Looking forward to pics and to Woody's honing service

Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Looking forward to pics and to Woody's honing service

I'm looking forward to BMW un-fu*king this situation under warranty...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
I'm looking forward to BMW un-fu*king this situation under warranty...
Ditto.

If it doesn't happen soon enough though I'm getting mine done by Woody and then sending BMW the bill. Think they'll pay??
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Hmmmm!

Looks like it's time for Woody to throw out the pizza's and the Hungry Man's. I forsee a freezer full of SKF 6204's in the near future.
FatTirePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #20
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Laugh

I think someone owes me five bucks.
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #21
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,318
oh my oh my what a can of worms ''the CAUSE n EFFECT ''statement has wrought

folks this is sooo weird reading your remarks in another thread that i can't respond to,,,,BUT can lurk on.....

so my dear comrade wscollay FYI...i have NOT hammered on you on anything ,i NEVER called you a dope,,i simply used your post regarding the second bearing R&R incident and on your way to another one just like it as an example of what happens when one blindly ASSumes that simply replacing failed components is going to cure your problem,,,,you just assumed you had a bad bearing..most folks would probably do the same thing... it is like ''the Love canal incident'30 years ago,,the individuals in the neighborhood just thought they themselves had an anomally,,their own personal little incident....'twas only from a different perspective and some carefull analysis that th e''light went on'' and folks started realising ...WE HAVE A PROBLEM ON OUR HANDS!!!,,get it????

ALL of you can replace your bearings whether chinese ,taiwanese,czech,made in USAor whatever ...the will ALL suffer the same fate ,,,,provided they have the same tolerance as the originals,,,,

when Al Van Dyke was in the shop i showed him the Koyo bearing book with the different tolerances C1,C2,C3 etc,,, each one had a greater free play as the numbers went up.... there could be a possibility that BMW is replacing your old bearings [which FYI coincidentally felt very,very tight aka C1, then the more commonly used C3s] with C4s C5s or kinda like putting a looser band aid on the wound,,

i was simply pointing out that by the time [circa a month after tmex's thread started was when i accidentally saw this thread],,,i was pulling my hair out because so many of you had jumped on the 'bad bearing' bandwagon..and started switching out bearings,,,and then BMW started switching out bearings for you all,,under warranty no less....OK you get to start out over with new bearings ,,,,
BUT YOU ARE DESTINED TO SHARE wscollays fate somewhere down the line....because 'wrong cause will always =wrong effect'

hey ,,,it's mother natures way of pointing out what works and what doesn't,,,

so ALL OF YOU WITH NEWLY REPLACED BEARINGS OF WHATEVER BRAND OR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN>>>>

KEEP CHECKING YOUR BEARINGS!!!!....

OFF the BIKE!!!!!!

[ the damage is too subtle to tell in the early stages when it could avert disaster if ya just spin the rear wheel on the center-stand],

and YES,,,with a finger inside the bearing and press and twist..you'll have your answer immediately

nuff said for tonight..

w
OBTW...the ''speculation'' phase lasted until empirical data was actually gathered and collated.
Had we done this before this morning 2/3rd of the posts would be mute....

Another item,,,perhaps the one i measured was an anomally,,,based on the evidence ...it's just the tip of the iceberg.

....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 12:08 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #22
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

so how many voices blowing in the wind will it take before....

here's the evidence....

[IMG]images/statusiconCrash/user_offline.gif[/IMG] [IMG]images/buttonsCrash/quote.gif[/IMG]
DockingPilot
View Public Profile
Send a private message to DockingPilot
Send email to DockingPilot
Find More Posts by DockingPilot

[IMG]images/statusiconCrash/post_old.gif[/IMG] Yesterday, 06:28 PM #585
ROYAL COACHMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG]image.php?u=69501&dateline=1238131173[/IMG]

Oddometer: 334

Just to remind you guys, I believe I was the first F800 owner to experience a wheel bearing failure at speed. 70 fricken MPH!

I almost soiled my RP2's It isn't really funny though

My bike sustained damage to the tune of a new swing arm, hub, rotor, rotor bracket, abs sensor, axle, abs ring and of coarse the bearings were toast.

About $5000.00 with labor

My bike was fully loaded down for 2 weeks camping and riding in Colorado when this happened.

The bike was a real bitch to control and it damned near high sided me off of the mountain pass. ( I was coming down)

Check your bearings often!

Glen

or tmex...

tmex
Beastly Adventurer

[IMG]image.php?u=27599&dateline=1164757515[/IMG]

Oddometer: 1,284

Quote..."Yes. I was traveling much slower than RC (maybe 40-50 mph) going through a left hander when mine let loose. I had an anxious moment or two getting the bike stopped and off to the side of the road, and I do ride like a ballerina. This failure could be very serious if it occurred at speeds near triple digits. Be careful out there until this situation gets resolved.''

or what's with these dealers??? i ask???
what's with these dealers????
and the advice they give or NOT give

BWOE......

