Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
email sent woody
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #62
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Are the shaft seals perishable? Do they need replacing when changing bearings or can you reuse the old ones?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #63
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,299
bearing seals perishable???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
Are the shaft seals perishable? Do they need replacing when changing bearings or can you reuse the old ones?

bearing seals are considered a consumable item,,,their life dependendent on how much dirt,grunge ,water,get mixed together t to decrease their lifespan,,or how clean ya keep em to extend their süan,,,we routinely change em when they no longer have tension on thr axle and or spacers they ride on,,,
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #64
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
bearing seals are considered a consumable item,,,their life dependendent on how much dirt,grunge ,water,get mixed together t to decrease their lifespan,,or how clean ya keep em to extend their süan,,,we routinely change em when they no longer have tension on thr axle and or spacers they ride on,,,
woody
Thanks. I'll order some seals as well then.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #65
vudu_52
Black Magic

Oddometer: 113
Spacer size Disk side

I've misplaced by disk side spacer. It may take some time to get a replacement so I was hoping someone on this forum/thread may know the physical size of that spacer so I can get a machine shop to make a replacement. Desperate for riding this weekend......

"Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own." Jubal Harshaw

vudu_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #66
vudu_52
Black Magic

Oddometer: 113
Found it, thanks.....

I found it. It had dropped out when I leant the wheel against a step ladder.
It was sitting on the bottom rung.

"Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own." Jubal Harshaw

vudu_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #67
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,299
Holler if ya need one,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu_52 View Post
I've misplaced by disk side spacer. It may take some time to get a replacement so I was hoping someone on this forum/thread may know the physical size of that spacer so I can get a machine shop to make a replacement. Desperate for riding this weekend......
Tried to answer earlier,,but my I-Pad ran out of juice,,,,we would have sent ya one,,,but as ijust read,,lucky you,,ya found it,,,,

The spacer should be held in plus with the tension of the seal lips
,,,,once they wear down due to dirt/ .moisture making a rubbing compound,,,the lips get loose and seals drop out readily,,,hence time to replace em...

On another note,,, returning to the main topic of this thread,,when seals fall out easily tis a warning that your bearing is wearing out,,,so keep on checking those disc side bearings especially,,they usually are the first to go...

Of course banging into stuff doesn't help much to keep your spacer from getting knocked out

So go ride and enjoy your self,,
Woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 08:42 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #68
Javier800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Crappy cheap bearings on the BMW F800GS

Last Friday I was doing an offroad trail (100kms to go plus 100kms to come back) and when I was right at the end of the track I started hearing a strange noise down there. I thought it was may be the tension of the chain, but I checked it and it looked alright. Even if it had been a little loose it woulnd't have done such a noise. So I had to do another 100kms offroad trail back home, and when I was at only 10kms from my house, with the sun set, almost dark, riding at 70-80 kph in fourth gear I lost power suddenly, stopped and realized that the chain was out due to a bearings failure. The right bearing of the back wheel was completely desintegrated, the hub had moved out and the chain had come out generating a complete mess and a lot of damage down there, including the swingarm which was completely damaged.

My bike is 20 months old, still under guarantee, and 35.000 kms on the odometer. When they toed it to the BMW dealer on Monday I claimed guarantee repair and they were complaining about stupid things such as that I had changed the exhaust or the front wheel rim (stock is the most crappy thing you see on a dual sport bike)...

I think it is a shame for a company like BMW to mount such a crappy bearing which now I am reading that it fails in most cases a lot earlier that they would be supposed to do. How can they mount such cheap bad quality things on an expensive "state of the art" dual sport bike? And knowing that, trying to blame me for the failure to get away of the guarentee is just sick.

I love the bike, but it is a shame they mount crappy components. BMW repautation for me is no longer credible. Shame on them