Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #91
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn
now if only you have a GPS trace of this.....
I've been looking at buying one down in Delhi, but they want $200 more than I can get it for in the US. So when I get back to NZ I'll have one sent over ready for when I come back to India in June! And then yup I'll be mapping away for sure.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #92
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Yes, even I bought my units from the US.

260$ for a brand new 60Cx off ebay (retail price was a lot higher, India price, dont ask!). Tough little unit, having somewhat decent city maps now means that you can find your hotel in places like Paharganj a lot easier... or places to give you your caffeine fix

If you need tracks etc later, I may be able to help.
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #93
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn
Yes, even I bought my units from the US.

260$ for a brand new 60Cx off ebay (retail price was a lot higher, India price, dont ask!). Tough little unit, having somewhat decent city maps now means that you can find your hotel in places like Paharganj a lot easier... or places to give you your caffeine fix

If you need tracks etc later, I may be able to help.
thats the exact model Ive been looking at too!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #94
Flash412
Elk Biffer

Oddometer: 8,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
I've been looking at buying one down in Delhi, but they want $200 more than I can get it for in the US. So when I get back to NZ I'll have one sent over ready for when I come back to India in June! And then yup I'll be mapping away for sure.
I have a Garmin 76CS and like it a lot. I found that the GPS maps and the paper map of Northern India that I had disagreed most of the time about where there were roads and where the roads that were there went. Sometimes the actual tracks from my the GPS were totally unrelated to EITHER where the GPS thought the roads were OR what the map said.

Here is a post related to this subject, with visual aids.
Links to Forty years of my Adventure RIDE REPORTS
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Flash412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #95
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

It's improved greatly since. The map you have shown would have also shown leh manali as a series of straight lines . It's been corrected since

The original maps were off the highways by as much as half a km. The Manali/Kargil jn, for eg was off by 300metres. Not any more. The latest maps are spot on as far as the major roads in most places are concerned, are routable, and cover at least 140+ major towns and cities. More than 1000000 POI's too (not such a big deal, but hey, better than nothing!).

It will only get better.

Most of the interior roads are NOT there, will take time to show up on your GPS, and will not be likely to come onto your paper map at all.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #96
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash412
I have a Garmin 76CS and like it a lot. I found that the GPS maps and the paper map of Northern India that I had disagreed most of the time about where there were roads and where the roads that were there went. Sometimes the actual tracks from my the GPS were totally unrelated to EITHER where the GPS thought the roads were OR what the map said.

Here is a post related to this subject, with visual aids.
I'll have to look at this later, off to ride up Solang, the area that has a ski lift and also where they are building a tunnel under Rohtang.

Do you know are the maps used derived from Google maps?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #97
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, and you can actually make your own maps using Google maps. They come very handy when you are exploriing a specific location, it is always nice to know where the fork leads when you have limited time on your hands.

Many GE photos are oblique, and that introduces an error while drawing roads (for the guys who have made these maps). Over a 20 x 20 km area the error gets significant considering the curvature of the earth. Once they get a proper track, they get reference points midway so they can correct the map, and that is what is happening now.

Entire road grids can be positioned accurately - and tracks from the 60Cx can have an error as little as plus minus 3 m here (and actually a lot less than that if you compare coming and going tracks). Submitting your tracks to the mapmakers actually earns you points - make your next purchase cheaper.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #98
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
I clicked on the link,

http://www.vintagerides.com/index.php?lang=en

comes up as a virus infected site.

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #99
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klavdy
I clicked on the link,

http://www.vintagerides.com/index.php?lang=en

comes up as a virus infected site.
Yeah i just got the same thing. Im going to shoot Alex a message and see what he knows. He is based in Delhi and I know they are doing some updating, maybe something went wrong! thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #100
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

It was 2.00pm by the time we reached Sakti the ride down from Wari La had been spectacular not just for the scenery but the road. It was brand new black top, twisting and snaking down the pass. I got a little carried away and was hitting the corners pretty hard, then I hit sand in a corner. The front wheel washed out, but a foot down managed to keep the bike upright, but now I was heading straight off the road into a ditch. I hit the ditch and the bike bounced out and into another ditch and pitched over, but gave me enough time to just step right off without any harm. Getting the bike upright was all I could do, then wait for Mike and Dino to catch up and help me get the bike out of the ditch. The bike whacked down really hard and I was worried Id bent the forks. One footrest was bent and the rear brake twisted. Dino pulled up and we got the bike out of the ditch and gave it a better inspection. Nothing other looked out of place. A few well placed strikes with a rock fixed the brake lever and the footrest, and I was on my way again no harm done.

After lunch and buying some grocery store gas we headed off for Pangong lake and over Chang La. The road to Chang La is all in good condition and we made good time into Tangtse. we'd been told to stop at this town so as to be in a good position to make the crossing over the river to Pangong. Everyone we'd met who had done this trip had warned us of the river. They told us you could only cross it in the morning and no later than 11.00am. The later it got the more melt water snows would be gushing through this rocky channel. That even when you crossed in the morning, how bad the crossing was, of water nearly waste deep, of the crossing being stony and 40meters long. In our guest house we spent the night in a slightly nervous anticipating state in a room with three beds and a shared bath with some crazy Indians doing a driving tour of Ladhak. In the morning we set off, hoping we'd make it across the river without dumping the bikes in the freezing waters. Someway up the road a few people had stopped and some action was going on. These marmots have become really tame due to other travelers feeding them.

Reaching the crossing we found a bus stuck in the water blocking the easiest of paths.

Bikes could get past but you had to go down stream an it was much more rocky. But not anywhere near as deep as all the stories we'd been told. Is there something about travelers that they embellish their tales to make it sound so much more dangerous? Dino and I got across and I helped a couple on another Enfield. The bus moved and Mike got an easier crossing in the path of the bus.

Its wierd looking at these pics now. At the time it seemed pretty likely one of us would dumb a bike in the river. In the pics it doesnt look like anything. In the vid at the end of this post it shows micheal making his crossing.

When we reached the lake we stopped to take it all in, and met up with the couple Id helped across the river. We chatted and chatted and so they ended up joining us, or did we join them?, since they could speak Hindi it made negotiations at Dhabas and guest houses much easier.And Naomi was so easy on the eyes.

We found a guest house in Spangmik.The locals here don't speak hardly a word of English so it made it nice to have Gothan do the negotiations and arrange the evenings dinner.

Spangmik is the furthest village foreigners can ride to before the Indian military stop you from entering China. The threat of China is felt everywhere by the huge presence of the Indian military. They have large speed boats with gun turrets stationed on the lake. Once we saw one go shooting off across the lake. We'd been told you can sometimes get them to take you for rides, but we didn't try. After we settled into the guest house Dino, Naomi Gothan and I went off to explore the lake. Michael stayed behind due to sulking from something. The lake is said to change color 7 times a day. In the morning its more of a brackish brown, but as the light hits it it does really change colors, from blues-green to magnificent turquoise. The water is freezing, but I have a rule about travel, you gota try it.

Sorry I dont have a photo stitch program on this computer. these are courtesy of Mike.

Dino was tired and headed back to the guest house at about 2.00pm. Naomi Gothan and I went to check out the river we had crossed, figuring by now it would be a ragging torrent. We made it to a point where an insignificant trickle of water a few hours before was now itself a ragging torrent. There was no way to cross it and so we never got to see the river. Turning back and heading to the guest house we were surprised that a series of small ditches was now a fast running river. Getting across was pretty difficult and Gothan at one point was ready to give up, leave the bikes and walk back. We got through only to face an even bigger crossing further along. This went on for an hour. It was insane that a few hours before there had been nothing and now we were all in serious doubt if we could get back to the guest house. With careful scouting of the crossings and coming into the water high and riding at an angle down them we eventually made it back. I was too busy to get any pictures, I think Naomi has some, but has yet to send them.

We had a fantastic dinner sitting out under the stars that covered the sky, Satalites floating past and an occasional shooting star to make a wish on.

Is anyone actually watching these videos? I think you all must be looking at Madbrits ride report and given up on mine, with Himalyan overload!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #101
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
The water is freezing, but I have a rule about travel, you gota try it.

Is anyone actually watching these videos? I think you all must be looking at Madbrits ride report and given up on mine, with Himalyan overload!
I thought you hated the cold

We're watching we're watching.....
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #102
zookster
Chupacabra

Oddometer: 634
The videos and the ride report are fantastic! keep 'em coming...
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #103
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 316
The report and photos are great! I especially like the vid clips. The videos add a dimension to this RR that feels like being along for the ride.

Although, I have to admit that each time I see an oncoming vehicle I get that butt-clenching feeling that a head-on crash is about to occur. I think that it would take me a long time to become used to riding on the left side of the road. When fatigued I believe that it would be quite easy to start driving "American" and wind up on the right side of the road.

Have a safe journey and keep those reports coming...
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #104
Johnny Drunkard
sQuishy

Oddometer: 6,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmoto
The report and photos are great! I especially like the vid clips. The videos add a dimension to this RR that feels like being along for the ride.

Although, I have to admit that each time I see an oncoming vehicle I get that butt-clenching feeling that a head-on crash is about to occur. I think that it would take me a long time to become used to riding on the left side of the road. When fatigued I believe that it would be quite easy to start driving "American" and wind up on the right side of the road.

Have a safe journey and keep those reports coming...
It's India, there really is no right/wrong side of the road.

Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #105
NoShock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Definitely keep the vids(and the report coming). They are much appreciated.
NoShock is offline   Reply With Quote