User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
950 SE Rally Edition by Braumandl

I have seen a picture of this bike burried in one of the longer SE threads, but I figured it deserved one of it's own. It was displayed at this years Erzberg race and now again at the presentation of the new Pirelli Scorpion Rally tires. Braumandl is one of the larger KTM dealers here in Austria and apparently they do quite a bit of custom work. Might have to stop by there one day to see what else they have in store.

I know that it has Keihin carbs, a carbon rear tank, a modified version of the 690 Rally Replica fairing, low slung dual exhaust, Magura twin radial calipers, offset adjustable triples, PHDS handlebar mounts, steering stabilizer, MD roadbook,.....

If you have any other info or shots of this bike post them here!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,104
I like the prep and fairing work on this "Rallye" bike... but I gotta ask "why" on the under frame exhaust...?

a) there's no rear tanks on it to have to avoid

and

b) there's not sump guard protecting the pipes...?

So, for a "rallye" bike, it seem's that the original SE exhaust system would've fit and kept the twin acra's (more or less) in the same place as they are (stock).

That the pictured exhaust system (together with the Kehin carbs) makes this 950 SE go like a rocket, that I can imagine may be one performance aspect to consider...? But in an off road application...? That design (without adequate protection) is gonna' cop a flogging!

I would love to see this rig with one of Nedruo's two into one exhaust systems, the rear sidepod reserve fuel tank and a Black Dog bashplate on it... that'd be supreme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
From a practical standpoint I absolutely agree with you Troy. With all that bling it's probably meant to be more of a show bike, though.

Is that a stock SE front tank by the way? I can't tell. Here is a pic of the carbon underseat tank:

Old 09-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Showbike...? Rallye bike...?

Hi Lukas

The carbon fibre rear fuell cell is trick... but given it is housed in the perimeter of the rear subframe, I am still at a bit of a loss as to why the "stock" exhaust (albeit with a two into one system) could not have been retained. It would be a far more failsafe and simpler alternative? Still think the Neduro alternative is simpler and more result oriented... but there is no denying... anything carbon fibre is cool .

I tend to agree on your "showbike" diagnosis... there is a lot of exotic bling on the bike and since the advent of the non-twin (now non-450cc plus single) rule in rallies... it is unlikely we will ever see a bike like this in a competition rallye (except maybe an amatuer event like TUAREG perhaps?).

But they have done a nice job on fitting the 690 Rallye fairing and navigation gear (MD Roadbook roller and ICO/tripmeter) on the front of SE.

From what I can see from the pictures, it looks like the standarg 14 liter SE tank, and the have moded the 690 Rallye fairing (similar to the way I did the 950 Adventure fairing on mine) to mount into the SE radiator shroud forward mounting holes. Very neat and tidy.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 09-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
You guys are funny - all debating the practicality of it - you're totally missing the point.

It's a work of art! Is the statue of David practical? How about Warhols Campbell soup painting?

It's a BAD ASSed project bike - who cares if it fits into an FIM class, or if the low-slung exhaust is exposed? Does it look like the people who built it are scrounging their pennies for parts? I'm sure they can afford fix the pipe if it gets a little dented!

I'd kill to have that thing in my stable, that's for sure....
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,180
I want to know where the battery went???
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Mark950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Now that is one sweet looking bike,

mmmmm maybe my 04 silver is requiring some project time
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
That is one SWEET looking bike! But then I look again and think to myself: "It's almost an Adventure!" (Fairing, fuel capacity, rally fender)

Props on the workmanship and bling, but it seems like that us with mortal wallets could get an Adventure S and be right there! But it wouldn't look as cool... I like the orange cam covers.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
You guys are funny - all debating the practicality of it - you're totally missing the point.

It's a work of art! Is the statue of David practical? How about Warhols Campbell soup painting?

It's a BAD ASSed project bike - who cares if it fits into an FIM class, or if the low-slung exhaust is exposed? Does it look like the people who built it are scrounging their pennies for parts? I'm sure they can afford fix the pipe if it gets a little dented!

I'd kill to have that thing in my stable, that's for sure....
Au contraire mon' "Flammy"...

I can appreciate the bike from a "project bike" "showbike" call it what you will aspect... as I referred to a couple of times; the bike no doubt goes like a rocket, looks trick and has some awesome engineering on it (all things that I know you share a passion for)...

BUT... if you put the label "Rallye" on a bike then I (as well as others I am sure) take that to mean that it is the intended application, and that my tinkering guru mate has some practical consequences.

Consequence 1: If you use that exhuast in an offroad/rally application with no under frame protection of any sort, eventually you WILL flatten the thing like the proverbial pancake, and regardles of how wealthy the team or individual that built it is; if THAT happens to you out in the middle of the desert (where most rallies are run) then the only pennies that you will be scrounging up my friend are the ones required to pay a friendly passing bedouin to tow you home behind his donkey...

Is that what you were referring to by BAD ASS... ?

But yes it is cool... agreed.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
chipwich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Very much agreed viola-tor. Notice the trend toward the use of the fastest color, white

chipwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
chipwich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente

Consequence 1: If you use that exhuast in an offroad/rally application with no under frame protection of any sort, eventually you WILL flatten the thing like the proverbial pancake, and regardles of how wealthy the team or individual that built it is; if THAT happens to you out in the middle of the desert (where most rallies are run) then the only pennies that you will be scrounging up my friend are the ones required to pay a friendly passing bedouin to tow you home behind his donkey...
Looking at this thread, didn't all of the factory 950 Rallye bikes have the low exhaust? Probably allows for easier servicing of the top end.

chipwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Probably...

not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipwich
Looking at this thread, didn't all of the factory 950 Rallye bikes have the low exhaust? Probably allows for easier servicing of the top end.
Yes the KTM factory 950 Rallye's did have a low mounted (2 into 1) exhaust system... as do many rally spec' bikes (both single and twin cylinder).

The function of the "low exhaust" is primarily to route the two exhaust pipes and silencers under the rear sidemounted fuel cells of the 950 Rallye and keep the heat build up away from other componentry of the bike under the main (front) fuel tanks and bodywork. The "top end" of the LC8 motor on the Rallye 950's is serviced with the (2 into 1) exhaust airbox and front fuel tanks (one on either side) removed when at the service park in either case.

The action photo's from the thread you linked to , show clearly the carbon fiber under exhaust skid plate/engine protection that I was referring to, that is absent from the Braumandl 950 SE Rallye Edition we are discussing in this thread... thank you Chipwich for helping me illustrate the point.

Quote:

Quote:

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 01:45 PM Reason: photo's are such colourful phrases
Old 09-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
I want to know where the battery went???
Hmm good question. Were is it?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
Hmm good question. Were is it?
Could they have put it "up front" somewhere Mooky...? Like under the fairing cowling or something? There does'nt seem to be any sign of cables or leads heading back to the rear of the bike in the "fuel cell" photo of the Braumandl 950 SE...

Quote:

Quote:
Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #15
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,180
Here's a side shot of mine, and I can tell you there's a lot of crap that needs to be accounted for if you plan on dumping the factory electrical box for an under seat tank...

PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote