ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #91
adventure girl
Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoaxe View Post
Well it looks like its game on for me and I'll be on my 950 and heading on a slow route north from near Santa fe by tomorrow and into the Moab area for Friday. I'd really like to hook up with you bunch for some riding and beverage sampling. Where are you staying in Moab? Is there any accommodation available there?

We are camping at Big Bend campground, it's on the river on Rt. 128, 7.6 miles east of Moab. Should be room for a tent!

My breakfast will look like this...

'05.5 KTM 950 ADV (Orange is faster)
'04 KTM 525
adventure girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #92
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,483
Vegetarians beware!

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #93
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,339
Nothing like Uli's breakfast burritos on a cold wet morning in Echo Park!
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #94
jjustj
JUSTAGUYTRYING2STAYDRY

Oddometer: 5,270
leaving for utah in how many hrs???

have to work tonight leaving when i can in morning have to try to fix the base area at the ski hill to make it through one last weekend. fun fun fun..NOT!!!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #95
Colorado Uli

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider View Post
Nothing like Uli's breakfast burritos on a cold wet morning in Echo Park!
Norm, you and the offsprings want to stop by Sunday morning for some, ahhhh, nutritional infusions?

Das KTM520
Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #96
Colorado Uli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
have to work tonight leaving when i can in morning have to try to fix the base area at the ski hill to make it through one last weekend. fun fun fun..NOT!!!!!
Suck it up. It'll be worth it come weekend.
See you out there.

Das KTM520
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #97
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 453
baxter pass and NW Colorado

What can I expect to find around Baxter Pass this early in the season? Mud and snow, or is it gone and dry yet. The various maps I have all show different information, can you get easily from Douglass Pass to Baxter Pass (1150GS).

Anybody know anything about roads NW Colorado, around Antone Gap, G Gap and Iron Mine Gap? Can I expect dry enough roads. Don't want to get caught there in the mud. I have seen the tracks others made in wet roads there and it wasn't pretty.

Lastly, Uncompahgre, SE of Gateway, too early I assume?

Looking for a couple of days trip sometime soon.

KP
khpossum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #98
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Baxter has snow on the North Side I have heard. What are you looking at around G gap and such in the NW Corner. I was out there this week 3 times. If you give me a Route, I could look it over for you. I have been riding up here for the last 30 years. Picture is taken 5 miles north of G gap last Sunday, looking into Vermillion Basin. Antone Gap is on the far side of the farthest right peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
What can I expect to find around Baxter Pass this early in the season? Mud and snow, or is it gone and dry yet. The various maps I have all show different information, can you get easily from Douglass Pass to Baxter Pass (1150GS).

Anybody know anything about roads NW Colorado, around Antone Gap, G Gap and Iron Mine Gap? Can I expect dry enough roads. Don't want to get caught there in the mud. I have seen the tracks others made in wet roads there and it wasn't pretty.

Lastly, Uncompahgre, SE of Gateway, too early I assume?

Looking for a couple of days trip sometime soon.

KP

nwcolorider screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 09:55 AM
Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #99
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider View Post
Baxter has snow on the North Side I have heard. What are you looking at around G gap and such in the NW Corner. I was out there this week 3 times. If you give me a Route, I could look it over for you. I have been riding up here for the last 30 years. Picture is taken 5 miles north of G gap last Sunday, looking into Vermillion Basin. Antone Gap is on the far side of the farthest right peak.
With a log in name like that I must be talking to the right guy. I am not looking around for anything in particular. I don't know how to insert a Garmin file, so I'll send you a PM. I was a little further East last year and want to explore this location a bit more. It seems about as remote as it gets. But as I mentioned I saw the tracks of some others bikes about 9" deep in mud for what seemed for miles. I don't want to that with the beast. If you have any route recommendations I'll take them.

Thanks for you help,

KP
khpossum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #100
minerbill
Emits Methane

Oddometer: 280
You can connect Douglas and Baxter by coming north off of Douglas almost ten miles , then go west up Missouri Creek, over Oil Spring mountain then continue generally west to connect up with Evacuation Creek/ Baxter pass road. The road west Oil Spring summit is deep in a canyon and can stay muddy longer than you would expect. All this can be done on a big GS. Because Baxter is an old rail grade, the top north facing portion is relatively flat through the aspens. This keeps the road snowy and wet longer than usual. With some patience to allow things to dry out, this is very scenic, enjoyable riding. PM me and I can (hopefully) do some map traces for you.
minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #101
Colorado Uli

Agree, too early for Baxter. Last year I called the Garfield County roads department to get the official scoop before attempting it.
Also too early for the Divide road (near Gateway). It should still be gated shut right now.
But, it's drying out fast, so keep checking.

Das KTM520
Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #102
adventure girl
Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Hey, Adventure Girl! Did you used to race Enduros?
I remember a feisty gal who rode the Chadron race back in 2000 with her husband on matching KTM's. Seems to me they were from Rifle, too. As I recall, she got stuck in the mud for a while before somebody stopped to offer help.
Well, anyway, I admire your taste in adventure bikes.
Hey, I just saw this! Nope, not me, but I am glad someone thinks i am feisty!!

'05.5 KTM 950 ADV (Orange is faster)
'04 KTM 525
adventure girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #103
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
I got out this afternoon on the DR650, even though my back is still hurting from a pulled muscle a few weeks ago. I passed up a weekend ride in Moab with Uli & friends, thinking I better try to heal up and take it easy. That's easy to say, but this nice weather has been KILLING me, I've been wanting to get out for awhile on the dual sport.

I rode out of Fruita West, on Hwy 6 & 50, to the turnoff for Hay Canyon. I made a quick stop at the Antione Robidoux Inscription at the mouth of the canyon, then started climbing into the Bookcliffs. I picked up the Bookcliff Ridge Road and started making my back East along the ridgeline... it was COLD up there, I'd guess 38* or so? Windy, too! I found my way to San Arroyo and dropped back down towards the valley. I did some exploring on some interesting side roads that ended up going nowhere, but at least I've seen them!

After getting back out of the canyon, I started working my way back thru the desert... taking random roads I've never been on before. One after another, the roads turned for the worse... eventually I stumbled on some sweet desert singletrack! The DR650 was more than a handful on the soft singletrack, but eventually I found a main road which lead to asphalt. 4.5 hours and 125 miles later I was home...

Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #104
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Day 3 of riding Sandwash

Found some fun little single track today
Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #105
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Greg@RME, looks like a good time. Seems, like me, a lot of your rides are spur of the moment type, wake up and then decide where you'll go. I do a lot of that too. But we have the same interest, get out and see where that road there goes to. Currently I have Sundays and Mondays off, so if you're going to head out on one of these days my XR650L is ready. I also do small bike exploring if you're interested too. Uli can come along but he'll have to buy beer.
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote