantastic trip, made even better by the fact that we saw maybe 3 vehicle the whole time.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #88
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok I cant tell if I goofed up somewhere, both those videos are starting out the same, but my connection isnt fast enough to load the whole vid. Have to deal with it later. Dinner time here.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #89
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
now if only you have a GPS trace of this.....
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #90
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn
now if only you have a GPS trace of this.....
I've been looking at buying one down in Delhi, but they want $200 more than I can get it for in the US. So when I get back to NZ I'll have one sent over ready for when I come back to India in June! And then yup I'll be mapping away for sure.