Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #46
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrywhiteguy View Post
So....do all f 800 GS suffer this fate or is it a small run of hubs. I have an 09 with 17000 km on it with no bearing issues....shoudl i be worrying or are some fine?
Not all do. It's confined mostly to the '09 model year, although there have been a few '10 bikes as well. I have not heard of any '11 bearings failing. On the bikes with the incorrect hub bore, they seem to fail sooner rather than later so if you've got over 10,000 miles and they haven't failed you may be lucky (I'd still check them every time I switched tires).
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #47
BluWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Not all do. It's confined mostly to the '09 model year, although there have been a few '10 bikes as well. I have not heard of any '11 bearings failing. On the bikes with the incorrect hub bore, they seem to fail sooner rather than later so if you've got over 10,000 miles and they haven't failed you may be lucky (I'd still check them every time I switched tires).
Mine is an 11. They failed at 3994 miles.
BOA #166285
BluWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #48
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWolf View Post
Mine is an 11. They failed at 3994 miles.
There had to be a first! Sorry to hear it though as I had hoped BMW had fixed the problem. Apparently not.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 10-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #49
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
mine failed.... '11
Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #50
angrywhiteguy
i wanna ride!

Oddometer: 154
How many km when it failed?
angrywhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #51
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
mine failed.... '11
You don't count Ben. Yours probably failed due to Mongolia or something like that.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #52
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,299
figuring out the truth...

Quote:
mine failed.... '11
here's alink to a post in tmex's original thread on this subject,,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1305

FYI,,,i'm curious to know which bearing went first....theoretically the bearing with the most crush should go first...so in the original scenario that was the disc side bearing that was .00015 too tight,,,the sprocket side was .001'' too tight so it went later...

scenario 2 came last year when we found that the new hubs that finally showed up in the supply system[FYI,,there were no replacement hubs available at all from the very beginning,which prompted me to build billet hubs for this model,,,],,,when measured they corrected the disc side to oem specs BUT the sprocket side still sported a .001'' too tight bore,,,,

soooo ,,,until we actually measure the bores it will be a crap shoot as to figuring out the TRUTH

ya'll keep posting and or stop by and help me help you figre out what's truly cooking

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #53
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You don't count Ben. Yours probably failed due to Mongolia or something like that.
or the road of bones....

mine happened on the disk side

woody I'll make you a deal..... I'll send you my rear wheel.... you send me a 18" tubeless in return?

OH..... I'll add cash to the trade!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #54
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
or the road of bones....

mine happened on the disk side

woody I'll make you a deal..... I'll send you my rear wheel.... you send me a 18" tubeless in return?

Interesting that it too failed on the disc side. I'm now convinced that BMW is clueless about this and have not changed anything since the '09 models.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #55
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Rx and 18'' tubeless upgrade...on that F800GS rear...

Quote:
or the road of bones....

mine happened on the disk side very interesting,,,my take is that they never fully purged the defective hubs from the system,,however there appear to be less and less incidents of disc side failures and more sprocket side failures but at greater intervals....

PLEASE keep in mind that there are thousands of F800GSs with no bearing issues...and that of course contributes to your insanity and insecurity...you all have to keep passing the word...ie ''Pssst,,,check your bearings every time you do a tire change...gotta be 'smooth as silk',,,no notchiness...end of story

10-4,,,it's all do-able,,,did ya see what YetiGS had to say in the other thread???

hope ya don't mind sharing your Quote with Mf...

''You can do one of two things:

1) Check them every 3,000 miles or so and worry in the meantime; OR

2) Send your wheel to Woody and have him fix the improper bore on the hub. (And have him make it tubless at the same time. )

BMW has so far refused to acknowledge that some of the hubs are out of spec so all they will do is replace the bearings every time they fail.

I chose option 2 and couldn't be happier. Best $200 I've spent on the bike. __________________''

need i say more
woody

OBTW,,,,and that included truing /torquing the rear spokes to spec,,,a must do before doing the sealing the process,,,,that way your seal will last way longer,,and of course superlacing that 18'' rim will probably be th elast time you ever touch your rear spokes
woody
Old 10-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #56
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

well when my bike gets stateside I'll be sending stuff your way woody..... still loving the front you laced for me
Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #57
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
OBTW,,,,and that included truing /torquing the rear spokes to spec,,,a must do before doing the sealing the process,,,,that way your seal will last way longer,,and of course superlacing that 18'' rim will probably be th elast time you ever touch your rear spokes
woody
Yeah, I forgot that part...
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #58
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
2010 F800GS rear bearings failed at 8700 mi

Hi all,

I was hoping that I would be lucky and not have this particular, aparently common, problem with my 800GS, but, I was changing my rear tire today and my left and middle rear wheel bearings are toast. I am able to turn them with my finger only a fraction and it feels like it has rocks in the works. The seals look fine. I suppose I should go ahead and remove the front to make sure of them. I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow.

Man, I've owned about 50 motorcycles and I have never, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER had a wheel bearing fail on a bike before, much less two at the same time. BMW needs to wake up.

RJ
Old 04-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #59
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

hey woody,

So I am ready to send you my wheel

questions

1) how long is the downtime?
2) do I REALLY need a billet hub? or, can I just have you fix my OEM hub and be good?
(I can honestly say I've never seen a busted hub.... besides bearings - I've dented rims a lot on my old gasgas but never damaged a hub)

So can you superlace, with heavy duty spokes, a tubeless 18" black excel 2.5" rim to my stock hub?

also how much?

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #60
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

oem rear hub superlaced to 2.5 x18 tubeless + check bearings,,$$=???

Quote:
hey woody,

So I am ready to send you my wheel

questions

1) how long is the downtime? a few days if all the parts are in ,,an extra week if we don't have something,,this stuff goes in n outta here in waves ,,kinda like bio-rythms,,,,,calling in or sending ina www e-mail we'll get the process going /reserve the parts we ahve for ya,,order inwhat we don't have...keeps your down time down and my reputatation up LOL
2) do I REALLY need a billet hub? NO,,we only recommend going that way because of greater sprocket availability and strength
or, can I just have you fix my OEM hub and be good?minimally you'll want us to check the bearings and bore,,, since we'll take it apart for th esuperlace n true we only charge $50 for the fix versus $99 with an assembled wheel[easier MO.
(I can honestly say I've never seen a busted hub.... besides bearings neither have we,,'cept for the really messed up ones that blew everything up...once we check bore for proper crush,,waterproof seal your bearings you are good to go with peace of mind- I've dented rims a lot on my old gasgas but never damaged a hub)

So can you superlace, with heavy duty spokes, a tubeless 18" black excel 2.5" rim to my stock hub?

also how much?circa $600-700 in satin black double sig excel

woody