[IMG]images/statusiconCrash/post_old.gif[/IMG] 10-11-2009, 10:10 PM #544
Bayner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309

It seems some dealers are funny that way. I had an obviously chewed up bearing in my hand when I talked to my dealer. I wanted to know if he had to replace the bearing (again) himself to maintain the warranty or not. He said he was fine with me riding on it if I was ok with it. Warranty was no problem down the road either.
What amazed me most was how little he seemed to care about the matter. For straight revenue I would think these dealers would be swapping out any bearings that were remotely suspect, especially those that are failing at low mileage. And it's a fine line from a liability standpoint every time they have a wheel off to not be spinning the bearings to double check things are fine. Maybe once they've found a few more gone south in my area he won't be looking at me like I'm fucking retarded next time I walk in there....(but I won't hold my breath!)

or?????
[IMG]images/statusiconCrash/post_old.gif[/IMG] Yesterday, 08:51 PM #589
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG]image.php?u=112749&dateline=1252037043[/IMG]

Oddometer: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
I dropped my wheel of at the dealer today. I don't like the feel of the bearings, but I'm sure they will say all is well.
I borrowed a bearing tool and will replace the bearings if my dealer doesn't do anything.

I took mine in too as they felt gritty. The dealer said no failure yet so they can't replace them. If they had failed or there was significant movement in the wheel then they would replace. I pointed out there was no lubrication and the gritty feel. No luck.....

does it have to FAIL FIRST???,,do we need a fatality or?????

folks tell me what i am missing in this conversation....

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 12:07 AM
Old 10-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #23
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
What kind of connections do you have with BMW, Woody. We need someone other than us "peasants" to start pushing the issue...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #24
classyfun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Spec a Different size bearing

I have been following this thread from the start. It is great that people have dedicated so much time to find out what the problem is.

Would it be possible to spec a smaller circumference bearing instead of machining the hub?

I am no expert but have worked on heavy equipment most of my life and this seems plausable.

If I am thinking in the wrong direction I apologize.

Thanks Woody and Everyone for all their efforts!
classyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #25
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Woody... what would you charge to fix this issue if we sent you our rear wheel?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #26
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Thanks a bunch Woody...good to have someone with your skills looking into this. I'm laid up and rides must be kept to commute but when the wheels need a beefing up, this rider knows where to turn.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #27
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Yah woody. Thanks a ton!!!
(A machinist buddy actually suggested going with a c4 bearing but I couldn't get a double sealed specimen)

At my local dealer I honestly feel like someone would have to die for them to give a crap. They certainly would not investigate the cause, they're too busy for that when they can just blame it on your riding, or the conditions or whatever they come up with. I don't find they give a flyin frack unless the stink you are raising is likely to deter some sap who's about to open his wallet to shell out for a new ride. Then you're suddenly the squeaky wheel...
I wish I had better experiences to relate.
Corporate will only care when their bean counters tell them it's become an issue.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #28
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Woody's Responses

Woody will be in and out of computer access for the next two weeks. He's out in the boondocks on his Vermont farm winterizing it. So if he does not respond immediately, that's why. If you need anything from the shop or have any questions, feel free to e-mail: woodyswheelworks@gmail.com or call the number below.

Thanks,
Chris

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 09:33 AM
Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #29
tourbikes.com
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
same problem exists on the F800 S

I have a F 800 S in my rental fleet that has been in the shop for the last two months waiting for a new hub, swingarm etc. A rider dropped it off after a rental and when I went to move it , it wouldn't roll. Thank god he made it back. At first they wouldn't warranty it because the bearing was a wear item but after I pointed out that at the 24k I specifically told them there might be some problem and to look it over and also change the belt, they agreed to warranty the problem. I'm still waiting. I think I'll have Woody check my 800 GS. Has anybody seen this problem on the F650 twins?
tourbikes.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #30
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourbikes.com
I have a F 800 S in my rental fleet that has been in the shop for the last two months waiting for a new hub, swingarm etc. A rider dropped it off after a rental and when I went to move it , it wouldn't roll. Thank god he made it back. At first they wouldn't warranty it because the bearing was a wear item but after I pointed out that at the 24k I specifically told them there might be some problem and to look it over and also change the belt, they agreed to warranty the problem. I'm still waiting. I think I'll have Woody check my 800 GS. Has anybody seen this problem on the F650 twins?
I've been compiling a list over in the "Wheel Bearing Disintegrates" thread over in Beasts. Thus far, only one 650 twin owner has come forward with a failed bearing. Since it's a different hub (entire wheel actually), hopefully that was just an isolated incident.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote