Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
71olds OP
Motorholic

Oddometer: 1,084
Help with Husqvarna TE510 suspension settings

OK I am a suspension noob & I need help a lot of help

I will preface this with I am old fat & slow 5'11 225lbs 43 years old

Last year I bought a 2008 Husqvarna TE510 used From a dealer (but was a fellow adv riders bike)

The PO told me the fork seals were starting to leak so I told the dealer to fix them but do not know how they set it up after the new seals.

Anyway last year I rode some sand & the bike felt stable but a little stiff today I went out in the North Jersey rocks with a group & oh my god it kicked the crap out of me.

after 15 min of kicking my ass an A rider swaped bikes with me let me use his ktm 450 xcw set up for rocks (with a rekluce god I loved the reckluse) & I was like a new man it just soaked up the rocks & I was able to keep up.

We we got back ( & yes he was still faster then me on my poorly set up bike) I was talking to him we noticed that my forks are so stiff I am not using the last 4-5 inches of travel. back felt pretty good & sag is "not bad" per him but front has almost no sag & is stiff as a board,

So I am asking help how do I adjust preload compression & I know rebound is the little clickers on top but dont know what to do with them,

honestly I feel more confident on my drz400 the husky is just so harsh,

Also would love to lower it an inch or two

Thanks everyone after I switched bikes I had a blast but before I wanted to shoot the bike.
00 Suzuki DRZ400S
71olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,200
Mine is very harsh also. I run my front compression 2 clicks from all the way out. I keep threatening to send my boingers out for revalving and springs...but can't afford it.

Get way up on that gas tank, and ride it faster/harder.

You'll get better response over at Cafe Husky
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71olds View Post
OK I am a suspension noob & I need help a lot of help

I will preface this with I am old fat & slow 5'11 225lbs 43 years old

Last year I bought a 2008 Husqvarna TE510 used From a dealer (but was a fellow adv riders bike)

The PO told me the fork seals were starting to leak so I told the dealer to fix them but do not know how they set it up after the new seals.

Anyway last year I rode some sand & the bike felt stable but a little stiff today I went out in the North Jersey rocks with a group & oh my god it kicked the crap out of me.

after 15 min of kicking my ass an A rider swaped bikes with me let me use his ktm 450 xcw set up for rocks (with a rekluce god I loved the reckluse) & I was like a new man it just soaked up the rocks & I was able to keep up.

We we got back ( & yes he was still faster then me on my poorly set up bike) I was talking to him we noticed that my forks are so stiff I am not using the last 4-5 inches of travel. back felt pretty good & sag is "not bad" per him but front has almost no sag & is stiff as a board,

So I am asking help how do I adjust preload compression & I know rebound is the little clickers on top but dont know what to do with them,

honestly I feel more confident on my drz400 the husky is just so harsh,

Also would love to lower it an inch or two

Thanks everyone after I switched bikes I had a blast but before I wanted to shoot the bike.

i totally agree with you about it being a harsh ride. i rode in imates ktm 500 yesterday and it was like riding on a cloud compared to the husky. so that got me thinking about getting suspension work done. i know a few people that used http://www.werproducts.net/ for their suspension work and they were was pleased with the work. i think i may have to get it done because it was a night and day difference riding the ktm.
plus it will be a lot cheaper to get husky set up right then to drink the orange koolaid and but a new ktm 500 exc.
my suspension is set at whatever the previous owner had it set at. i haven't messed with it.
so when do you want to come up my way and ride?
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
kjclark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
A few things:

"Harshness" or "stiffness" through the bars is usually a function of spring rate and compression damping (specifically, high speed compression).

Spring rate is based on your weight. I don't know what the stock springs in that bike are, but at your weight the stockers are probably not WAY too stiff. However, don't take my word for it, look up the stock spring rate. RaceTech doesn't have the stock rate for that bike, but they recommend about 0.5 kg/mm. A quick google search says your stock springs are like 0.45, but I can't be sure.

Setting the sag will definitely help. If you have "almost no sag" you need to take some preload out. You want on the order of 3 inches of sag in the front, maybe as much as 4. See what works for you. This all refers to sag with the rider ON the bike.

