Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2004, 08:20 PM   #46
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Stobie, At your height of 6'4", I think you would really appreciate the Sommer underbar damper mount, it will give you a 1 & 5/8ths inch rise. (This is the setup shown in KTM's damper mount thread.)
Unless I misunderstand, the Emig clamps can give 1.4", 1.7", or 2.0" higher than stock. They cost $55 or $90, depending on whether or not you want the two- or one-piece top clamp. Apparently the one-piece clamp is stronger and will work with Emig's soon-to-be-released steering damper.

Look here and here .

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:29 PM   #47
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
Unless I misunderstand, the Emig clamps can give 1.4", 1.7", or 2.0" higher than stock. They cost $55 or $90, depending on whether or not you want the two- or one-piece top clamp. Apparently the one-piece clamp is stronger and will work with Emig's soon-to-be-released steering damper...................

Old 09-02-2004, 05:22 PM   #48
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
You know Buck... after reading your discription of your muffler, I don't think you have the same muffler we got in the US on '03 bikes, which was a reflection type muffler with a Supertrapp spark arrestor assy. on the end.
If you have any packing at all, your bike may have some sort of Euro only... or possibly some kind of KTM "sport" muffler.
Can you post a photo when you get a chance?

Curious in Seattle
Photo day tomorrow, got my camera back again. For what it is worth, the wadding seems to have compacted somewhat now, sounds quite a lot deeper now and the power delivery has come alive, it seemed to do this suddenly.
Not that I'm complaining.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 04:16 PM   #49
Buckster
Banned

'04 U.K. pipe

The can
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #50
Buckster
Banned

another angle showing the collector box
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #51
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
looks like the supercrapp shape, with a nice aluminum case. do you like it?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:23 AM   #52
Buckster
Banned

It works and is now sounding quite nice, still want a Ti unit though. I think it is Stainless Steel.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:27 AM   #53
Buckster
Banned

Plus there is wadding in there, no discs.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:03 AM   #54
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Packed eh? Looks just like mine but with a brushed finish instead of chromed. I wonder why they left the discs behind...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:33 AM   #55
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Finally, my backordered SXC Comp muffler (58305081300) arrived and I quickly and easily bolted it up in place of the stock Supertrapp on my 2000 Adv. Lovely looking and about half the weight - someone earlier measured and said you go from about 14 lbs to 8 lbs.

It sounds slightly quieter than the SuperTrapp with 12 discs. Which I like, but if you're looking for more bark, this isn't your pipe. Overall, it runs about the same. I don't think it added any power, but along with the screened airbox cover mod, this mod continued to dramatically smooth the reponse off the low-end. My bike used to be VERY snatchy below 3K, but now pulls smootly from 2K.

With airbox and exhaust work completeld, now time to refine the jetting - I'm running pretty lean, althoug the 50+ mpg is nice.

Definitely recommended if you're looking for a quiet pipe that helps the low-end pull, looks good, and is lighter. Not the pipe to get if you're looking for more bark or power.

Cheers,

- Mark

P.S. In looking back at the pictures posted earlier, my SXC Comp muffler looks like the one pictured, but I note that the rear hanger looks like the SuperMoto one with a large open hole that looks like it should take some kind of bushing, whereas the SXC Comp muffler seems to have the bushing. I had no issue bolting the "big hole" up to the hangar on the bike, but it would work better if I had the bushing since the only thing going through the huge hole is a small 6mm bolt. Anybody know what bushing I need? I'll make one up if they're not readily available.

markjenn screwed with this post 09-04-2004 at 10:39 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:02 AM   #56
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
The can
Here is what I'm thinking. It is the same pre-muffler as the US version but then rather than a Supertrapp spark arrestor, some sort of glass-pak end piece. The US mufflers are polished stainless all the way back, and say "Supertrapp" on them.
You should take 'er appart Buck and see if there is any potential for modification.... or, just tell me to fuck off, and go get your Ti kit.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:18 PM   #57
Buckster
Banned

OK, fuck off Creeper!

As I never leave well alone, and as an engineer and physicist do not like not knowing what is inside stuff, I will be taking the can apart.

Pictures to follow.

I cannot afford the Ti' kit yet anyway, but I cannot resist an offer like that Creep.

Stock can is a high grade steel by the way with very low ferrous content judging by the low magnetic attraction it displays.

Buckster screwed with this post 09-04-2004 at 02:42 PM
Old 09-04-2004, 02:40 PM   #58
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
OK, fuck off Creeper!

As I never leave well alone, and as an engineer and physicist do not like not knowing what is inside stuff, I will be taking the can apart.

Pictures to follow.

I cannot afford the Ti' kit yet anyway, but I cannot resist an offer like that Creep.
Anytime... don't even need an invite
Old 09-04-2004, 03:01 PM   #59
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Markjenn, Isn't the low end response and vibe reduction amazing? Just wait until you lug it up a steep grade, the low end is seriously wicked. It saddens me to think of all the ADV owners that never discover this, hence they often get rid of their bikes due to the vibes, never even knowing what they could have had, sad, very sad!

As I understand it the Sommer mod for the SXC Comp is to cut 30mm off the endcaps internal baffle pipe, it is said to flow a tad better and has just enough bark. I have been planning to try this mod myself at some point, as I now have the SXC comp to try in place of my Supermoto can. I found a 165 main to be perfect, I would think a 160 to 165 would be what you would need.

Mack screwed with this post 09-04-2004 at 03:11 PM
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:51 PM   #60
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
I've been screwing with my 2000 Adv R intake, exhaust, and jetting since I bought it in Dec of last year. I wasn't interested in a louder or faster bike, just a smoother bike with less vibes and smoother power delivery. The previous owner had raised the BST's needle one notch, added a few discs to the SuperTrapp, and went up from a 142.5 to a 145 jet, but it felt rough and snatchy at times.

I think I'm done:

+ KTM screened side cover, snorkel under seat left on
+ SXC Comp muffler (58305081300), pre-muffler remains
+ 155 main jet
+ 4th clip on needle
+ 2.5 turns on idle fuel screw

I just guessed on the main jet based on other's experiences - it ran fine with 145, but I could tell it was a little lean. A lot of people like you Mack, think a 160 or 165 is where to be, but I think many are running a more open pipe. It migth make more power on a bigger jet, but it runs extremely well on the 155 and I think I'll like the gas mileage - I'm going to leave it there for awhile. (BTW, I took the old jet into the local boutique Harley dealer and he was able to match it up in no time and the price was right at $3. It is not exactly expensive to try another jet some time.)

When I swapped the pipe out, I started getting a very slight backfire on decel, but opening up the idle fuel screw 3/4 of a turn cured that completely (and raised my idle rpm 400 - it definitely wasn't getting enough idle fuel). I could probably also improve the low end a bit more by richening up the pilot jet, but this jet is more work to get too and I'm happy for now.

When I bought the bike last Dec it ran well, but seemed slightly breathless on top, vibrated badly at times, and was very snatchy in power delivery, essentially requiring one to keep the revs above 3.5K at all times, even on trailing throttle. It now is much smoother throughout the rev band, and can be smoothly lugged to virtually any speed (although big throttle openings below 2.5K are still not a good idea). I'm guessing the top end is N of 100mph, based on the strong pull through 90 or so.

Completely transformed the bike. The airbox change probably made the biggest difference. Well worth the time/expense to get this sorted.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote