Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
BushWacker Rob OP
BushWacker

Oddometer: 69
Garmin Zumo 550 will not power up in the cradle

My Zumo 550 worked great for 2 yrs, but now it will not power up in the motorcycle or auto cradle. Checked with a volt meter and the cradle does get power but the zumo will only run on battery power. Cleaned the connectors and still no power. Has this happened to anyone else? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 1,726
First, make sure that you have the latest unit software installed in your 550, then place your Zumo 550 in the cradle and hold down the Zoom + and the Power key at same time for at least 5 seonds to reset the unit, this should remedy the problem with it not powering up when in the cradle.

If not, pop the battery out for at least a minute and repeat.

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
BushWacker Rob OP
BushWacker

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately it did not work. Any other suggestions? Would rather not have to buy a new GPS.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Pedalpusher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Ye, this has happened to me. Check all the pins. Sometimes they get pushed down and don't connect with the unit. I uses a small set of pliers to pull them back up. Fix and works. Hopefully this helps you too.
cannondale.com - trackdaz.com
Pedalpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
jwd98056
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
There have also been reports of cradle failures of this nature. I am on my third cradle because of audio problems but I have not had the failure to power the Zumo problem yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
IBA #32756 - BMWMOA #122647
'05 BMW R1200GS - Desert Yellow (Brutus)
'12 HD Road Glide Ultra - Ember Red Sunglow (JD'sRoad)
'02 HD Heritage Softail - Custom Paint (JDsHog)
jwd98056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 1,726
You have narrowed the problem down to to an issue with the cradle, if you can't lift the contacts so they make a good connection then you'll need to replace the cradle.

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
bombarde
DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer: 260
Get a good contact cleaner like Caig De-Oxit or Pro-Gold. Clean the pins once a month. Repeat. Problem solved.
bombarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
BushWacker Rob OP
BushWacker

I don't think the cradle is the problem.... it won't power up in either the new motorcycle cradle or the auto cradle. I'll try a cleaner and see if that helps.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
PhilLynot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Try plugging the 550 into your computer with a USB cord. It should charge up by this method.

Something like this happened to me once and Garmin said the 550 needs to be charged periodically by USB to get the batteries back to a fully charged state.
PhilLynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
ScorpioVI
Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer: 489
A couple of weeks ago I had this issue. Or something even worse. One night the Zumo was working fine. Left it on the kitchen counter overnight, went to ride to work the next morning and put it in the cradle and the damn thing wouldn't power up. I thought it was just the cradle but when I took it off and tried to power it on manually it wouldn't work either.

When I got home I put it on the wall charger. No joy. In a panic that I wouldn't have my Zumo for a weekend trip that's coming up, I fired off an e-mail to Garmin support. Two days go by, no reply from Garmin (it was a weekend) so I decided to play around with it some more and hooked the 550 up to the computer via USB. And it fired right up!

Still no response from Garmin customer service 2 weeks later...
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
mdsn969
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,633
Ok guys, this is the dreaded Zumo 550 lock-up problem. Usually it is associated with firmware revision 4.70, but it can be a problem with earlier versions.

Simply remove the battery for a few minutes, reinstall and you should be fine until the next lock-up. (Sorry I don't remember the allen wrench size)

Supposedly Garmin is working on a fix, but I would not hold my breath.

Leave the battery out overnight, this sometimes works as well...

"It is impossible to have an intellectual exchange of thought with someone who has renounced reason." Gorilla King
mdsn969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI
A couple of weeks ago I had this issue. Or something even worse. One night the Zumo was working fine. Left it on the kitchen counter overnight, went to ride to work the next morning and put it in the cradle and the damn thing wouldn't power up. I thought it was just the cradle but when I took it off and tried to power it on manually it wouldn't work either.

When I got home I put it on the wall charger. No joy. In a panic that I wouldn't have my Zumo for a weekend trip that's coming up, I fired off an e-mail to Garmin support. Two days go by, no reply from Garmin (it was a weekend) so I decided to play around with it some more and hooked the 550 up to the computer via USB. And it fired right up!

Still no response from Garmin customer service 2 weeks later...
Did you charge it with a non-Garmin wall charger?

This will cause it to go into mass storage mode and it won't come out until a PC comes to negotiate with it.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #13
BushWacker Rob OP
BushWacker

Zumo works fine on battery power. Will not receive power from either the motorcycle or auto cradle. All connector pins look fine and I have even cleaned the pins.
Have taken out the battery twice and charged the unit over night using the USB computer cable.
Still will only run on battery power when in the cradle. I might have to bite the bullet and send my Zumo back to Garmin for repair.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
mdsn969
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxWorld
Zumo works fine on battery power. Will not receive power from either the motorcycle or auto cradle. All connector pins look fine and I have even cleaned the pins.
Have taken out the battery twice and charged the unit over night using the USB computer cable.
Still will only run on battery power when in the cradle. I might have to bite the bullet and send my Zumo back to Garmin for repair.
Bad cradle???

"It is impossible to have an intellectual exchange of thought with someone who has renounced reason." Gorilla King
mdsn969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
sparkbox
slightly off schedule

Oddometer: 27
Possible Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxWorld
My Zumo 550 worked great for 2 yrs, but now it will not power up in the motorcycle or auto cradle. Checked with a volt meter and the cradle does get power but the zumo will only run on battery power. Cleaned the connectors and still no power. Has this happened to anyone else? Any help would be appreciated.

I had this problem remove the battery rub the contacts with an emery cloth or a pencil eraser. Next finish cleaning them with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Then bend the terminals out (be careful not to break) so they make a better contact.

http://www.bmwgsrider.com/
sparkbox is offline   Reply With Quote