High speed compression damping is the big one here. There isn't a ton you can do on forks with this with the adjusters (they may help, but will impact low speed compression too), this is where a revalve can really help.

These guys are highly recommended for Huskys: http://lt-racing.com/

Finally, make sure nothing is broken with the forks, obviously.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
A few things:

"Harshness" or "stiffness" through the bars is usually a function of spring rate and compression damping (specifically, high speed compression).

Spring rate is based on your weight. I don't know what the stock springs in that bike are, but at your weight the stockers are probably not WAY too stiff. However, don't take my word for it, look up the stock spring rate. RaceTech doesn't have the stock rate for that bike, but they recommend about 0.5 kg/mm. A quick google search says your stock springs are like 0.45, but I can't be sure.

Setting the sag will definitely help. If you have "almost no sag" you need to take some preload out. You want on the order of 3 inches of sag in the front, maybe as much as 4. See what works for you. This all refers to sag with the rider ON the bike.

High speed compression damping is the big one here. There isn't a ton you can do on forks with this with the adjusters (they may help, but will impact low speed compression too), this is where a revalve can really help.

These guys are highly recommended for Huskys: http://lt-racing.com/

Finally, make sure nothing is broken with the forks, obviously.
i agree with you. the stocker springs are no way too stiff since i am 6'5" 225 lbs. and i really do need to set the sag on my bike but i've never done it before. i would have to assume that i am not using the full potential of the shock/forks and that is what is making it feel harsh.
but the stock ktm felt super plush on the trail.
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,620
Change your fork oil, use BelRay 2.5 weight, you will not believe the difference. My forks were stiff as well, suffering from packing down, I had several wrecks attributed to nothing but the forks. I got the stock oil out, ran some ATF to clean out the gunk, then went with the BelRay 2.5 weight. It's very plush now.

Put a velcro strap around the right fork leg. Set it about 6 inches from the bottom of the tube. Go out and ride some rough stuff, hit some stuff hard. Then look at the velcro, see if it's been pushed to the bottom, to see if you are using all your travel or not.

My forks were handling in the red circle, then I changed to the thin oil, now they handle in the green circle.

AustinJake screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 07:47 PM
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

well a few weeks ago i had drew smith work on my suspension on my bike. due to a crash prior to my suspension being done, i wasn't able to ride the bike until today. i had about an hour of spare time so i suited up and did a few rocky hill climbs and single track.
all i can say is WOW, what a difference it made. its totally a night and day difference from what the bike was stock. it was almost effortless going through all the rocks by me. before i was getting beat up while going on the same trails.
this is probably the best modification i have done on anything i've ever owned before (on my bikes, trucks, quads, etc).
i think its helped me also with my riding while standing up. i'm still having trouble with my throttle control while standing though.
anyway, get your suspension setup by drew, you will be more than happy with it!
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
Old 05-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
Dirtmongrel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclark7 View Post
well a few weeks ago i had drew smith work on my suspension on my bike. due to a crash prior to my suspension being done, i wasn't able to ride the bike until today. i had about an hour of spare time so i suited up and did a few rocky hill climbs and single track.
all i can say is WOW, what a difference it made. its totally a night and day difference from what the bike was stock. it was almost effortless going through all the rocks by me. before i was getting beat up while going on the same trails.
this is probably the best modification i have done on anything i've ever owned before (on my bikes, trucks, quads, etc).
i think its helped me also with my riding while standing up. i'm still having trouble with my throttle control while standing though.
anyway, get your suspension setup by drew, you will be more than happy with it!

KJ, do you know what Drew did? did it need springs or different valving, or was it simple fluid and good clicker/sag settings
Dirtmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmongrel View Post
KJ, do you know what Drew did? did it need springs or different valving, or was it simple fluid and good clicker/sag settings
he told me that he kept the stock front springs because they were correct for my weight (220lbs) and he re-valved the forks. he also said something about putting a mid valve in. he put spectro 85/150 in the forks. as for the rear shock, he replaced the spring for the correct one (stocker was too light) and put a new bladder in the sachs.
he set my sag for me and put the right amount of clicks for the terrain i ride. he was spot on with everything.
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W