Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2004, 04:13 AM   #31
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
I believe Katoum may have removed all of it, including the end cap... so no spark arrestor function at all, just the muffler body.

The fact that it is still quiet Katoum indicates that the muffler body is pretty restrictive and the end discs were in fact acting mostly as a spark arrestor rather than sound/airflow control device.
Many of the people that have opted to retain their stock '03 muffler have hole-sawed out the center core, and some have drilled multiple large holes around it's circumference as well.
Mine is sitting in a cabinet in the garage... real quiet in there.

Creep

OK, I git it now. Sorry, Katoum.

Creeper, my plan has been to make a new airbox lid, add discs to the 'Trapp and rejet--after riding it stock for a while, so I'll appreciate the changes more. From what you're saying, I'm wondering if it's worth it to mess with the stock silencer. But at this point, I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks on an aftermarket silencer if the main benefit is saving 5 pounds. First priority is getting the ergos sorted (I'm 6'4").

How many discs and what jetting are you using with your IDS2? Do you think it gives a real performance advantage over stock+discs?

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:41 AM   #32
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Stobie, in case you have not found it yet, below is a link (post 23) with some comments on making the 640 ADV fit those of us in the 6'4" range. Sadly it is not cheap to really set up the bike right, but fortunately it is possible.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=44471&page=2

MComstock modified his Supertrap (IIRC) he removed all the disks and holed out the core, it sounded better, healthy but not too loud. Still at the KTMtalk discount of $230 I think you guys would be pretty happy with the SXC Comp or at $255 the SXC Supermoto (the later for mostly street riding or states like Texas where noise is not really the issue it is out West.) Since most riders end up paying full retail, I would think you could run the silencer for a while, and still get most of your money back out via eBay, etc.

For those of you making your own airbox sidecover, I would think you would want to duplicate the size and placement of the screened intake hole as close to the Sommer/KTM part as practical. Sommer has a rep for thorough dyno testing of these mods to find what works best.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:15 AM   #33
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Thanks, Mack.

I'm thinking Pastrana FMX bars w/Emig clamps along with the Fastways. I think the Emig clamps can be configured to allow use of a steering damper, but I still have more research to do.

-Albert Einstein
Old 08-25-2004, 06:52 AM   #34
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
OK, I git it now. Sorry, Katoum.

Creeper, my plan has been to make a new airbox lid, add discs to the 'Trapp and rejet--after riding it stock for a while, so I'll appreciate the changes more. From what you're saying, I'm wondering if it's worth it to mess with the stock silencer. But at this point, I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks on an aftermarket silencer if the main benefit is saving 5 pounds. First priority is getting the ergos sorted (I'm 6'4").

How many discs and what jetting are you using with your IDS2? Do you think it gives a real performance advantage over stock+discs?
Stobie,
I can't comment on the performance of a modified stocker muffler... never did it. Sure would be cheap to do though.
Did the side cover, jetting and IDS2 all at once... hard to say what provided the biggest benefit.
The usual jetting for BST, 160 MJ (variable), drill the slide vac ports to .110" - .125", 4th from the top needle groove.
The quiet core IDS2 is no longer available anyway... only the race core version which I heard is real loud with more than 4 discs.
Making a side cover is real easy. As Mack said, keep to similar dimensions on the opening... about 4-5 square inches or so, bigger is not better.
Here is a shot of an older one I made, CF and cheezy chicken wire
Latest version uses 6 UNI filter pop-ins.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #35
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
I have been seriously considering removing those 3 allen bolts and having a peek in my stock can. Any advice from those more learned than me, or even Creeper?
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #36
Katoum OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
I have been seriously considering removing those 3 allen bolts and having a peek in my stock can. Any advice from those more learned than me, or even Creeper?
Would you do that for us. I personally would benefit from the info, as I was to late in cancelling my order for the Sparky (SXC Stock) but if no benefit I can send it back and eat the 15% restocking fee, plus shipping. Thanks in advance.
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:27 PM   #37
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Thanks for the info, Creeper.

I think I'll add plates to the stocker until I see an exhaust that really turns my crank. I will not have anything that needs to be repacked.

-Albert Einstein
Old 08-26-2004, 12:46 AM   #38
Converted Soul
On the search dude

Oddometer: 288
"I will not have anything that needs to be repacked."

Then you'll have to stay with the original. All aftermarket exhaust systems for the LC/4 are absorption mufflers, the original is the reflection type.
- absorption is where the shock waves are absorped by pores material. When the pores material isn't pores anymore then the shock waves will come through undamped.
- reflection is where the energie of the shock waves is slowly decreased by leading the gasses through chambers and pipes, thus reducing the pressure in the gasses.

Engine exhaust noise comes from the highly compressed gasses being suddenly expanded in atmospheric air, not from the burning gasses in the combustion chamber. Just like an inflated ballon that is pierced, which gives a loud pop.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:43 AM   #39
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted Soul
"I will not have anything that needs to be repacked."

Then you'll have to stay with the original.
1) Supertrapp has other products that fit or can be made to fit the LC4. No packing.

2) Remus and Staintune both claim that their mufflers never need repacking. Are they full of crap?

-Albert Einstein
Old 08-26-2004, 10:19 AM   #40
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Packing....

Quote:
2) Remus and Staintune both claim that their mufflers never need repacking. Are they full of crap?
Odd....I thought they used fiberglass for packing

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:47 PM   #41
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Looking at my standard exhaust there is stuff that looks an awful lot like fibreglass wadding making its way between the end cap and the outer of the exhaust.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:56 PM   #42
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
Looking at my standard exhaust there is stuff that looks an awful lot like fibreglass wadding making its way between the end cap and the outer of the exhaust.
You know Buck... after reading your discription of your muffler, I don't think you have the same muffler we got in the US on '03 bikes, which was a reflection type muffler with a Supertrapp spark arrestor assy. on the end.
If you have any packing at all, your bike may have some sort of Euro only... or possibly some kind of KTM "sport" muffler.
Can you post a photo when you get a chance?

Curious in Seattle
Old 08-27-2004, 02:35 AM   #43
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Doesn't the akra push the RPM's
Nope, I have an Akra and the powerband is smoother (no dips) and top speed increased, torque increased and picks up sooner.
From what I've read and from what I know from experience the Akrapovic is worth every penny. Sure it costs tons but you won't find better.
The Akra makes the bike more aggressive, meaning in the dirt you'll gonna have to be gentle on the throttle as the extra power (10 hp on my bike with akra, airbox mod and jetting) means the bike can rocketeer at a gentle twist of the wrist...

If you can save, do it, it's worth it... believe me!
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:10 AM   #44
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Odd....I thought they used fiberglass for packing

CC

No wonder they call them "Stain"tunes.

-Albert Einstein
Old 08-27-2004, 04:23 AM   #45
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Quote:
Thanks, Mack.

I'm thinking Pastrana FMX bars w/Emig clamps along with the Fastways. I think the Emig clamps can be configured to allow use of a steering damper, but I still have more research to do.
Stobie, At your height of 6'4", I think you would really appreciate the Sommer underbar damper mount, it will give you a 1 & 5/8ths inch rise. (This is the setup shown in KTM's damper mount thread.)